Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

My first Corvette - should these issues worry me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:52 AM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Also those wheel flares are worth some $$. Oem rear flares are worth 3-400 here in the states. Ive never seen the front flares before so no idea what those could bring. The flares were only standard on US model 1996 Grand Sport Coupes which had 11" rear tires.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
Given your location im guessing that C4s arent abundant so if thats what you want and the dealer is willing to address the issues then id keep it. However if there are enough C4s to actually be picky then id consider passing on that particular car.My main concern would be the leak and the uncertainty of how long it has been like that. As far as the creaking noise is concerned if the roof is properly secured the car shouldnt make noises like you are describing.

Good luck
Excellent point. I don't know how, but those bolts come loose. Cinch 'em down and don't become a member of the FRC.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2017, 02:49 PM
mantanz
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haxxx
Honestly if the paint and interior are in good shape you are probably OK. Being mechanically sound is a plus. If they are willing to fix the problems then I would let them.

Check gauges light sometimes flickers.
- This is the only one that really concerns me
Driver side window makes an incredibly loud bang and shakes violently when you first open it.
- Door hinges need to be rebuilt. Window out of alignment. Something could be broken in the door.
Roof leaks despite dealer saying weather strips all replaced.
- Are you sure it's the roof?
Car rattles and creaks a lot, especially from the roof, but I gather this is normal for a C4?
- It's old. There's a lot of degraded rubber suspension parts. Roof adds structural rigidity.
A LOT of wind noise, like windows are always slightly open but they're not.
- Door is probably out of alignment because of the door hinge issue. This causes the window be out of alignment and could also be the source of your leak.
Speedo reads 10km/h too low.
- Tires are the wrong size.
Hmmm... interesting you say that about the door hinge. It does creak a bit too. Could be leaking from the windows, yeah.

There are a few C4s for sale right now but not in Auckland and I'm not prepared to risk buying from out of town. Out of the 4 I've driven only 2 were any good, including this one. By the way, it's a Japanese import. Odd but quite a lot of American cars in NZ come from there.

Anyway, will get mechanic to look over it before the deeper sees it in case he spots any other majors.

Last edited by mantanz; 08-21-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:55 PM
mantanz
Cruising

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
Also those wheel flares are worth some $$. Oem rear flares are worth 3-400 here in the states. Ive never seen the front flares before so no idea what those could bring. The flares were only standard on US model 1996 Grand Sport Coupes which had 11" rear tires.
Good to know. They might fund the patch up job required to remove them. Haha.
The car actually came in from Japan with wheel spacers so it filled the guards. Those spacers are not legal here so had to be removed for compliance.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:14 AM
mantanz
Cruising

Okay so I put the car up on a hoist and it wasn't just a hole. There was a big crack running the length of the driver side footwell and it had lost all structural integrity. Also closer inspection of the windows revealed that the driver side didn't seal properly. Somehow out of alignment.

I was offered fixes or a full refund by the big boss. Took the latter.

Surprisingly the car was put straight back on sale despite the dealer saying how shocked he was that it got through compliance. Tempted to dob them in...

No more Corvette Oh well. I'll save my cash and get my dream car - C4 ZR1
Old 08-28-2017, 08:07 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by mantanz
No more Corvette Oh well. I'll save my cash and get my dream car - C4 ZR1
Sounds like you took the right option...as the saying goes, patience is a virtue, best to wait and get the car you want. Just might be a long wait in New Zealand.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:46 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

too many good ones out there to settle for a hammered out one
the loose window, creaky hinges/top usual old C4 stuff there are "tight" ones out there. Tons of Zs in great shape out there for reasonable $
Dont see those going up in price any time soon so be choosy
Old 08-28-2017, 10:57 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Well, you bought a used c4. Most will have these issues you experienced. most used cars will in fact have these issues if they are 20+ years old.

If or when you buy a Zr1 get ready for the fixes to be more costly if you can't do it yourself. it is the same car, with a few differences, but the biggest being the motor and getting a regular shop to work on that will be fun. Either way, windshield, body panels, and motor are a big deal.

Another thing is the C4 was a new platform to begin with, now places charge a lot to work on the rear ends and if you ask they might say they have no clue about those but will try it, or simply say NO we don't know how to work on those.

A zr1 can be had for 10-15k. Some people think they are worth 40k. if you want a garage queen buy a $20,000 zr1 and wax it. if you want a fun driver buy a $15,000 one.

Used C4's usually rattle, windows go slowly dash lights flicker, head gaskets go out, suspension wears out, and many more. Also the jack mistake or road rash on the bottom is not uncommon.

'95-'96 fixed most problems, C5 solved them all, but have electrical issues sometimes.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:42 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Z

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll press for the refund. I don't trust the dealer to fix it properly.
That would be your best bet.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:29 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Smart move, buying a car like that here isn't that big of a deal, buying a car like that where the rest of them aren't and part's need to be shipped.....now that's just a pain!
Old 08-29-2017, 12:10 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by warrior4jesus
REFUND REFUND REFUND REFUND And did I mention REFUNDDDDDDDDDDD Also those fender flares are hideous.
If anyone of us had made a comment like that about your car, when you were a noob.
How would you have felt?

Old 08-29-2017, 12:14 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Oh well. I'll save my cash and get my dream car - C4 ZR1
Before you make that decision.
Price out a starter replacement. Parts and labor.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:29 AM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
If anyone of us had made a comment like that about your car, when you were a noob.
How would you have felt?

Are you referring to the refund or the fender flare comment? Because unless I ready the thread wrong OP did get a refund, and he himself thought the flares were ugly as well. So Whats is the prob aside from you trying to start something with me?
Old 08-29-2017, 04:50 AM
mantanz
Cruising

Originally Posted by bac22
Sounds like you took the right option...as the saying goes, patience is a virtue, best to wait and get the car you want. Just might be a long wait in New Zealand.
Surprisingly there are a lot of Vettes here (even more Mustangs to the point they are now called belly button cars). C5s are much easier to find but at any given time there are 5 or 6 C4s for sale in my city... whether they are good ones or not is another story but new ones pop up every week. Also I think I'll get one in from the States so I can get exactly what I want. I write full time for two car magazines focussed on American V8 rides so I have met a few folk who can help there. I just jumped the gun on this one. Stupid emotions!
Old 08-29-2017, 07:22 AM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Surprisingly there are a lot of Vettes here (even more Mustangs to the point they are now called belly button cars). C5s are much easier to find but at any given time there are 5 or 6 C4s for sale in my city... whether they are good ones or not is another story but new ones pop up every week. Also I think I'll get one in from the States so I can get exactly what I want. I write full time for two car magazines focussed on American V8 rides so I have met a few folk who can help there. I just jumped the gun on this one. Stupid emotions!
Be glad you had the option to return it. I jumped the gun on a 84 Vette and regret it still to this day. You were lucky and I'm sure you won't make that mistake again as neither will I. You should definitely buy the car you want exactly because it will save you so many headaches in the future.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:48 AM
Fireeagle
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Mantanz, you made the right choice. An option you may have to get your dream car is to buy directly from a US dealer. You could subcontract out a mechanic to give it a thorough inspection (tell him to use a bright torch )and get it shipped. A little costly but you only have one life... enjoy it.
I have an 86 coupe that had a few of the issues you describe like the roof noise. The growl of the exhaust note drowns that out. Older cars will take some upkeep so any C4 will be older and will need something. I still drive mine. It has nice lines and for what it is, nice power. Nothing compared to my C7, but still fun.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:08 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
How would you have felt?

He would not care. It is the next guy that either likes them or does not. He is only a C4 flipper not a C4 guy.

I'll pardon your ignorance this time Jr.

Get notified of new replies

To My first Corvette - should these issues worry me?

Old 08-30-2017, 01:32 PM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Originally Posted by pologreen1
He would not care. It is the next guy that either likes them or does not. He is only a C4 flipper not a C4 guy.

I'll pardon your ignorance this time Jr.
So this is what it has come to. the select few that think you know it all want to bash me at every comment or post I post? Have it your way.

Last edited by warrior4jesus; 08-30-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:56 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by warrior4jesus
So this is what it has come to. the select few that think you know it all want to bash me at every comment or post I post? Have it your way.

You know I was questioning if I should post that. I guess the joke is not funny.

Forget it and mostly lighten up. It's a car forum, it's not something real serious.

BTW I am not bothered by you flipping cars. I'm not a vette guy unless it's a c1-c2 maybe.

In fact to be friendly I'll say you should buy the c6 and c7 if you want to make money flipping.

Life is way too short to be upset here. lol, Do you think people are worried about warrior4jesus? Nobody knows or cares.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:33 PM
warrior4jesus
Racer

Originally Posted by pologreen1
You know I was questioning if I should post that. I guess the joke is not funny.

Forget it and mostly lighten up. It's a car forum, it's not something real serious.

BTW I am not bothered by you flipping cars. I'm not a vette guy unless it's a c1-c2 maybe.

In fact to be friendly I'll say you should buy the c6 and c7 if you want to make money flipping.

Life is way too short to be upset here. lol, Do you think people are worried about warrior4jesus? Nobody knows or cares.
Ya you're probably right. Been on edge lately and I apologize. I'll get my sense of humor back eventually.

Quick Reply: My first Corvette - should these issues worry me?