C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bubbling paint question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 02:48 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Bubbling paint question

I know, paint threads are all over the place but hopefully this has not been covered. Mine is a 95, Competition Yellow and its a repaint. Its a pretty good job. It looks exactly like a factory job. The only reason I know its a repaint is there is a bit of overspray in some areas. There is a little bubbling just over the rear wheel arch about midway between the edge and the hatch. Its about 4 inches long and a quarter inch wide. There are no other areas. You can hardly see that it is lifted but its flexible under finger pressure. The finish is flat when it is cool and dry and seems to raise a bit in the sun. Its almost unnoticible. I suspect a bit of adhesion loss, probably due to poor prep. The car is garaged and seldom left in the sun. I'm inclined to leave well enough alone as its not going anywhere and it really doesn't bother me but I'm wondering, can it be repaired without a total repaint?
Old 01-24-2017, 06:17 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Repaint?

A good body shop shouldn't have a problem but who knows what else they might find when they start stripping the area. If you can live with it, do so. When you can't take it anymore than have it looked at.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:14 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by 73n95
I know, paint threads are all over the place but hopefully this has not been covered. Mine is a 95, Competition Yellow and its a repaint. Its a pretty good job. It looks exactly like a factory job. The only reason I know its a repaint is there is a bit of overspray in some areas. There is a little bubbling just over the rear wheel arch about midway between the edge and the hatch. Its about 4 inches long and a quarter inch wide. There are no other areas. You can hardly see that it is lifted but its flexible under finger pressure. The finish is flat when it is cool and dry and seems to raise a bit in the sun. Its almost unnoticible. I suspect a bit of adhesion loss, probably due to poor prep. The car is garaged and seldom left in the sun. I'm inclined to leave well enough alone as its not going anywhere and it really doesn't bother me but I'm wondering, can it be repaired without a total repaint?
I'd try to find out who painted it and ask them
Old 01-24-2017, 07:44 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Its almost unnoticible.....I'm inclined to leave well enough alone as its not going anywhere and it really doesn't bother me but I'm wondering, can it be repaired without a total repaint?
If it does not bother you, then leave it alone. If you take it to a painter and have it redone you have that possibility it won't be repaired to your liking and then you'd be really annoyed.

I understand the "It's not bugging me.... but...." syndrome.

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 01-24-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Sounds like a definite adhesion problem and the clear is holding it on and together.

I am betting it wouldn't cost too much to fix. A good blending job and you won't even notice it. Not a ton of prep work so it should be fairly quick.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

How much is the paint lifting? Depth wise?
Old 01-25-2017, 03:21 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

The lifting is so mild that it looks like a small ripple. Its not a large bubble, but a couple of small ones, 1/4 inch by 1/2 inch or so. Only when I push it with a fingernail can you tell its actually loose. There are no cracks. I thought of taking a fine needle and injecting some sort of adhesive and pressing it down but having never done it it could lead to more damage. I'm thinking its best left alone until it gets worse or cracks. It does not seem to be spreading. I'd post a picture but I'm not sure how to.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:11 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The lifting is so mild that it looks like a small ripple. Its not a large bubble, but a couple of small ones, 1/4 inch by 1/2 inch or so. Only when I push it with a fingernail can you tell its actually loose. There are no cracks. I thought of taking a fine needle and injecting some sort of adhesive and pressing it down but having never done it it could lead to more damage. I'm thinking its best left alone until it gets worse or cracks. It does not seem to be spreading. I'd post a picture but I'm not sure how to.

That's exactly where I was heading, if it was lifting pretty bad you can "pop" it and glue it down then put a tiny tiny drop of paint over the little hole and it will last years. Since you can hardly see it I would leave it alone.

Get notified of new replies

To Bubbling paint question

Quick Reply: Bubbling paint question