C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Sticky Console

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:15 AM
SteveBlakeman
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sticky Console

It appear that it's been a few years since anyone has addressed this issue, so I'll tell my story here.

The problem was that my shift plate console was extremely sticky and no matter what cleaner I applied, it made no improvement. So to this forum I went...to see what others have done to fix the problem.

I learned that the Dulso coating (a thin rubbery substance applied over the plastic by the factory) does deteriorate in some situations, causing the stickiness. My 95 C4 has been a garage queen all of it's life so the cause of the stickiness clearly was not due to intense heat. I'm not sure why it happens.

I did a search of the forum to learn how to fix the issue and found several ideas and solutions. I chose to go with what I thought was the "safest" chemical to apply.

I removed the console plate form the car and then removed the small door (over the cup holders). Doing all this on my work bench, I applied the Non-acetone Nail Polish Remover with a rag (purchased from Wal-Mart for less than $2). It required a lot of rubbing and scraping with my thumb nail, but after a couple hours it was down to the original plastic. This was a messy job in that as the Dulso comes off in small pieces it is very sticky.

I then sanded the console and door with dry 600 grit sand paper and thoroughly washed it before applying the Dupli-color flat black paint and clear coat as seen in the pictures.

I reinstalled everything and it looks fantastic. The paint is a perfect match to the adjacent dash, etc.

Last edited by SteveBlakeman; 09-24-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:51 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

Wow. That came out looking beautiful! A great job well done. Congrats on the effort and the result. Thanks for sharing the how-to advice.

Live well,

SJW
The following users liked this post:
SteveBlakeman (09-17-2017)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:10 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

tagging for later

Get notified of new replies

To Sticky Console

Quick Reply: Sticky Console