C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Outside Temp Display

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:04 PM
afgunn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94 Outside Temp Display

I have a 94 with the Automatic Electronic Climate Control. The display on the control now displays the set temperature and NOT the outside temperature!? If the OFF button is pressed the outside temperature will display temporarily. The display used to display the outside temperature and I do not know what I did to change this. I have looked through the owner's manual and service manuals and have not been able to find a fix. Anyone know how to set the display to display the outside temperature again?

Thanks!

Last edited by afgunn; 01-04-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:06 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

the sensor is under the pass side bumper look for bug nest in it and the connections.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:38 PM
afgunn
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
the sensor is under the pass side bumper look for bug nest in it and the connections.
Unless I am missing something I do not see how the location of the sensor helps. I am not having problems with the sensor reading the correct temperature. The correct outside temperature is displayed momentarily when the OFF button is depressed. My problem is that the display displays the set point temperature constantly instead of the outside temperature.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:09 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by afgunn
Unless I am missing something I do not see how the location of the sensor helps. I am not having problems with the sensor reading the correct temperature. The correct outside temperature is displayed momentarily when the OFF button is depressed. My problem is that the display displays the set point temperature constantly instead of the outside temperature.
sorry I was thinking if you knew the location you could check it and the connections. did you run the self check yet? you tube has a video if you don't know how.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 01-05-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:21 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

I have a 94 with the Automatic Electronic Climate Control. The display on the control now displays the set temperature and NOT the outside temperature!? If the OFF button is pressed the outside temperature will display temporarily. The display used to display the outside temperature and I do not know what I did to change this. I have looked through the owner's manual and service manuals and have not been able to find a fix. Anyone know how to set the display to display the outside temperature again?

Thanks!
Do the up and down arrows both change the set temperature? Possibly one side or the other is sticking in the switches.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:07 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Do the up and down arrows both change the set temperature? Possibly one side or the other is sticking in the switches.

I would pull the control head, take the front panel apart right down to where the buttons are loose. Clean the rubber contactor and the printed board with alcohol. Check for anything visible broken or debris anywhere. Clean the internal pins on the board also that had to be removed initially. If it looks good try it again
Old 01-06-2016, 07:55 AM
afgunn
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
sorry I was thinking if you knew the location you could check it and the connections. did you run the self check yet? you tube has a video if you don't know how.
I will try the self check again. Maybe there was something in there that changed the display. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2016, 07:56 AM
afgunn
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Yes, I am able to change the setpoint temperature and it stays on that temperature. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:59 AM
afgunn
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcolt94

I would pull the control head, take the front panel apart right down to where the buttons are loose. Clean the rubber contactor and the printed board with alcohol. Check for anything visible broken or debris anywhere. Clean the internal pins on the board also that had to be removed initially. If it looks good try it again
Sounds reasonable but how much trouble is it to pull the "control head" and take apart the "front panel"?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:17 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

It's no 10 minute job. You have to pull the center console flip top off, loosen screws to bezel around shifter, center AC vent, bezel around the radio and controller. Then you can pull the control head out with a few screws and a plug on the rear.

Then comes disassembly of the controller. You need a 3/16 nut driver for that. Need also star drives, 7mm socket and possible some assorted normal tools which from memory would cover it.

Tools are everything and don’t pull on plastic as there is age on most of it. This may take you half day if you have never done it. Knowing where all screws are is key also.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:43 PM
afgunn
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveP85C4
I recently had a 92 that did this. I couldn't figure it out either. The C68 was functioning properly. No codes after I charged the refrigerant system and cleared the 09.

Well..., I fixed the display! It now displays the outside temp correctly! The fix was to unplug the temperature door motor! This is almost as good as when I fixed a Toyota Celica in the early '70s. The car would go about 2 miles and then shutoff as if you had turned the switch off. You could then start the car up and go about 2 more miles before it cutoff again. The fix... replace the blown heater fuse!

This will be the 3rd replacement of the temp door motor. I do not know why the first one stopped working, but this one probably is my fault. I operated the motor before installing it to make sure all was working (before I had the shop manual that says not to do that), and it over drove the motor into the stop and damaged the POT (not the kind you smoke) inside. The POT is damaged. When the motor drives to the damaged end the ohms goes from 10K to 24K... damaged. Probably why the display was displaying incorrectly!? But why that!? At least I found the problem with the display.

Last edited by afgunn; 01-11-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:10 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Sounds reasonable but how much trouble is it to pull the "control head" and take apart the "front panel"?
It's really easy to do. If you take it apart and get lost, we are here to help
Old 01-12-2016, 09:37 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

I had some similar problems few years back. Take this link and information for whatever might be of some help. The gears for the pot has to be aligned correctly and the pot has no stop on it. I figured out a process to align it but took a while. Unless water destroyed the pot, hard to believe its bad. If positioned wrong, the resistance might be real high.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...blem-94-a.html

Get notified of new replies

To Outside Temp Display

Quick Reply: Outside Temp Display