C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Wrap vs paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 08:13 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Wrap vs paint

I have a 1988 C4 with factory paint. I am asking what the opinions are on a wrap job (factory red color, best match to look like a paint job.)
I say that because radical choices are available choosing a wrap. Metallic colors for example.
A friend of mine owns a shop and told me the wrap manufacturer has a warranty on it should it fail. I assume 3 years no more. A cheap spray and go is the same cost. $2000-$2300. The possibility exists I may have to have the surface prepared before doing the wrap. I was told this can cost $400-$600 depending on the rock damage. A smooth surface is vital to appear like new paint. In my case the hood has lots of tiny rock chips.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:23 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Honestly, I would get it repainted. But that's just me. IMO, a wrap is a waste of money.

Last edited by 1993C4LT1; 04-13-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:25 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Paint it unless your going to change colors in the future.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:09 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Wrap is for race cars.

Plasti dip is for ricers, racers, or temporary satisfaction.

Paint is an investment in the car that probably won't pay off.

If you find a GOOD detailer they can touch up and buff to restore.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:44 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Wrap is for race cars.

Plasti dip is for ricers, racers, or temporary satisfaction.

Paint is an investment in the car that probably won't pay off.

If you find a GOOD detailer they can touch up and buff to restore.
It all boils down to money. It seems nobody so far is in favor of a wrap. I found MAACO or an equivalent shop wants a couple thousand dollars. Minimal prep work at best. I had one young guy tell me he could paint the car for $3,000. He told me the paint would last 5 years minimum before it could fade or whatever. He stressed the sun being the enemy as well as rock chips. The same holds true with the wrap holding up. I've seen a couple wrap jobs and the appearance made me consider doing it to my C4.
It seems the wrap has a bad rap.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:06 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
It all boils down to money. It seems nobody so far is in favor of a wrap. I found MAACO or an equivalent shop wants a couple thousand dollars. Minimal prep work at best. I had one young guy tell me he could paint the car for $3,000. He told me the paint would last 5 years minimum before it could fade or whatever. He stressed the sun being the enemy as well as rock chips. The same holds true with the wrap holding up. I've seen a couple wrap jobs and the appearance made me consider doing it to my C4.
It seems the wrap has a bad rap.
The heat would be my main concern with a wrap, especially in AZ. I have seen some really nice ones that you could not tell were wraps until you looked very closely. As for paint, you get what you pay for. A $3k Maaco job will look good for a few years, but it will not hold up. These cars are not worth what a proper paint job costs, the prep alone could run $3-5k. Our 89 needs paint (faded rear deck) but I can't justify spending that much money on a driver that is not garaged. Besides, it won't rust, and from the drivers seat it looks great !
Old 04-13-2016, 11:13 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I agree that painting in the long run would be a better option. You might want to discuss in depth with the Macco shop including the possibility of you doing some of the prep work like taking handles, moldings, lights off and then paying additional for higher quality paint products. If you could trade some labor for some better product and still same within the price of wrap I would go the paint route.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:18 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

To explain my situation a little better, I have over $22,000 spent on this C4. It seems like a crossroads for sure. A paint job would be ideal for the above mentioned reasons. I think it would look fantastic to have a fresh paint job. The guy who quoted me $3,000 said If the car is critiqued by a pro the flaws would be noticeable to him. The average customer would not notcie anything wrong. I believe he said paint and clear coat with shop supplies right around $500-$700. The rest labor for him to prep and spray the car. He has a shop so there's overhead of course and I get it. The wrap is a savings of $1,000 roughly. Doesn't seem like a bargain if it peels or bubbles in 5 years.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:24 AM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Wrap is worth less if you sell it as well.
Wraps hide damage so people wont trust the car as much.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:05 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Check out the mirror finish on the old Wolseley on this link.. It was rollered, then brush painted (brushes, thinners, primer, undercoat and top coat for $100!!)

Would you dare?

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum...pic.php?t=6540

Paint from these guys in the UK, but I bet there's a USA supplier of enamel brushing paint somewhere's

http://www.craftmasterpaints.co.uk/

Last edited by exitwound; 04-14-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:57 AM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I painted mine over 2 years ago and it still looks great. I am not sure why everyone automatically assumes a paint job less than 10K will go to **** in less than 5 years.

I vote paint it and make sure the shop that does it stands behind their work. Now if they warn you that the job for 3K will only last a few years that is one thing, but I bet you will find someone that is confident in their ability and will give you some sort of guarantee.

Any paint can fade or fail over time if you don't take care of it, if the job gets done right and you take care of it, it should hold up... for less than 5K.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:55 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

With as much money as you've put in this car just paint it and use a quality material. PPG or DuPont system is well worth it. Talk to the painter and ask if they will prime and block sand it prior to top coat.
The following users liked this post:
84wuzmy1st (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 01:12 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Paint it no way to do the hood without seams.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:00 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Don't believe the hype. Paint can be done way cheaper than 3k. You'd be shocked how easy you can diy it even with hi -build primer and wet sanding.

Paint will be fine if applied right, the product is ALWAYS less an issue than prep.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:58 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Don't believe the hype. Paint can be done way cheaper than 3k. You'd be shocked how easy you can diy it even with hi -build primer and wet sanding.

Paint will be fine if applied right, the product is ALWAYS less an issue than prep.

Lots of how-to vids on YouTube. There is a C4 Forum member who posted a complete series on painting his 91 in the garage. Flyboy1 (?).
You can buy a compressor on Craigslist and sell it when you are done.
I like the supplies from TCP Global and Eastwood. Buy paint from your local auto body wholesaler (who can give you great advice too).
This would be a great winter project.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:30 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw

Lots of how-to vids on YouTube. There is a C4 Forum member who posted a complete series on painting his 91 in the garage. Flyboy1 (?).
You can buy a compressor on Craigslist and sell it when you are done.
I like the supplies from TCP Global and Eastwood. Buy paint from your local auto body wholesaler (who can give you great advice too).
This would be a great winter project.
Have you painted Ron? I taught myself to paint in the 80's and quality material for a complete can run a grand easy. Keeping the bugs out and no runs is an art. Cutting and polishing sanding with 2000 and polishing it out is an art. Unless you have experience I would leave this to a pro. My entire Jeep is painted with PPG 2 stage. I can take a lacquer rag and wipe anything including my engine.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:31 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Ok we got your name now LMAO

Get notified of new replies

To Wrap vs paint

Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

With the money you have in the car already you may as well go for a quality paint job. No such thing as halfway pregnant, right ? Just remember that fiberglass is different than steel, it will take paint differently, require different prep work, and take more labor to do overall. It sounds like you plan on keeping the car for quite some time, so the time you spend enjoying the car trumps the money you put into it.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:15 PM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Here in europe lots of people get their Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, Vettes etc. wrapped. 3M warranties their wrap material for 5 or 7 years (cannot remember) and when done properly they look absolutely great. And that 5K+ paintwork is not open to environment and stays in good shape. One can get 2-3 high quality wraps for price of one high quality paintwork. Colormatching a high quality wrap when doing repairs is no problem, same situation with a paintwork can be.

I would have no problem getting my car wrapped instead of painted. To me a high quality paintwork is great but it can be a bit stressfull when used in daily environment (parking lot hits etc.), wrap less so.

Last edited by ToniH; 04-15-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:49 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MrWillys
Have you painted Ron? I taught myself to paint in the 80's and quality material for a complete can run a grand easy. Keeping the bugs out and no runs is an art. Cutting and polishing sanding with 2000 and polishing it out is an art. Unless you have experience I would leave this to a pro. My entire Jeep is painted with PPG 2 stage. I can take a lacquer rag and wipe anything including my engine.

People have been painting their own cars since they have been around. It's something that is possible. If the owner is willing to go with wrap, they should easily be happy with a decent paint job professionally buffed out. There is paint job then Macco. They are full time painters and would trust them if I was the poster. Yes I have paint experience, and not back yard painting.

My business vehicle is wrapped, wrap is not all it's cracked up to be, not for a "corvette" at least.

Quick Reply: Wrap vs paint