Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

LED Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:26 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

Probably, yes, but there's the concern that was brought up that doing so would cause the high beam indicator to be on all the time. I refuse to cut my stock wiring, I'd be game to try this if I could find some short extensions for the fogs similar to what I had for the headlights.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:15 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by gdl2165
Probably, yes, but there's the concern that was brought up that doing so would cause the high beam indicator to be on all the time. I refuse to cut my stock wiring, I'd be game to try this if I could find some short extensions for the fogs similar to what I had for the headlights.
This should fix you up. Found on the forum here btw

I just got through upgrading my fog lights from the 880 stock bulbs to the 50 watt halogen 885 bulbs. (refer to the tech tips article that was written on the subject)...
The deal here is that some models of Corvettes have the fog lights wired directly to ground and others are grounded through the high beam filament. When they are wired through the high beam, the fog lights will go off when the high beams are on. If you upgrad to 885 bulbs... the high beam will glow when the fog lights are on... even if the headlights are OFF!!!
Unfortunately for me... in 1988, the wiring of the bulbs through the high beams was a late production change. On my car, the was to tell was there is a brown wire and a green wire comming from the fog lights. The green wire is the one that goes to the headlight. I cut the green wire and spliced in a 14 guage black wire directly to chassis ground. Now I have 50 watt halogen fog lights that stay on when the high beams are on and they don't cause the high beams to glow when the headlights are off.

Oh yeah... one other thing.... I did have to change my "TAIL" fuse from a 10 amp to a 15 amp... that is also mentioned in the 'tech tip', but it wasn't a problem for me until I also upgraded my front cornering 1156 bulbs to 50 watt halogen bulbs too.

88-L98-Z52 is offline Report Post
Old 12-24-2014, 07:38 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
If the fogs are grounding thru the headlights and are power switched (have not looked at any diagrams just going by what was posted) then wouldn't it be simpler to just ground the fog lights directly and remove the ground lead that's there already from them?
Yes that would make sense. I suggested running an independent chassis ground from the green OEM foglight ground wires going to the S126 node shown in post #40 of this thread.

That node ties together the two green wires running from the OEM fogs on my '89 C4. The schematic referenced in that post is for an '89 that doesn't appear to have direct foglight grounds as do the '90~'96 C4's.

This might be the simple solution I was searching for but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm looking to place that ground without hacking into the OEM foglight wiring harness keeping it intact. Stay tuned.

Last edited by mako41; 04-08-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:44 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by crowz
This should fix you up. Found on the forum here btw
Nice find! Thanks for that.

I'll let you all know if this solution works out.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Circuit Doctor
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

For those interested,
I've put together a writeup to solve this problem. This writeup works on C4s 1990-1996.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588771616

Old 11-08-2018, 11:55 PM
raid007
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ghlkal
These are still a little expensive, but when the price drops I'm considering getting these.

I see three suppliers (and they may actually be the same light)

Nighthawk
Phillips
Truck-Lite

Here's a link Amazon.com: GE NIGHTHAWK LED 5" x 7" Rectangular LED Replacement Headlamp: Automotive

Has anyone gone to LED headlights? I'd be interested in your thoughts.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
nO NEED FOR RELAYS ON A 96, SIMPLY BUY THE CERAMIC H4 TO H3 CONV, CABLE STANDARD PLUG IN AND THAT'S IT .
NOW TO ADDRESS THE FOG LIGHTS, BUY THE SYLVANIA LED BULB CONV. KIT AND AGAIN THE CERAMIC CONVERTER HARNESS THAT
WILL KEEP GROUND ISOLATED TO BOTH THE HEADLIGHTS AND THE FOG LAMPS. (BULB Kit #880- AVAILABLE @ headlightexperts (google it)
THE FOG LIGHTS ARE SO BRIGHT I USE THEM IN LIEU OF THE HEADLIGHTS AS DRIVING LIGHTS (4500 LUMEN)

Last edited by raid007; 11-08-2018 at 11:58 PM. Reason: LEFTOUT PART NUMBER FOR FOGLIGHTS
Old 11-09-2018, 12:04 AM
raid007
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
That might just work! Good luck with it.
I use the ceramic H4 converter to H3 three pong terminal that has the ground rearranged and isolated so the fog lamps remain grounded separate from the headlights,
since the filament terminal is the ground on the regular plug. Now the fog lights and the headlights work unimpeded and your bright lights work properly without staying on all the time.
You can correct this on the above pictured, but to isolate the ground for the fog and not have the bright lights on you will have to reveres the ground out to fog lamps.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:46 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Originally Posted by raid007
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
nO NEED FOR RELAYS ON A 96, SIMPLY BUY THE CERAMIC H4 TO H3 CONV, CABLE STANDARD PLUG IN AND THAT'S IT .
NOW TO ADDRESS THE FOG LIGHTS, BUY THE SYLVANIA LED BULB CONV. KIT AND AGAIN THE CERAMIC CONVERTER HARNESS THAT
WILL KEEP GROUND ISOLATED TO BOTH THE HEADLIGHTS AND THE FOG LAMPS. (BULB Kit #880- AVAILABLE @ headlightexperts (google it)
THE FOG LIGHTS ARE SO BRIGHT I USE THEM IN LIEU OF THE HEADLIGHTS AS DRIVING LIGHTS (4500 LUMEN)
Or you could plug THIS inline
Old 11-09-2018, 02:09 PM
raid007
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aklim
BEST TO DO THIS...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588771616
Tx, Jack
Old 11-09-2018, 04:09 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by raid007
Why is it best? Those resistors are plug and play. This requires soldering wires and bulbs. In one case, I am done as soon as I plug in the thing and put the headlight covers back on. In the other case, you are screwing with solder and wire long after I have driven off.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:13 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Has anyone ever confirmed that those actually solve the same foglight issue that CircuitDoctor's procedure solves?
Old 11-09-2018, 04:15 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Has anyone ever confirmed that those actually solve the same foglight issue that CircuitDoctor's procedure solves?
Pretty sure aklim has it working with 2 resistors.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:17 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

There’s obviously more than one way to tackle this. I just recently added led lighting to my 94 and so just went through this. The method I chose was to permanently ground the headlight feed at the fog lamp relay under the passenger side dash. It’s the light green wire in this pic.

With that wire grounded, the headlights and fog lights all function as normal, and also the high beam indicator no longer comes on with the fog lights like it did when I first put in the leds before I did the relay trick.
The following users liked this post:
94bbbconv (12-01-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 04:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Seems to work for my car. Someone reported getting away with using just one but I couldn't so I used both of them.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:02 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Either you'll have to install the load resistors (to keep controls, etc. working as stock), OR ground the FOG LIGHT relay (refer to the specific FSM for details/location).

Load resistors... https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...bs/4512/10220/

Save yourself from having to buy/install a handful of load resistors and buy this LED electronic flasher. (eliminates the need for load resistors on turn signals, etc.) https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...asher/781/835/

Check w/ you FSM, but on a 90 this "blinker" switch is behind the hush panel approx where you left kneecap is.

LEDs is one of the best mods ever for the C4, ESPECIALLY when driving at night (as long as you get the projector (DOT approved) lights.)

Last edited by Paul Workman; 11-10-2018 at 08:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
raid007 (12-02-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 08:05 PM
94bbbconv
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JBPC4
There’s obviously more than one way to tackle this. I just recently added led lighting to my 94 and so just went through this. The method I chose was to permanently ground the headlight feed at the fog lamp relay under the passenger side dash. It’s the light green wire in this pic.

With that wire grounded, the headlights and fog lights all function as normal, and also the high beam indicator no longer comes on with the fog lights like it did when I first put in the leds before I did the relay trick.
Any thing i need to know on taking the knee bolster and vents out ??

Quick Reply: LED Headlights