C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

pic request - 85 corvette - original plug wire routing

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Default pic request - 85 corvette - original plug wire routing

anybody have a low mileage 85 with original spark plug wires and routing? any chance of posting a couple pics? I'm getting into routing the wires, but the 85's FSM routing seems to be different than later year L98's - some wires route in front of the distributor, whereas later years are behind the distributor. wondering if there is a typo in the FSM - ??? TIA -
Old 08-13-2015, 11:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
anybody have a low mileage 85 with original spark plug wires and routing? any chance of posting a couple pics? I'm getting into routing the wires, but the 85's FSM routing seems to be different than later year L98's - some wires route in front of the distributor, whereas later years are behind the distributor. wondering if there is a typo in the FSM - ??? TIA -
Where are the snapshots/images you had in this thread?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1586926103

I believe Cliff's is a CI '86 and he made comments in that same thread. He purchased his NEW as did Ray Quayle and I believe Ray's is also a CI '86 but certainly not sure. Ask Ray?

Does your FSM show a carb also?
Old 08-13-2015, 01:09 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Where are the snapshots/images you had in this thread?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1586926103

I believe Cliff's is a CI '86 and he made comments in that same thread. He purchased his NEW as did Ray Quayle and I believe Ray's is also a CI '86 but certainly not sure. Ask Ray?

Does your FSM show a carb also?
"where are the snapshots?" hell, I don't even remember the thread, let alone the pics. probably a cut and paste from some fleabay link. damn, it's tough getting old, and yes, my FSM does show a (partial) carb. so much for the typo in the FSM. I have pics of my original wires and routing, but they were taken some 20 years ago - who knows where they are -

Last edited by Joe C; 08-14-2015 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:31 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I saw that the FSM required the #2 and #3 wires to go in front of the distributor, but they couldn't go that way because there wasn't enough space between the rear of the plenum and the distributor cap. Mine came from the factory with the wires behind the distributor cap.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:16 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I saw that the FSM required the #2 and #3 wires to go in front of the distributor, but they couldn't go that way because there wasn't enough space between the rear of the plenum and the distributor cap. Mine came from the factory with the wires behind the distributor cap.
thanks cliff - I will most likely follow that routing, which, BTW, is the same as my 90.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:28 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
thanks cliff - I will most likely follow that routing, which, BTW, is the same as my 90.
Yes the same, the only thing that changed is the supports at the rear of the cylinder heads for the looms and of course the looms. I believe that most year FSM's still show the routing and supports used with the earlier perimeter bolt covers and also still show the #2 & #3 in front of the distributor with a note that says MUST. I believe that actually the images are of an L83 and not a carb'd intake as was mentioned by others and I agreed until I looked at the '90 FSM just now.

The brake booster vacuum port at the intake rear and the fuel supply on the RH front certainly "hint" L83 Cross-Fire.

I might have to revisit an earlier FSM. Your '85 looms and supports on your '85 should be just like the '90 FSM. I would imagine the '91 is incorrect also. A fellow asked about the '89 rear supports on the cylinder heads some time ago and I mentioned this. He finally just caved and fabricated something I believe.

In your '90 FSM check 6D4-7

From an '84 FSM:

Name:  L83 plug wires.png
Views: 3591
Size:  115.4 KB

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-14-2015 at 05:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To pic request - 85 corvette - original plug wire routing

Quick Reply: pic request - 85 corvette - original plug wire routing