1800 Dollar Corvette Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 11:23 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
My uncle worked on boats for many years so i'm sure he know's what he's doing
Great asset to have with owning a corvette!
Old 01-15-2016, 03:42 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep up the terrific work! It's always a beautiful thing when a car finds THE owner who loves THAT car for the sheer joy of ownership regardless of condition or provenance.

Happy for you,

Lee
The following users liked this post:
BrandensBeast (01-15-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 09:20 PM
biodude
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to chime in and say I love watching this thread!
I recently got my first '93 c4 at 20, and I enjoy every minute of it. It was in pretty great shape when I got it, though it set me back $8900. I've done a bunch of little things to it, but it'd be fun restoring one full on like you did as well! I love working on cars

My brother is going to start driving soon and it'd be cool to find an early c4 to work on with him, to replace the beater Camaro I've got as well.

Keep up the great work man, it's very inspiring seeing you progress!
Old 01-16-2016, 08:17 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Looking Great ... Be sure to use SMC compatible bonding agents for any repairs as SMC has a release agent in it and some fiberglass resins will not bond.

At this rate you will be on the road this summer

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7673682_sm...***-resin.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-tutorial.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ss-repair.html

Last edited by FASTAZU; 01-16-2016 at 08:22 AM.
skyhawk50 (04-03-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 08:15 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Got some stuff done on the vette today, mainly putting the wheels back on the RIGHT way finally, looks much better (the actual tires are on wrong now ) got some lugnuts from DPaccessories (very good packaging and quality for the price) pretty cheap 23 bucks and free shipping, I wanted all the lugnuts on the car to be the same so if I ever do need to get them off in a emergency they'd all be the same size, plus they look a lot better. Today I painted the door sill and part of the door since they looked horrible (The door sill cover will be put on over some of what was painted but you get the idea) was my first time really taping off anything and painting it. Took about 3 hours prep 1 hour to paint, doesn't look amazing but a hell of a lot better then what it did look like! The camera on my phone didn't pick up how bad it looked before paint but it was much worse then it looked. Thank's for all the support as always!

Edit: WOW this thread got over 700 views since friday, last I saw it was at 8,700 total and not 9,400. That's amazing guys! Keeps me motivated to keep going with this project.
Attached Images           

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 01-16-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:11 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

My uncle worked on boats for many years so i'm sure he know's what he's doing
this is not a boat. and some of the things used to patch fiberglass boats will not work on repairing corvettes. something about the mold release used in makeing them. just trying to give you a heads up. I am sure someone knows for sure. please post what he used to make the repair. keep up the good work Branden.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:02 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Hey guy's the progress is going slower then I wanted, my truck has an ABS issue that's going to get looked at on saturday and no idea what the fix is going to cost me, I'd like to purchase the carpet set for the car in 2 weeks but we'll see what happens! Waiting on something very small from ecklers that I bought yesterday.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:18 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
this is not a boat. and some of the things used to patch fiberglass boats will not work on repairing corvettes. something about the mold release used in makeing them. just trying to give you a heads up. I am sure someone knows for sure. please post what he used to make the repair. keep up the good work Branden.
Dude, that horse is well clear of the barn. Now you're

If he got it right, all is well. If he got it wrong, he will get the chance to re-do it if it fails. Even if it's wrong, it could outlive Branden's interest in the vehicle.

Would you suggest proactively re-doing the fiberglass?

Your point has been made several times. But the best advice in the world won't help when the deed is already done.

Press on.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:28 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by Renfield
Dude, that horse is well clear of the barn. Now you're

If he got it right, all is well. If he got it wrong, he will get the chance to re-do it if it fails. Even if it's wrong, it could outlive Branden's interest in the vehicle.

Would you suggest proactively re-doing the fiberglass?

Your point has been made several times. But the best advice in the world won't help when the deed is already done.

Press on.
if you say so but I was asking Branden what was used.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 01-24-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:44 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

No need to argue in my thread please, I honestly just haven't gotten around to asking my uncle what he used, been really busy and I've forgotten to ask when I was there.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:00 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

No need to argue in my thread please, I honestly just haven't gotten around to asking my uncle what he used, been really busy and I've forgotten to ask when I was there.
keep up the good work Branden I wish I could have gotten my kid to do something like this. I for one am proud of you.
BrandensBeast (01-25-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 09:10 PM
Renfield
Drifting

What constitutes an argument these days really amazes me. Am I the only one who feels beaten about the head and shoulders over a DONE DEAL fee crimes sake?!?

I am truly sorry. Antfarmer2, by all means ask yet again. Because it's more important to show how much you know better than to wish Branden well and move on.

Last edited by Renfield; 01-25-2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: ants at a picnic
Old 01-24-2016, 09:12 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Hey guy's the progress is going slower then I wanted, my truck has an ABS issue that's going to get looked at on saturday and no idea what the fix is going to cost me, I'd like to purchase the carpet set for the car in 2 weeks but we'll see what happens! Waiting on something very small from ecklers that I bought yesterday.
Sometimes it seems like there's always something blocking to road to progress. Hope it's a cheap fix for you and you can stay on track with your carpet install.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:00 AM
Pa'svette
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18,'19

I wouldn't it take as an argument Branden, both guys are trying to be helpful. I'd take as a heads up to keep an eye on the repair in case it needs to be redone.
Myself and everyone else following this thread are wishing you the best and proud of you for bringing the Beast back to life.
Keep going
Old 01-25-2016, 07:45 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Thank's for all the support guys, just small suggestions seem to end up in arguments on this site (other threads for example) and I just want none of that in mine. Huge thank's for breaking 10,000 views a few days ago, huge amount of support in just a few months!
Old 01-26-2016, 09:02 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Thank's for all the support guys, just small suggestions seem to end up in arguments on this site (other threads for example) and I just want none of that in mine. Huge thank's for breaking 10,000 views a few days ago, huge amount of support in just a few months!
We're all passionate about your project, Branden. I'm sorry if my comments offended you.

P.C. was invented long after I was hardwired the other way.

Keep up the great work!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:16 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Noones comments have offended me whatsoever and thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To 1800 Dollar Corvette Build

Old 02-15-2016, 12:56 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Hey guys, Branden here. Me and my ex girlfriend just brokeup on valentines day yesterday, kinda sucks. Gotta look at the situation positively, now there's more money for the Vette to get done, next weekend I will be purchasing the full carpet kit for the car in black I believe, unless I end up buying something else next weekend for the Vette. Regardless something will be bought to get the Vette closer to being ready in the spring, hope everyone had a good valentines day, can't wait to post more progress on the Vette finally getting closer to being done, long over due!
Old 02-15-2016, 01:21 PM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Brandon,

You must be a very patient person. I like this thread because you are giving us a personal blown up HD view of components that we would never take apart unless we had to. I realize you had to but it is a great source of information (probably better than an FSM in some cases. The diagrams don't always show the part in such detail). I hope the admins make this a Sticky. So we don't have to search forever.

I wish you the best. Keep it up. I do have one suggestion. On some of the parts you are painting, it would be good to clear coat them with gloss or matt clear depending on the surface. If it is a high use area. It will wear a lot better so you don't ever show flaking or scratches in your good restoration work.

Good luck,

WEK.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:25 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by skullandbones
Brandon,

You must be a very patient person. I like this thread because you are giving us a personal blown up HD view of components that we would never take apart unless we had to. I realize you had to but it is a great source of information (probably better than an FSM in some cases. The diagrams don't always show the part in such detail). I hope the admins make this a Sticky. So we don't have to search forever.

I wish you the best. Keep it up. I do have one suggestion. On some of the parts you are painting, it would be good to clear coat them with gloss or matt clear depending on the surface. If it is a high use area. It will wear a lot better so you don't ever show flaking or scratches in your good restoration work.

Good luck,

WEK.
Thank's a lot, I appreciate the support. Most of the things i'm doing as far as paint goes will be redone several years from now and be done properly when I feel more confident doing so, most of the high use things do have a clear coat on them, such as the handles for example. Thank you for also saying this is a great source for information, I do my best with a phone camera and what little knowledge I have .

Quick Reply: 1800 Dollar Corvette Build