C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Finally Bought a Vette...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 12:52 PM
vette-rageous
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette_realtor
I really appreciate the replies. I had to get a little firm with the dealership that they were taking a long time to figure out a problem. They want to test fuel pressure when the car idles, because otherwise the readouts on it are fine. So perhaps not a fuel issue after all.

They took the car to a Chevy dealership this afternoon since they do not apparently know enough about this car. The dealer that was working on it did not seem receptive to me giving tips, info, input, anything. They said they never heard of using a paperclip to test the codes.

I will keep the ICM idea in mind. If they replaced the spark plugs, wiring, and distributor cap, do you think the ICM could still be affected and causing the trouble? The car does only fail after it has been "hot" for long enough.
Weck86 probably knows better, but I do believe a change in cap/rotor would NOT correct a ICM problem...if in fact that is actually the problem. A weak/worn ICM would be susceptible to heat and should be replaced...again, if that is in fact the problem.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:59 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Two weeks to a month to figure out the issue? Geez that's a long time. I'd be in direct contact with the Chevy dealership for this point on.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:06 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Should not take over a few hours to fix!!! If your going to keep the car get it home and away from these hacks. See if you can get in contact with a member from here close to you, most of these guys would be happy to help you out. I would if you were near me.

Could be as simple as the Idle air control or Throttle position switch.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 04-20-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:19 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

re: it should only take a few hours

That's why I'm starting to get suspicious/lose my patience. I also feel like none of the major components of the car are failing, so it must be a process of elimination. My Haynes book only lists 6-7 reasons why the car would stall. I'm sure there are a few more possibilities, as y'all have pointed out, but I don't think it should be such a massive "trial and error" process that takes this many days to resolve.....

It doesn't help that they didn't have an OBD1 code reader and don't know about the paperclip trick to see why the "service engine soon" light came on after stalls.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:41 PM
vette-rageous
Advanced

re: it should only take a few hours

That's why I'm starting to get suspicious/lose my patience. I also feel like none of the major components of the car are failing, so it must be a process of elimination. My Haynes book only lists 6-7 reasons why the car would stall. I'm sure there are a few more possibilities, as y'all have pointed out, but I don't think it should be such a massive "trial and error" process that takes this many days to resolve.....

It doesn't help that they didn't have an OBD1 code reader and don't know about the paperclip trick to see why the "service engine soon" light came on after stalls.

Ripped this from CorvetteBen from YouTube, its a really good explaination of how to read codes on your 86 using "paperclip":

Here is a guide on how to read the codes:
http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

I can feel your frustration Bro.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:41 PM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

There are smarter folks than I on here, but just replacing the plugs, wires and cap, while a very good idea, will do nothing for an ICM issue.

OP, one thing to keep in mind, that even at a Chevy dealer their techs are probably 25-35 years old, not much older than the car. Older techs tend to migrate to independent shops as they can make more money. So OBD1 vehicles are ancient history to them (try asking about drum brakes, lol). They have been trained on OBD11 diagnostics which give much better indications.

Here is a brief utube video on reading OBD1 with a paper clip:

My memory tells me the OBD connector on your Vette is to the right of the steering column, down low on the knee bolster panel. This allows you to easily see the check engine light flash in the DIC panel.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:44 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

@1800Wing I'm not a mechanic and I don't play one on TV. You are correct, I barely know how to correctly check an oil dipstick. I have a lot to learn.

@vette-rageous @Photoguy000 love the pics of both of yours! Looking clean and classy.
No worries, there are enough folks here that we can get you through whatever you run into along the way....and we won't laugh and point at ya, well maybe a little.

later, tiny
Old 04-20-2017, 08:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Jeez tell them to ck the basics, like checking fuel pressure and codes its not rocket science and takes 5 minutes.
Fuel spark air. Or just take the car back and sell it when it can be driven down the street.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:45 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Yep, I hear ya, I don't think it could possibly be this complicated. They have now had the car Tuesday pm, Wednesday (all day), Thursday (all day) and I imagine at least half the day tomorrow... if not the full day...

At least it's in more capable hands at the Chevy dealer (I really hope so). I am supposed to get an update in the morning. I don't know if the Chevy dealer could fit in seeing my car today or not.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:51 PM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

What a shame. It sounds like they just wanted to get rid of the car and damn the consequences.

Last edited by JungleCat; 04-20-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Yeah, I don't really know how to feel right now. It was supposed to be one of the best days of my life, finally buying a Vette, and it turned out to be such a disappointment. I have had the car in my possession for 6 out of the 48+ hours I've owned it.

On the other hand, I know once it works right it'll be a good car.

Newest idea from mechanic about the cause is EGR problems. I don't even know what that is, but google results say symptoms are:

- Rough idling. (happened after stalls)
- Really bad gas mileage. (car said avg mpg was only 7)
- Lack of power during acceleration. (once at speed/over 55mph)
- Loss of power during idling. (5 times)
- Check engine light is on with a trouble code. (SES came on after stalls but went away when restarted)

Last edited by corvette_realtor; 04-20-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I live over near the dragstrip and I HAVE an 1986 factory repair manual as I have a 1986 vette. (Avon) . I also have a OBD 1 reader somewhere around here.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 04-20-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:24 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

@ghoastrider good to know, I am all about making friends with fellow Indy Vette owners. Especially a fellow '86 owner!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM
vette-rageous
Advanced

@ghoastrider good to know, I am all about making friends with fellow Indy Vette owners. Especially a fellow '86 owner!
Road trip to Montana Bro

Also, keep us posted on the progress today, you have a lot of fellow travelers that are hoping for the best!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:59 AM
jehuds10
Race Director

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Congrats, good luck solving the stalling issue, hope it's nothing serious.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:04 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

On the other hand, I know once it works right it'll be a good car.

could be icm...coils act stupid when they go bad/hot could have a few isues, intake leaks, cts injectors etc. My 89 was like that took me a yr and throwing many parts to get it sorted. However....was worth it super reiliable took me everywhere lotsa fun

Last edited by cv67; 04-21-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:13 AM
exitwound
Instructor

The two problems that caused me to stall was:

1. IAC valve in the throttle body
2. The HEI chip in the distributor which is ok when cold, but fails when hot.

Both are simple fixes..

Get notified of new replies

To Finally Bought a Vette...

Old 04-21-2017, 11:36 AM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Unfortunately both dealers want to replicate the stall problem to properly diagnose the issue. They are having trouble replicating stalls and I think the reason why is that they aren't driving the car on the interstate. I did not have stalling trouble until I pushed the car to get onto the interstate ramp, that's when the trouble started.

Should I be calling the mechanic and giving them ideas about what it could be or trust that the Chevy dealer knows what they're doing with it? I feel like I won't even get the car back by this weekend.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:39 AM
vette-rageous
Advanced

Unfortunately both dealers want to replicate the stall problem to properly diagnose the issue. They are having trouble replicating stalls and I think the reason why is that they aren't driving the car on the interstate. I did not have stalling trouble until I pushed the car to get onto the interstate ramp, that's when the trouble started.

Should I be calling the mechanic and giving them ideas about what it could be or trust that the Chevy dealer knows what they're doing with it? I feel like I won't even get the car back by this weekend.
It's your car, they work for you!

I'd call them and offer suggestions, and politely voice my concerns as well. Who cares if they're tired of hearing from you...like I said...it's your car and you want it diagnosed and fixed asap.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:10 PM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Possibly a stupid suggestion, but here it goes anyway. Have the Chevy boys put a new AC Delco ICM in and take the car home. It will either fix the problem or the problem will reappear. If the problem comes back, call the flat bed and have the car taken to the dealer. Now the dealer can start work with problem in front of them.

Quick Reply: Finally Bought a Vette...