onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default C4 gurus: Lend me your expertise

Gotta handful of questions here. Uh, let's see...

Was the Corvette LT-1 engine produced in 1996, the last year for the C-4?

What was the FIRST year for the C-4 Grand Sport? Where ALL the Grand Sports LT-4's AND six-speed equipped? Was there an automatic option for either the Grand Sport OR LT-4 Corvettes?

How many LT-4 Vettes were produced in 1996? Of these, how many were in Grand Sport trim? How many Coupes? 'Verts? Was there a Grand Sport 'Vert option?

Thanks for clearing up the fog. As you can see, I've wondered about this for some time and remain somewhat :confused:
Old 09-10-2002, 10:26 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: C4 gurus: Lend me your expertise (onedef92)

The LT1 was produced in 96 but was only available in the vette when coupled with an auto. All 96 6-spd cars were LT4's

96 was the first and only year for the Grand Sport C-4. I can't say if there was a grand sport auto or not? But if it was a 6-spd it would have the LT4, if it was an auto it would have the LT1.

Production numbers I have no idea. Hope it helps.

Basically to sum it up:

96 6-spd = LT4
96 Auto = LT1

Regardless of the paint scheme.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:33 AM
The Rex
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer your questions as best I can.
#1: Yes, the LT1 was an automatic equipped only option for 96 C4s.
#2: 96 was the only year for the Grand Sport in a C4 body. 63 was the original Grand Sport. There were only a handful of those built in 63. Four or five I believe, but don't quote me on that. All Grand Sports were LT4 six speed optioned. The LT4 was only offered with a six speed trans.
#3: As for exact figures, you got me there. I recommend LT4.com for exact info on that. Yes, there was a Grand Sport vert. It is very rare & highly collectible. A true find, if you can find one.
I hope this helps. :chevy
Old 09-10-2002, 11:20 AM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

LT1 was produced in 96 with auto trans only. 1000 Grands Sports built in 96, 810 coupes, 190 verts, all with LT4 6 speed trans. No auto option for LT4. All LT4's are 6 speed. There were 6359 LT4's produced in 96. Guy
Old 09-10-2002, 11:34 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: C4 gurus: Lend me your expertise (85vetteguy)

So, to summarize. We had TWO different engine and tranny choices in '96. Good. Thanks.

But why were the LT-4 engines offered in non-GS cars? Like the 1996 GS itself, was it GM's way of saluting the long C-4 model run or did they just have a surplus of LT-4 engines to phase out? :confused:
Old 09-10-2002, 11:47 AM
The Rex
Le Mans Master

The General offered the LT4 in 96 because of the model change. They were giving buyers an incentive to purchase the last year of the C4, instead of waiting for the new C5. The LT4 was/is a one year only option. It is under rated at 330 hp. Most of them are around 350 or more out of the box. The LT4 is an absolute HOSS! Trust me on this one. I just bought mine and I love it! I spent months looking for the right one. I am glad I did. All the good words you hear from LT4 owners are true. :chevy
Old 09-10-2002, 11:49 AM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Location: SCMR Rat Pack'r Charter Member, Inland Empire Chapter
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know '96 was the only year they used the LT4. I think it was a tip of the hat to the end of the C4 era.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:51 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I don't know if they had a surplus or what, but it was an option and could only be had with a six-speed transmission. You couldn't get an LT1 in 1996 with a six-speed, only an auto. The auto tranny couldn't handle the power of the LT4. I don't know why you couldn't get a six-speed on an LT1 though. GM's :crazy:

I think the GS was a salute to a great Corvette which revolutionized the industry. Expect a special 2004 model C5 as well, something like the GS. 2004 will be the last year for the C5, so :seeya C5! Hello C6!

Don't forget there was a Collector's Edition in 1996 as well, and there were some with an LT4 as well.
Old 09-12-2002, 06:45 AM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

But why were the LT-4 engines offered in non-GS cars? Like the 1996 GS itself, was it GM's way of saluting the long C-4 model run or did they just have a surplus of LT-4 engines to phase out? :confused:
I don't know, but I'd guess that GM didn't want to go through the hassle of getting the extra gov't certifications (EPA??). Each engine/tranny combo needs to be individually certified, so offering an LT1/6-speed or LT4/auto would probably cost GM a whole bunch of time and money that they weren't interested in spending.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:38 AM
Voltech_LT4
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Re: C4 gurus: Lend me your expertise (JasonL)

all the LT4's really are Grand Sports.....kinda, its just the people had an option to get the GS package which had the bigger tires and the body, ground effects. The collectors Edition also had the GS Engine, which was just a different option that you could order thats all. I myself like the LT4 without the body packages, because its kinda like having a "Stealth" mobile. Nobody knows what you have under the hood until they try and race ya. If they are thinking its a stock vette, they are in for a rude awakening!
Its kinda like the Mustang...back in the day, when they had the Mustang GT that had all the ground effects and then they had the LX model which was really faster because it didnt have all the ground effects weighing it down, but had the same engine. The state police used to drive the LX's on the highway and still do in some areas.
You know you have an LT4 engine if you look under the hood and the intake and engine is red with red letters. It also says Grand Sport. The seats are also different than stock vettes, even the LT4s without the GS package option. The tachometer also is different, it redlines at 6300rpm. The RPO codes (behind the seat in the storage compartment) are under the lid when you open the storage compartment behind the back seat. It should have an RPO code "LT4" which will also tell you if its really an LT4 car. It will also be a 6spd of course. So if its an auto and they tell you its an LT4, tell them they are smoking something good and to let you have some... but I do believe there is "1" and only "1" auto LT4 and its very rare.
This is if I remember right, and it was built special so, you will probably never see it. There was a post about it here on the forum a while back.
vr,
volt :cheers:
Old 09-12-2002, 09:48 PM
BiZ
Le Mans Master

Default Re: C4 gurus: Lend me your expertise (Voltech_LT4)

all the LT4's really are Grand Sports
I can smell the flames already :lol: :lol:
Old 09-13-2002, 02:04 AM
Voltech_LT4
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Re: C4 gurus: Lend me your expertise (BiZ)

hehehe Biz! lol you know what I mean my friend....hehe :lol: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To C4 gurus: Lend me your expertise

Quick Reply: C4 gurus: Lend me your expertise