1800 Dollar Corvette Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:08 AM
C4gold
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
Gettin there, headlights done for now, all bolted down instead of being loose and wobbly! passenger door panel is on (still red) forgot to take a picture.
Been following along on your build and I must say your doing a great job! Being a new vette owner myself I have always wanted one but never realized they were so much fun! Keep up the great work because it will all be worth it when you are able to drive and enjoy the fruits of your labor!
The following users liked this post:
BrandensBeast (12-02-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 07:04 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Just purchased some part's for the vette from rockauto since a forum member posted a link to where a huge amount of 84 part's are dirt cheap on clearence sale so I had to spend some money, 88 dollars in parts and 23 dollars in shipping (these parts all together can't way more then 15 pounds!!!!) will post pictures when they come in!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:32 AM
L98Justin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Keep up the good work Branden
BrandensBeast (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Just purchased some part's for the vette from rockauto since a forum member posted a link to where a huge amount of 84 part's are dirt cheap on clearence sale so I had to spend some money, 88 dollars in parts and 23 dollars in shipping (these parts all together can't way more then 15 pounds!!!!) will post pictures when they come in!
Nice grab! They ship pretty fast from my experience.
BrandensBeast (12-11-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 01:23 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Did some cleaning today on these (really busy today!) but they will be painted this week, along with the mirrors. Something I found really interesting is when you look closely at picture 3 notice how the strap is grey and one is red, is there a reason for this? Pretty confident these are original, they're actually one of my favorite details on the car the GM logo, almost seems like a part of the car is hanging onto the 70's still. Cleaned up really well, what they were covered in, I don't know and don't want to know
Attached Images     
Old 12-14-2015, 08:38 AM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

All sorts of nasty stuff finds its way down between the seats and underneath. Take advantage of the warm weather while you can.

Gary
Old 12-15-2015, 08:38 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Early Christmas for the vette! Got some parts and painted the seat buckle's today. Still waiting on another package (nothing as big as this one) Had the biggest smile on my face when I saw this box

What I bought for the vette was this:
Spark plug wires (other ones were WAYYY to long, where or what car they came from is beyond me)
x16 spark plugs
x2 distributor rotor's
Headlamp switch
Radiator upper/lower hose (mine are too old and dry rotted to trust)
Radiator fan motor connector (should fix the fan not spinning fast enough)
Thermostat
x5 Mobil one oil filters
Transmission filter kit

And waiting on 2 sets of wiper blades
Attached Images    

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 12-15-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Early Christmas for the vette! Got some parts and painted the seat buckle's today. Still waiting on another package (nothing as big as this one) Had the biggest smile on my face when I saw this box

What I bought for the vette was this:
Spark plug wires (other ones were WAYYY to long, where or what car they came from is beyond me)
x16 spark plugs
x2 distributor rotor's
Headlamp switch
Radiator upper/lower hose (mine are too old and dry rotted to trust)
Radiator fan motor connector (should fix the fan not spinning fast enough)
Thermostat
x5 Mobil one oil filters
Transmission filter kit

And waiting on 2 sets of wiper blades
Nothing like getting a couple boxes of vette parts in the mail!
Old 12-15-2015, 10:30 PM
biker4ever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
Nothing like getting a couple boxes of vette parts in the mail!
Old 12-15-2015, 11:40 PM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice pile of parts.
Don't forget about the heater hoses.

Gary
Old 12-17-2015, 04:18 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Windshield wipers!
Attached Images   
Old 12-19-2015, 08:26 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm just discovering that I like building them a bit more tan just driving 'em!m Seems I have a young clone, back east!

Nice wok. Doncha love it, when so much is greatly improved with scrubbing and painting? Cleaning and lubing?
Old 12-19-2015, 08:42 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by whalepirot
I'm just discovering that I like building them a bit more tan just driving 'em!m Seems I have a young clone, back east!

Nice wok. Doncha love it, when so much is greatly improved with scrubbing and painting? Cleaning and lubing?
For some of us its a never ending battle!
Old 12-20-2015, 01:18 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Some pics will be going up tomorrow well I mean today... I need to get some sleep!

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 12-20-2015 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:04 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Took all the wheels off the car yesterday and decided to try and clean up the rims, thought I took a picture of all 4 but you get the point anyway, left was not cleaned and the right one was cleaned. They can be gone over 1 or 2 more times and look a lot better I think, but the black paint in the center is kind of bubbling, hard to explain. But these rims are only staying on the car until I can buy new ones (to match the black and white combo for this build) Took the windshield wiper tank out because the fluid in it was green/black (who knows how old it was but it was disgusting) and that was a huge pain in the ***, inner fender flare had to come out, out of the 13 screws or whatever holding it in ofcourse the last one was stripped so we had to break it (Me and my uncle spent 20 minutes trying to get it out without breaking it but gave in since the car needs new inner fender flares down the road anyway) so we just broke the plastic to get it out, I'm sure i'll be shunned for that but whatever, sure enough we finally get the tank out (after taking one of the body panels off) and go figure, the tank has a small crack. Didn't leak until we got it out but that's how things work I guess Currently drying in my sink and will be JB welded, I'm sure there's better ways but it will rarely be used and I don't feel like buying one for such a small problem, the pump was coated in a rubber out of the factory? It was all dry rotted and peeled up so I just took it off since it was serving no real purpose. The pump looks pretty bad but will be replaced if it doesn't work. A lot to type but I hope my problems with this car is giving at least one of you following a laugh.
Attached Images     

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 12-20-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Took all the wheels off the car yesterday and decided to try and clean up the rims, thought I took a picture of all 4 but you get the point anyway, left was not cleaned and the right one was cleaned. They can be gone over 1 or 2 more times and look a lot better I think, but the black paint in the center is kind of bubbling, hard to explain. But these rims are only staying on the car until I can buy new ones (to match the black and white combo for this build) Took the windshield wiper tank out because the fluid in it was green/black (who knows how old it was but it was disgusting) and that was a huge pain in the ***, inner fender flare had to come out, out of the 13 screws or whatever holding it in ofcourse the last one was stripped so we had to break it (Me and my uncle spent 20 minutes trying to get it out without breaking it but gave in since the car needs new inner fender flares down the road anyway) so we just broke the plastic to get it out, I'm sure i'll be shunned for that but whatever, sure enough we finally get the tank out (after taking one of the body panels off) and go figure, the tank has a small crack. Didn't leak until we got it out but that's how things work I guess Currently drying in my sink and will be JB welded, I'm sure there's better ways but it will rarely be used and I don't feel like buying one for such a small problem, the pump was coated in a rubber out of the factory? It was all dry rotted and peeled up so I just took it off since it was serving no real purpose. The pump looks pretty bad but will be replaced if it doesn't work. A lot to type but I hope my problems with this car is giving at least one of you following a laugh.
Got to love those stripped screws, they make it more memorable. The pump on my 86 has a rubber sheath around it to keep it clean. Used washer reservoirs are fairly cheap. When I got my car I filled mine up only for it to leak out the bottom. Lol. Keep at it!
Old 12-21-2015, 08:10 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Great progress!

Car is coming along great! Hopefully in the spring we can catch up at one of the CT shows. This years winter has been very kind, so far. Knock on wood.

Get notified of new replies

To 1800 Dollar Corvette Build

Old 12-21-2015, 08:17 PM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

16 spark plugs?????
And mine only uses 9!

Will the JB Weld hold on the plastic tank?
Maybe you could get some compatible plastic cement or
possibly "heat-weld" it together, for lack of a better term.

Last edited by Vetteblack-96; 12-21-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:46 PM
mcguirjf
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Try M&J in Colchester

Did a quick search on www.car-part.com and M&J in Colchester has one for $40 out of an 1985.

The website is a national directory to salvage yards.

If the JB weld doesn't work, here is a plan B.

Last edited by mcguirjf; 12-21-2015 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-22-2015, 01:30 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

It's JB welded so we'll see what happens, if it breaks it breaks. One of my smallest concerns for the vette

Quick Reply: 1800 Dollar Corvette Build