C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Tirekicking-buyers vs sellers

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:42 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
You will then be able to tell just by driving the car what a well maintained and sorted out one feels like.

They won't get pissed if you say after the test drive sorry this isn't the one for me.
Maybe you can GUESS but I know a scanner and a compression tester will KNOW. If we are about to close on the deal, it will be conditional on a PDI either done by me in front of you or at a GM facility that I will hire.

WGAS? If you are selling the car and don't expect walkers, you are on drugs. Besides, I'd rather **** you off than get pissed at myself for buying a lemon.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:42 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis1979
I would be ok driving normal to feel the steering and then having the owner drive and demonstrate the 0-70 test.
The only time you would accelerate from 0-70 full throttle is on a drag strip. On the street, freeway ramp, etc, it would be considered reckless. If you expect to do that, buy the car, put the title in YOUR name and have at it. A short burst to check transmission kick down is ok as long as you don't exceed the speed limit and conditions allow for it... fine. Keep in mind that I'm in the car with you, I don't know anything about you, and I want to see my grandchildren again.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:47 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RIC96
This is why so many vette owners are **** about test drives. Would you beat on a Taurus or Malibu enough to blow a head gasket on a test drive? I'm selling a driver, not a race car. You want to flog it... buy it first.
If the car is so held together by bubble gum and band aids that it will break on 1 WOT run, keep it.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:48 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Seller cant complain about that
Had someone test drive my Silverado awhile back thought I was a good judge of character. Thought things were pretty clear about "test driving"

First thing he did is floor it everywhere jumped a curb and kept going
"Just wanted to see how fast an LSx was I like the truck but really dont want to buy anything". Heavy azz vehicle with 180k He lived.

Little over a mo ago. It has had a bad knock for a few weeks, oil full of bearing material its on me I let him drive it. Just sayin
Jumped a curb? I'd have reached over, grabbed the key and let him walk back to his car!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:51 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I don't think my buddy did anything wrong testdriving the Stang. It was an automatic so it's not like he overreved it or missed a gear, I believe there was something wrong with that car and they were hiding it.
It was probably on the way out. As I said, if it cannot stand 1 WOT run, it's probably junk anyways.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:51 AM
RIC96
Drifting

Originally Posted by aklim
If the car is so held together by bubble gum and band aids that it will break on 1 WOT run, keep it.
If you expect to WOT my 20 year car, don't come!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:57 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Once I get super lowballed once I will not deal with them again.
Why? It's business not personal. I will highball, you will lowball. It's a fact of life. If we can do the deal, we do. If not, see you next time. No offense taken.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:57 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I would be ok driving normal to feel the steering and then having the owner drive and demonstrate the 0-70 test.
A fair compromise.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:59 AM
aklim
Team Owner

If you expect to WOT my 20 year car, don't come!
And if you expect me to hand over more than $500 for a sports car that can't be driven without breaking on a WOT, you need to put down the pipe.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:04 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I agree, if you ACTUALLY want to buy a car, post a WTB. I think expecting to get a car for 75% or less of its actual value isn't going to happen. There are enough people out there buying cars that anything slightly below market value gets bought quickly, far before it gets to "giving it away" levels.

So from my perspective, if I'm selling a car for 10k, and you think it's worth 8k, I want to know that going in. If you have a valid reason why, I might listen. If you think it's worth 6k, I'm just going to ignore you. If I show up somewhere to sell said car, and you haven't let me know ahead of time that we are more than 500 or so off in price, my price is asking price and that's about it. The minute someone does that and tries to haggle it down, more, I'm out.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:11 AM
RIC96
Drifting

And if you expect me to hand over more than $500 for a sports car that can't be driven without breaking on a WOT, you need to put down the pipe.
Then you and I will never do business! MY name is on the title. I am responsible for any incident that occurs when someone is driving my car. MY insurance company and I will be sued for YOUR negligence or incompetence. If you can't understand that, you're too stupid to own a corvette!
Old 03-03-2017, 11:37 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Then you and I will never do business!

MY name is on the title. I am responsible for any incident that occurs when someone is driving my car. MY insurance company and I will be sued for YOUR negligence or incompetence. If you can't understand that, you're too stupid to own a corvette!
I'm good with that. There are plenty of other sellers that are willing to do a WOT run with logging. As mentioned, I'd be willing to allow you to do a WOT run with me in the car. If you are not even confident it will hold for that, I'm definitely better off without that ticking time bomb you are selling. If you want to sell me a sports car and a WOT cannot be demonstrated and you think I am going to hand over thousands of dollars, you must think my middle name is "GULLIBLE". I suppose next you'll sell me a 1 ton truck that you won't allow me to see if it will tow?

To a point, yes. I just confirmed it with my insurance, Allstate. In some way, I am liable. Here is how it was explained to me. Allstate (my policy) is liable AS A SECONDARY. IF we confirm with YOUR company, whatever it is that your policy is current and I give you permission, YOUR policy, whatever company is liable for an accident. MY policy kicks in if the damage exceeds your coverage. Does your information differ?

Last edited by aklim; 03-03-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:08 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Why? It's business not personal. I will highball, you will lowball. It's a fact of life. If we can do the deal, we do. If not, see you next time. No offense taken.
Guess lowballing is how its interpreted
Offering 8-9k on a 10k asking wouldnt bother me:even 7 to see where Im really at no problem. They have to cant blame em.
Someone offering 3k "cash money now bro" , nah
Old 03-03-2017, 12:31 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage

I have scored so many great deals showing up with cash and my trailer. "I can have that car out of here in 15 minutes" works wonders, especially if the sellers wife/girlfriend/parents are there.
I am crossed on this, cause pulling up with the trailer shows you mean business, but also they know you brought it with the intention of leaving with a car on it. I wonder if this puts you a disadvantage especially if they know you drove a long way. I agree 100% about making sure the wife sees the wad of cash, that can make a lotta difference on whether the deal goes down though many may ask for your man card for using the tactic.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:34 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

The only problem I see is the guy who has the car you are looking won't be selling under market value.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:42 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Originally Posted by MRPVette
The only problem I see is the guy who has the car you are looking won't be selling under market value.
True this hunt is probably gonna stretch into the fall. I have never had much luck scoring a steal this time of year cause folk have the fat wallet from their tax returns. November and December are my absolute best months all the way into February but by march things are a lot tougher to score a deal on whatever it is I am after.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:56 PM
RIC96
Drifting

I'm good with that. There are plenty of other sellers that are willing to do a WOT run with logging. As mentioned, I'd be willing to allow you to do a WOT run with me in the car. If you are not even confident it will hold for that, I'm definitely better off without that ticking time bomb you are selling. If you want to sell me a sports car and a WOT cannot be demonstrated and you think I am going to hand over thousands of dollars, you must think my middle name is "GULLIBLE". I suppose next you'll sell me a 1 ton truck that you won't allow me to see if it will tow?

To a point, yes. I just confirmed it with my insurance, Allstate. In some way, I am liable. Here is how it was explained to me. Allstate (my policy) is liable AS A SECONDARY. IF we confirm with YOUR company, whatever it is that your policy is current and I give you permission, YOUR policy, whatever company is liable for an accident. MY policy kicks in if the damage exceeds your coverage. Does your information differ?
You're a car guy, do most of your own wrenching and are very helpful to the members here and I can understand you wanting to feel that the car you're buying is perfect. I've never really worked on cars but I do know that a machine that works well under normal conditions can fail under extreme circumstances. I would be selling a safe used car that has had regular maintenance and I can provide the service records to prove it. I might press the pedal to the floor briefly on an on ramp but I quickly back off because it makes me uncomfortable, for many reasons.

I'm not selling a race car, I'm selling a daily driver that happens to be a corvette. I'm not trying to hide anything but I'm also not trying to prove anything to you. If you fancy yourself a good mechanic you will be able to make a determination on the condition of a car using your eyes, ears, nose and on a civilized test drive. You will not beat on or break my car and then tell me you'll think about it. And my price is my price.

As far as liability is concerned, I don't care whose insurance company covers what. I know that as the owner I'm going to be involved no matter what and that will follow me for years. I can't do anything if a little old lady runs a stop sign or a moose runs up the hood. I can do everything within my power to avoid trouble and setting limits on a test drive is what I do. WOT on public roads are considered exhibition of speed at best and reckless driving or worse if an accident happens. I choose to avoid that if a car is titled to me.

I will make sure you understand these things before you make the trip to see my Vette. If my rules make you nervous, then don't come. No one can guarantee that a machine won't break under stress but that doesn't mean I'll let you break my car and leave me to pick up the pieces. I'll let you go through the service history and pull a carfax for you. I would hope that my meticulous record keeping and the respect I show for the car to speak for my character and honesty. If not, wish me well and be on your way!

Last edited by RIC96; 03-03-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tirekicking-buyers vs sellers

Old 03-03-2017, 01:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Guess lowballing is how its interpreted
Offering 8-9k on a 10k asking wouldnt bother me:even 7 to see where Im really at no problem. They have to cant blame em.
Someone offering 3k "cash money now bro" , nah
Like VikingTrad3r said, once in a while you may get someone desperate enough to bite. Doesn't hurt to ask. I'll tell you "I'm negotiable but we're too far apart." or as I told a seller, "This is what I am willing to pay. Call me if you want to sell at that price.". Sometimes it works, other times no. Either way, I don't take offense since I would do the same. I make it known to you that you can do non destructive testing but once sold, I insist on an "as is" policy. No exceptions.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:53 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

You're a car guy, do most of your own wrenching and are very helpful to the members here and I can understand you wanting to feel that the car you're buying is perfect. I've never really worked on cars but I do know that a machine that works well under normal conditions can fail under extreme circumstances. I would be selling a safe used car that has had regular maintenance and I can provide the service records to prove it. I might press the pedal to the floor briefly on an on ramp but I quickly back off because it makes me uncomfortable, for many reasons.

I'm not selling a race car, I'm selling a daily driver that happens to be a corvette. I'm not trying to hide anything but I'm also not trying to prove anything to you. If you fancy yourself a good mechanic you will be able to make a determination on the condition of a car using your eyes, ears, nose and on a civilized test drive. You will not beat on or break my car and then tell me you'll think about it. And my price is my price.

As far as liability is concerned, I don't care whose insurance company covers what. I know that as the owner I'm going to be involved no matter what and that will follow me for years. I can't do anything if a little old lady runs a stop sign or a moose runs up the hood. I can do everything within my power to avoid trouble and setting limits on a test drive is what I do. WOT on public roads are considered exhibition of speed at best and reckless driving or worse if an accident happens. I choose to avoid that if a car is titled to me.

I will make sure you understand these things before you make the trip to see my Vette. If my rules make you nervous, then don't come. No one can guarantee that a machine won't break under stress but that doesn't mean I'll let you break my car and leave me to pick up the pieces. I'll let you go through the service history and pull a carfax for you. I would hope that my meticulous record keeping and the respect I show for the car to speak for my character and honesty. If not, wish me well and be on your way!
Good heads up! I will make sure I clarify my needs and wants in a test drive upfront before I take the ride to see a car cause I definitely won't be buying one that can't have the pedal put to the floor without the motor blowing.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:07 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Good heads up! I will make sure I clarify my needs and wants in a test drive upfront before I take the ride to see a car cause I definitely won't be buying one that can't have the pedal put to the floor without the motor blowing.
No one said the motor would blow. I said that you're not gonna blow it, or kill me until you buy it. Who knows what kind of mental midget or total incompetent reads craigslist? You want to let some yahoo who appears normal, show up at your door and take you for a wild ride.. knock yourself out. Hopefully not literally!

Quick Reply: Tirekicking-buyers vs sellers