Third Brake Light Lens Cloudiness

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:40 AM
Oceanbiz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third Brake Light Lens Cloudiness

Hi All

The third brake light lens on my 94 C4 is all foggy. I cannot find a replacement in any of the after market companies. So, I assume that it is not available. Does anyone know how to make the lens shiny instead of foggy ? Maybe a chemical that will penetrate the plastic surface and dry clear ? I did hear from a friend that some body shops paint the light lenses with clear spray paint. Not sure how well that works. Looking forward to some replies.
Thanls
Dan
Old 01-24-2017, 11:25 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There are plastic polishing materials that can be used. Meguiar's has some stuff that works well Griot's Garage also has some really good plastic polish. Toothpaste can work too but will take time.

I would remove the 3rd brake light assembly from the car to do the polishing. You could use a foam buffer mounted on an electric drill to speed up the process.

I don't think painting the lens with clear paint would be a workable solution. If the surface isn't prepped properly, the clear could eventually start to peel off.

Have you looked for an LED conversion? Found this as a bolt-in swap. Pricey but the output from LED's are much better.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Here's What I Did...

Rather than replace the lens or remove it to clean it, put wide blue painters tape around the stop light lens so you don't do anything to mar the paint. Use one of the "dull headlight cleaner" products found at any car parts store. After you get it shiny go to any online store (ebay) that sells strips of Expel or 3M clear vinyl wrap. Cut a piece of vinyl to fit the stop light. Consider doing the same for your driving/turnsignal lights lens. Worked for me so far for about 3+ years. Protects and gives it a new lens look. If you want the bulb to be brighter consider replacing the incandescent bulb with halogen or LED

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 01-24-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:24 PM
91 black convert
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Led...

I replaced mine with an LED unit, (not the one above, however), and it was the easiest remove and replace I have ever done on a vehicle. I believe one of the forum vendors sells them for less than the one referred to, above.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:58 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

here's my thread on polishing plastic lens I did a couple years ago -

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...up-lights.html

Get notified of new replies

To Third Brake Light Lens Cloudiness

Quick Reply: Third Brake Light Lens Cloudiness