C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Yet another antenna question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 02:38 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Yet another antenna question

The antenna mast on my coupe is "fixed". That is, it won't go up or down. I removed the assembly (piece of cake) and sure enough the ribbon is broken. What pulled out was about 18 inches long so I assume there is still a piece in there. Now the questions; how do I get the remaining chunk out, or do I just not worry about it. The motor works. If I elect to use it as a manual antenna can I simply snip the ribbon, not plug in the 3 wire cable and raise and lower it?
Old 02-20-2017, 04:19 PM
RIPS
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a pretty simple job to remove the antenna motor and disassemble it to remove the remaining piece of ribbon. Older ones are screwed together but my '96 was plastic welded together. I simply drilled out the welds, took it apart to remove the piece, then used some silicone and nuts/bolts to put it back together. You do need to be very careful when drilling to not punch through into the electronics of the motor though. Use very light pressure and go just deep enough to eliminate the integrity of the plastic weld. I don't know what year your car is, but assuming it's a 95, I'm guessing your motor is like mine.
You can order a new mast/ribbon very inexpensively. They come with with instructions on how to re-thread them into the motor although unless you paid attention to the orientation of the ribbon notches when you removed it, you may have to research which way it threads in. It's been a few years since I did it, but I think they pointed in towards the car.
You access the motor from under the car, but it helps to remove the inner wheel liner to reach everything. You also need to remove some deck trim to get to the plug connections.
You may even want to stick your phone up in there and take a picture of the motor before you remove it. It's pretty dark up in there and you kind of have to do things by feel, so if you know what it looks like, it's easier to feel for it.
I recommend doing it versus having a fixed antenna.

Quick Reply: Yet another antenna question