C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Fix ideas needed for sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:21 PM
Torx40
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix ideas needed for sound system

Now that I have done most of the mechanicals I am thinking it would be nice to get the Bose sound system working a little better. I don't expect miracles here... Here's what I know:
Currently I have sound coming from the back... Possible from both speakers..and nothing from the front.
The radio and cassette works...CD is shot I think... I haven't checked to see if a CD is wedged in there, but there are chunks and gouges around the opening from PO's trying to get them out.

What's easiest cheapest way to get sound from 4 speakers?

Thx
Old 07-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Faced with a similar problem as you have, I felt it was more cost effective to replace it all. I went to Crutchfield and bought a single din Pioneer along with all four speakers. I got the necessary adapters from Crutchfield; ran all new speaker wire; and installed it all. Better sound,, a good CD player, a remote along with USB and auxiliary inputs put it years ahead of the Bose that was in there.

I think I spent around $300 (but not more than $350) for all of it.

Here's a link for a Pioneer with Bluetooth hands free speakerphone along with all of the above that I just installed in my F150. Seems very good so far.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X88...BHS.html?avf=Y

Old 07-18-2017, 01:52 PM
mark970
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Torx40
Now that I have done most of the mechanicals I am thinking it would be nice to get the Bose sound system working a little better. I don't expect miracles here... Here's what I know:
Currently I have sound coming from the back... Possible from both speakers..and nothing from the front.
The radio and cassette works...CD is shot I think... I haven't checked to see if a CD is wedged in there, but there are chunks and gouges around the opening from PO's trying to get them out.

What's easiest cheapest way to get sound from 4 speakers?

Thx

For NON-Bose systems i would swap to modern aftermarket systems but for Bose systems i would...

have the Bose Cd rebuilt...around $150 to update the internal CD mechanism and DIY on the speaker AMP repair

Last edited by mark970; 07-18-2017 at 01:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JimLentz (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 02:22 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by mark970
For NON-Bose systems i would swap to modern aftermarket systems but for Bose systems i would...

have the Bose Cd rebuilt...around $150 to update the internal CD mechanism and DIY on the speaker AMP repair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYgdH_ycmQQ&t=8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5CiPEDuxJU&t=8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH6SA0KnlzQ&t=26s
I went a slightly different route when I realized my CD player and the CDM module was bad. I decided to fix my broken Bose amplifiers, remove CDM and Bose head unit and put in a double DIN Pioneer touch screen. It has bluetooth for my cell phone and audio. I added a backup camera, which was a pain to get wired. I also added a power antenna bypass switch, hidden USB port and external input. I also added the hatch release wire to the aftermarket remote keyless entry since I had a lot apart. If I had a rare C4 I might have stayed factory, but my '92 is just a very nice coupe and I love the upgrade. It's nice to have options and I kept re-evaluating as I determined what was broken and what it would take to fix.
The following users liked this post:
Torx40 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 02:38 PM
c7mike
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default radio

I took my car to the radio shop that works on bose radios

they fixed the radio box under the glove box
it work great now

that maybe your problem they seem to go out
your cd in your radio they can fix it
Old 07-18-2017, 09:55 PM
Torx40
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys... I'm ok with the current Bose unit but would just like to get sound out of four speakers. I can have the cd fixed later if needed but for now I am enjoying the old school nature of playing cassettes.
Im mainly getting sound only out of the rear, and when I adjust the fader toward the front the sounds drops to almost nothing but still has a muffled sound from rear speakers. Nothing from e front. Is there a simple fuse situation I can looked for at the main amp or is it most likely bad amp situation at the speakers themselves?
I've never seen a car audio system with an amp at each speaker like this.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:00 PM
mark970
Drifting

Originally Posted by Torx40
Thanks guys... I'm ok with the current Bose unit but would just like to get sound out of four speakers. I can have the cd fixed later if needed but for now I am enjoying the old school nature of playing cassettes.
Im mainly getting sound only out of the rear, and when I adjust the fader toward the front the sounds drops to almost nothing but still has a muffled sound from rear speakers. Nothing from e front. Is there a simple fuse situation I can looked for at the main amp or is it most likely bad amp situation at the speakers themselves?
I've never seen a car audio system with an amp at each speaker like this.
my money is on your front amps. In my 95 coupe they were totally shot from dirt. I replaced the amps and they worked after that
Old 07-18-2017, 10:23 PM
mark970
Drifting

you could just swap with your rear amps for a minute to test the control unit. If your rear amps work when you plug them into the front 6 pin connector then it's your front amps

Last edited by mark970; 07-18-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fix ideas needed for sound system

Quick Reply: Fix ideas needed for sound system