Does it add value?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:51 PM
psl5065
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it add value?

Hello all,
New to the site here so maybe a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. Does replacing worn interior materials, (carpets, seat upholstery, door panels, etc.) with new materials detract from the value of old corvettes? I would think the obvious answer would be that it might add $$ to the value but I know with some antique items other than cars, that modifying or updating lessens the value.
Thanks for any input!
Old 02-22-2015, 06:02 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will generally add about 50% of what you spend on a C4.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:06 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

If they are reproduction and replacing worn out materials, no. If the new materials are "Bubba", that will hurt the value.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:03 PM
psl5065
2nd Gear

Dinobob, so you're saying that "stock" type replacement won't add value? I understand "blinging" it at will hurt. Just wondering if its worth replacing the worn stuff for resale value.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:23 PM
jakenks
Instructor

Unless you have a ZR1 or a GS, C4s don't have a lot of "value" in the dollars and cents way. If you redo the interior back to stock or close the biggest value you'll get is the pride of making it look new again. If you're in the car hobby to make $$, you'll most likely be disappointed. TBS, C4 is one of (in my opinion) the coolest of the Corvettes because of the massive changes heralded in by it. It paved the way for what people are buying now in the showrooms.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

He is saying the C4 isnt where you want to invest money to make money. The low perceived retail values makes restoration of these cars not cost effective. When a complete redo of the interior is close to $2k, how much do you think your car is worth now? How much do you think it will be worth when you get done dumping the $2k in it? Probly wont be worth $2k more I assure you. If this car is a hobby car and something your planning on keeping for a while and enjoying, well yeah, go ahead and do it. Go ahead and spend lots of money on the car and when you get ready to sell it just dont expect to get it back. Someone will really appreciate your efforts and investment.

The PO of my car spent $11k in paint and body and a bit in mechanical and I got mine for $3800 if that gives you any idea.

Good luck!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:07 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

If it was a 57 BelAir we'd have different advice for you.

Realistically, this car is a great car to have, but if you replace the interior, first of all do it right -- it's a Corvette, after all. But secondly, you'll have the satisfaction of having a nice -looking car. It's not a car you can pour money into and get money out of. Frankly, there aren't many cars on the market you CAN do that with.

If you want to restore something that will return your money, try houses.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:25 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

I think it depends. If the rest of the car is very good and the interior is a weak point, it is probably worthwhile to buy the parts and do it yourself. If the whole car is weak, paint and interior will have you upside down for sure. Do you have a test case for us?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:44 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

My car could use some interior work, but at about $2K for leather sport seats and another $500 on up for carpet, it's taken a back seat to little things like hood lift struts and so on (which went on last night).

What I really want to spend my money on is headers/heads/exhaust. That should eat up $3K pretty fast, if I shop well.

But ALL of that will not add $2-3K value to my car. The exterior is pretty good. It might give a "wow" value to a prospective buyer, however. Which may bring in another thou or so.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:30 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my 2 cents here. Many may feel the same way....or not.

If I came across a C4 that was in great mechanical and cosmetic condition for $5,000 but the interior was ratty I'd pass. Doing all the labor yourself you could easily spend $2 grand on interior carpet and leather. Add door panels and just add up the bucks.

However, If I came across a similar Vette that was done I'd gladly pay $2 grand more all else being equal.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdsps

If I came across a C4 that was in great mechanical and cosmetic condition for $5,000 but the interior was ratty I'd pass. Doing all the labor yourself you could easily spend $2 grand on interior carpet and leather. Add door panels and just add up the bucks.

However, If I came across a similar Vette that was done I'd gladly pay $2 grand more all else being equal.

I'm not sure how much more value it would all to a car, but if you were selling it, It would be much more desirable to a buyer than one with a worn out interior. I think that would justify a higher selling price too though.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:50 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Al agree with the above. But also, if you think putting $5k into your engine and $2k into the interior, it doesn't add $7k to the selling value of your car. You'd have to get the car for next to nothing to get your money back. At least in these parts (Inland NW).
Old 02-26-2015, 11:08 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

If two identical cars were parked beside each other and both were for sale, which one would you buy? The one in better shape cosmetically or the one that needs cosmetic work? I'd opt for the one that had the work done already, every time.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:31 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 86C4Z51
Al agree with the above. But also, if you think putting $5k into your engine and $2k into the interior, it doesn't add $7k to the selling value of your car. You'd have to get the car for next to nothing to get your money back. At least in these parts (Inland NW).
I don't think there's any money in "flipping" c-4's....I did exactly ...2k on interior, 5k on engine....also 6k for pairnt.....never will get my money back, but don't want to anyway....car is too fun to drive to get rid of for any price....

The following 2 users liked this post by playsdixie:
Jon Hekking (01-02-2016), MavsAK (01-03-2016)
Old 02-26-2015, 01:52 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Well there you go. Looks sweet!

(I hope you hooked up your air plenum to the inlet after that pic!)

They become works of art, if you're going to keep them.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:20 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

I did hook it up.....didn't pay much for it, but know, everytime I start it and hear that exhaust, I think i'd never sell it.....worth every penny to me....I think that's the way it is with a lot of c4 owners...we all know they're not much for blue book value....but nobody wants to part with their c'4's....
Old 03-05-2015, 09:54 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

The shape of the car is classic. That, along with great handling and decent power, makes a really fun car to drive. As long as there is a reasonably smooth road. I drag the nose on my car on the streets around here sometimes. Apparently the folks who built the roads don't have a level.

Get notified of new replies

To Does it add value?

Old 03-06-2015, 10:20 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdsps

So far, the money I'm spending on my '84 I feel strongly is keeping pace with the value. However, I'm about at the limit for that, and the differences will become more incremental.

I bought the car for $2500 in need of a lot of stuff. Now that I've put $1500+ into it (and a lot of time and effort), I feel it's easily worth $4000.

If I put $5000 more into it though, it wouldn't be worth $9000, it would be more like $5000...

Beyond a certain point, it's called a labor of love, I guess.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:01 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike

I'm not sure how much more value it would all to a car, but if you were selling it, It would be much more desirable to a buyer than one with a worn out interior. I think that would justify a higher selling price too though.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:23 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

As others have said, you'd be at a net loss. But does it "add value to the car?" Yes, absolutely, if you restore it to original. Just not enough value added to make back the money you spent if you tried to flip it. Not an investment, but the value of the car does increase if, say, the interior was shot and you restored it.

Originally Posted by 86C4Z51
My car could use some interior work, but at about $2K for leather sport seats and another $500 on up for carpet, it's taken a back seat to little things like hood lift struts and so on (which went on last night).

What I really want to spend my money on is headers/heads/exhaust. That should eat up $3K pretty fast, if I shop well.

But ALL of that will not add $2-3K value to my car. The exterior is pretty good. It might give a "wow" value to a prospective buyer, however. Which may bring in another thou or so.
I agree with your assessment. But are you saying you need new seats altogether, or just covers and perhaps foams? Because that can be done for half the price you quoted with some careful shopping and doing the work yourself.

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
So far, the money I'm spending on my '84 I feel strongly is keeping pace with the value. However, I'm about at the limit for that, and the differences will become more incremental.

I bought the car for $2500 in need of a lot of stuff. Now that I've put $1500+ into it (and a lot of time and effort), I feel it's easily worth $4000.

If I put $5000 more into it though, it wouldn't be worth $9000, it would be more like $5000...

Beyond a certain point, it's called a labor of love, I guess.
Yeah, essentially its progressively diminishing returns. But if you do the work yourself, shop carefully and are economical with your decisions, you can come out looking pretty good for the $ up to a certain point.

These are not collectors cars, so the high dollar return just isn't there. In 20 years, the ZR1 should start getting seriously collectable and we may see prices start skyrocketing, but that's not your average C4, and thats not today.

Quick Reply: Does it add value?