C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

err message

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 01:41 PM
castlefrank
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default err message

I have a 93 Torch red on red (auto), recently acquired, and am still shaking out the bugs. I just had my ECM rebuilt, but before this, when pinning A and G, I would get C41, H41 for CCM; ERR for ECM; H62,H72 for ABS/ASR. Nothing has changed now. Anybody deal with this issue before, especially the ERR/ how did you fix it? If and when it starts, I am able to drive it with relative ease. I do hear squealing from the left head intake area. Typical symptoms of a fault do occur i.e cooling fan turns on, security light flashes. Interesting side note, upon rebuilding the ECM, I had the warning chime for key in ignition, and lights on, which was new. Now that too has stopped again.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

You have a data circuit problem. I would contact rebuilder and see what they say. Also any custom wiring or added non oem accessories? You should have factory manuals for this problem.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:41 PM
castlefrank
Intermediate

I had it rebuilt by NAPA. I requested a report on what, if anything, was wrong. They couldn't comply so I have no idea. I took the car out today to get gas and it died while driving. It would turn over, but wouldn't start like it wasn't getting fuel. I'm thinking ecm since it controls that. I cleared the codes and let it sit for a few minutes, then it started so I raced back home. What can I check from ecm to ????
Old 09-18-2017, 08:17 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I would look around for a used, working ecm.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

If you paid NAPA I want see how they warranty it. You could have a opti issue but err instead of codes points towards ecm. You need a fsm to properly diagnose it. 92-93 ecms are hard to find, there was one in parts section. What was going on the you had it rebuilt?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:33 AM
castlefrank
Intermediate

I have replaced the opti, water pump, all hoses, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, tps, map, tensioner, idler pulley, air idle control motor, icm, and coil. I have plugs, just haven't done them yet. When it runs, timing sounds great. I had it rebuilt because of trouble codes, hard starting, no starting, shutting off, and now it seems that the ECM wasn't necessarily the issue. Also because the previous owner claims the dealership diagnosed it as such. One of the reasons why it was sold to me. I love driving it when I can but am at wits end. No reliability is a downer
Old 09-19-2017, 08:11 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Can you get ecm flash codes? Ground wires are often overlooked. It's possible whatever is causing data communication code is causing drivability condition.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:13 AM
castlefrank
Intermediate

how do I get those? Do I need an obd 1 reader?
Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Jump a to b at dlc. It should make service engine soon flash. There should be two sequences of blinks which indicates codes 1 then 2 = 12 it should do that 3 times. The next group would be codes. They each will flash 3 times. When all the codes have flashed the 12 will return. 12 essentially means ecm is functioning.
The following users liked this post:
castlefrank (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:47 AM
castlefrank
Intermediate

so can I assume that if I only get the 12, that the ecm itself is good, but perhaps faulty wiring connecting it to the ccm? I am getting a C41, H41 for the 1.CCM
Old 09-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Yes, there could be a wiring problem or a faulty CCM. There is also a code for no tach signal to the abs module. The H means history code and the C means current. History codes can be a guessing game since you're looking for an intermittent condition. Current can be easier since fault is constant. Moving or wiggling wiring and going from current to history code, can help locate wiring problem. Also since lots of things were changed make sure the female terminals aren't spread from improper probing. It's terribly hard to open up terminals with meter probes causing intermittent contact with the mating connectors or components

Get notified of new replies

To err message

Quick Reply: err message