C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Can I DOWNGRADE my c4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:00 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by AdmiralRazadup
To make a long story short, I like the early c4 bodies more than the new ones (unpopular opinion I know, but whatever). Call me a sissy, but I also definitely want to have airbags. Can I either replace every exterior body part of a late c4 with those of an early one, or can I replace ever part of the interior of an early model with that of a late one? Also keep in mind, to some extent this is also a hypothetical "it's not about if we should, it's about if we can" question.

tl;dr: are the body parts of a late c4 interchangeable with the body parts of an early one?
Hi

I put the 91-96 bumpers on my 85 vette, the only issue is the where the front spoiler bolts on. The arch is different and the 90's front bumper / spoiler meet, You will need the front splash guards from a early c4.
Needless to say you need the front and rear impact absorber and all the light fittings.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:07 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I would think that retro-fitting the dash and airbag system into an older car would be much harder than doing the bumper/fender liner/belt-line molding swap. People put the 91-96 bumpers on early cars all the time,Seems logical that you could do the reverse.

Also keep in mind that there are two versions of the later dash. 90-93 with single air bag and 94-96 with dual air bags.

1990-1993 Dash

1994-1996 Dash

The later dash is, for lack of a better term, "simpler"
Old 01-24-2017, 07:56 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by daverulz
I would think that retro-fitting the dash and airbag system into an older car would be much harder than doing the bumper/fender liner/belt-line molding swap. People put the 91-96 bumpers on early cars all the time,Seems logical that you could do the reverse.
Yup, Dave you are correct.

OP...While anything is possible, some things are not practical. To switch the dash, for starters, you have swap and or engineer:

1) Console connection/adapers
2) Dash pad and mounts
3) door trim and alignment to dash
4) wiring harness and controls (they are different)
5) venting for air flow
6) hvac controls, doors, etc
7) CCM interface and new CCM that reads the SIR
8) the DERM for the airbag system

And much, much more...

Dude, buy a 91 and swap the bumpers for the look you want. Better than than that, buy a 90 and be done.

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 01-24-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Originally Posted by jay23ls
Nothing wrong w/ wanting airbags. Air bag has saved my *** before in a different car but got 2 in my 94 C4 maybe they wont deploy but have a better chance than having 0 air bags. so Im biased but the stats don't lie. Accidents happen too often.
I've had 2 accidents where the airbags deployed and I'm damn glad I have them. My 99 C230 had the airbag deployed when I had a side collision. I upgraded to the 99 E300 because it had the curtain airbags.

Also, I happen to think I'm man enough that I don't have to take a poll and see what the other boys think when I want to wipe my d1ck. You can call me a sissy all day long. Won't hurt me none. If the airbag isn't there when I need it, THAT will hurt me.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:38 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

I put the 91-96 bumpers on my 85 vette, the only issue is the where the front spoiler bolts on. The arch is different and the 90's front bumper / spoiler meet, You will need the front splash guards from a early c4.
Needless to say you need the front and rear impact absorber and all the light fittings.

I also did this to my '89. I assume you are referring to the front inner wheel housings when you say "front splash guards"? And, the braces for the front air dam are specific to early/late models.

Belt moldings are molded INTO the front/rear later bumpers while they are separate parts on the early ones. Underlying "crash" assemblies are unique -- but this is where I bet you'd run into issues going backward. WHERE DO THE TRIGGERS FOR THE AIR BAGS SIT?

Those crash structures are styrofoam so you could do some hybrid "merging" if necessary...or carving?

Front "fenders" are unique to model years and would need to be swapped. (These are the pieces behind the front wheels.)

Door molding are easy though you need to remove inner door panels for access to the retaining bolts.

I would rather change out ALL the front/rear bumpers than to consider an interior swap!!! I've seen a thread on it...and OMG!!!!

I think the idea of buying a '90 isn't bad though you don't get the LT1 engine. If you really, really, really wanted the early outer shell, I'd buy the newest LT1 and do the retro bumper swap. I think your only challenge (that I didn't have to deal with) would be the air bag sensors...and how to be sure they would deploy.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:51 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I've had 2 accidents where the airbags deployed and I'm damn glad I have them. My 99 C230 had the airbag deployed when I had a side collision. I upgraded to the 99 E300 because it had the curtain airbags.

Also, I happen to think I'm man enough that I don't have to take a poll and see what the other boys think when I want to wipe my d1ck. You can call me a sissy all day long. Won't hurt me none. If the airbag isn't there when I need it, THAT will hurt me.
That was very.......umm....Colorful......Thank you?
Old 01-25-2017, 08:39 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbles
That was very.......umm....Colorful......Thank you?
You're welcome.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:16 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by AdmiralRazadup
Isn't there some deal with the zr1's carrying a late rear bumper? Or are those so uncommon that I don't even need to worry about that. Also, only one airbag so a 1990 isn't perfect for me but I legitimately might end up getting one.
The ZR-1 rear bumper wouldn't fit, as the rear of the "Z" is 3" wider than the standard C4s. But, if in your travels you happen to find one, they're rare and worth some buck$ and would sell quickly!

Poser...

Easy to spot the new rear bumper style and the high 3rd brake light = ZR-1. Also, there is a spacer on either side of the license plate. Hard to fool anyone that knows the cues, even from the rear only.

The 90 ZR-1 body was an odd duck: previous style front bumper, but new style rear, and narrow black belt. In 91 the body color belt was new as well as the front bumper.

I can't vouch for accuracy, but here is a link to charts showing C4 changes over the 12-year run.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:36 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Plenty of people have converted the old style to the new style body wise so there is no reason you can't convert the other way.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:09 PM
Buick350X
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JWMorrisey
Nothing screams 1980s like the early C4s.

My license plate is 911VCE. 911 is appropriate as I'm a retired FF/Medic. VCE is short for vice (as in Miami Vice).

Jonathan.....

If I could afford a used 80s Ferrari Testarossa id have one to be the total 80s man.... [ but could never wear shoes without socks ]
Old 01-25-2017, 06:11 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
You're welcome.
​​​​​​​
Old 01-26-2017, 07:49 AM
L98Justin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

if i was ever "forced" into a 91+ Vette I'd swap bumpers as well I love the early bodies but the interior is so much better in the newer cars I'd love to get my mits on a 90 Vert
Old 01-27-2017, 11:26 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Your airbag interests came to mind again while I was reading of the recall of airbags on the C7s. They might not work in a crash due to a software issue. 2014-2017 models are affected.

Yea, I'm not counting on my 21 year old GM airbags at all.

Quick Reply: Can I DOWNGRADE my c4?