Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

About to pull the C4 trigger

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:31 PM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

You are correct, no VATS. It started in 86. I'm not a fan of the aftermarket remote starts or alarms. I have removed plenty of them that become problems down the road. From what I've come across they are almost always crudely installed.

Gary
Old 01-02-2017, 06:33 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Buick350X
still 2 more days before I get to see it in person, but already shopping for stuff to buy

Being a 85 there is no Vats right?

What kind of security or alarm is desired amongst yall in C4 land???

1 way, 2 way alarm???

Only 1 hitch, I do not want remote start. Which had killed plans to have one installed local. They only sell the full options $500 ones "installed" [ why? my Jeep came with remote start, after the 5th time of starting it when I had no intention of starting it, I removed to key fobs and hide them, as it has a factory alarm ]
I've had VATS on my 91 F-body and on the Y-body. I still don't have a understanding of why people are so terrified of it. A lot of issues are blamed on it but I have literally 0 problems with the system.

I have whatever alarm it came with. I also installed a keyless entry. Most times I heard an alarm, I watched the car to see if anyone looked or cared. Most times, either the owner shut it down or it timed out. Don't think it helps much other than to give the owner a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Sometimes it comes with the unit. I'd get keyless and it has an alarm or remote start. Just take it and don't have it connected. Better than to pass up a reliable system.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:25 PM
SmokinBlack
Team Owner

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08

No worries about the VATS if you end up with a car with one. If it starts to give you trouble, it's very simple to bypass. I bypassed mine over 20 years ago with a kit from Eklers after being stranded at a gas station when mine acted up. No issues since.

Last edited by SmokinBlack; 01-02-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SmokinBlack
No worries about the VATS if you end up with a car with one. If it starts to give you trouble, it's very simple to bypass. I bypassed mine over 20 years ago with a kit from Eklers after being stranded at a gas station when mine acted up. No issues since.
True. All my VATS problems have been because the key pellet was obstructed. Besides, as you said, it can be bypassed although I wouldn't without a proper kit and installed properly. I have heard of a couple of kits that weren't installed properly and caused yet another problem.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:17 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Most people just go with the factory alarm.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:01 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by markKlein
Most people just go with the factory alarm.
Do you honestly believe that anyone pays any attention to the alarm? I have to say that I don't see much concern when one of them goes off
Old 01-03-2017, 01:20 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Do you honestly believe that anyone pays any attention to the alarm? I have to say that I don't see much concern when one of them goes off
I didn't say it was a great alarm, just saying that most people think it is all they need.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:10 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

A pro thief is gonna take any car he wants, from anywhere he wants, even a police station parking lot in broad day light with 10 cameras pointed at it and no one will know till its long gone never to be seen again. [ like what happens at big car events every year, gone in 30 sec goes 10 $$$$$ classic cars without a trace form the motel parking lot]

Its the screw driver teens looking for an easy joy ride im trying to detour that will bail at the first sign of trouble and just move on to the next car.

Like my 86 Firebird, when I got it the first thing I did was remove the top glass mounted 3rd brake light. That was a giant sign that said [ hey, no Vats here, 30sec with a screw driver per joy ride ]

even if they get no where, a peeled column isn't fun to fix.

I want them to move on to something easier to joy ride in.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
They do have a starter interrupt if the factory alarm is triggered.
I didn't know that, that should be enough. All my Jeep has, factory alarm with the flashing security light on dash. Kinda sucks to use on a date, you can only open the drivers door with the key "first". If not the horn beeps and it will not start no matter what you do. [ must re lock doors and open drivers first ]

The joy ride peelers know to avoid those models. They have forums and share info like we do and know the easy targets.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:16 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

I have the starter interupt on my 85. I can tell you it does work. My mechanic mistakedly tripped the alarm (horn blowing) and the starter interupt activated. It will not crank for a few minutes. I can't remember how many minutes. But he (20 year mechanic) didn't know how to start the car in this situation. He called me and I had to explain it to him. That alone tells me a stupid theif isn't going to get my car.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 01-04-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Well the weather turned foul and its posponed till next week, need the streets clear of ice n snow to get a decent test ride done. Just 40s n rain next week.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Just bought my 85 at Thanksgiving and paid $4,500 for it. Overall mine was well maintained but needed the normal updating that any 32 year old car will. Only mod done to mine was an updated HVAC system with 134a in it. I am in the process of installing new injectors, hoses, plugs, belt, vacuum lines etc. Interior will need new mats (damn those are kinda expensive), carpet.

There are a ton of electronics on the interior that you normally don't see in a car of this vintage. The power seats have 100 different adjustments. Make sure all the switches and buttons work or at least have an idea of what it will take to repair/replace.

Yes, the BFG tires are the only ones I have found readily available in the factory size that are designed for everyday street driving. My Goodyears are 10yrs old with a ton of tread left but I will probably be ditching them due to age. The BFGs get fair reviews from what I have seen from guys like me that plan on just cruising/playing with the car and not taking it too seriously. I'm still debating upgrading wheels. Lots of guys here say there is a substantial performance gain and tire availability going to 17 or 18". Just be careful of the different offsets in the different year models. An 85 is going to have either a 36 or 38mm offset based on which suspension package it has.

Speaking of which, can you get the owner to take a pic of the build sheet sticker? That way you can look up how the vette was originally equipped.

My take is that they are damn fun cars to drive and to work on. Tons of parts both new and used available. Expect to be turning wrenches on it and putting some money into it period. It's 32 years old. Not sure where else you can spend $4,500 and get the same bang for the buck performance wise and a great base for mods and improvements.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Buick350X
Instructor

Thing just would not work out with the 85, was the guys grandfathers, hes got a C6 and don't want it. But then his grandfather don't want him to sell it, wants his other grandson to be able to drive it. But I can still come test drive it if I want? Just been real odd. To the point I was just gonna show up with money and try and just leave with it but ill take that as a sign to pass...

Myself I would not get ride of my Grandfathers Vette.

Tomorrow im gonna buy a red 86 for the same money.

I kinda didn't want a red one, wanted gold silver, maroon anything but arrest me red or ticket me yellow.

But it has the turbine rims, and the black top n wing on it somehow changes my mind on it
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2017, 01:52 AM
corvetteBlack
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Buick350X
Thing just would not work out with the 85, was the guys grandfathers, hes got a C6 and don't want it. But then his grandfather don't want him to sell it, wants his other grandson to be able to drive it. But I can still come test drive it if I want? Just been real odd. To the point I was just gonna show up with money and try and just leave with it but ill take that as a sign to pass...

Myself I would not get ride of my Grandfathers Vette.

Tomorrow im gonna buy a red 86 for the same money.

I kinda didn't want a red one, wanted gold silver, maroon anything but arrest me red or ticket me yellow.

But it has the turbine rims, and the black top n wing on it somehow changes my mind on it
I bought my C4 7 months ago, as other members mentioned you'll have to bring maintenance items up to date, if you're going to do all the work yourself this can cost a few hundred dollars to maybe a grand if there is nothing major, if you're going to use a mechanic then double the cost.

Watch out for the tires, I have 4 spare tires that all gave over 12mm thread depth but they are older than 10 years old so they are unsafe.

I'd get all the fluids changed to start off with and ride it with the windows down and the radio off so you can listen for any unusual sounds. First 6 months ownership will expose all/most of the things that need replacing.

Quick Reply: About to pull the C4 trigger