Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
View Poll Results: Downshift or Neutral?
Downshift
41.18%
Neutral
58.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Downshift or put in to Neutral to stop? POLL

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 12:06 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Like some others, I will downshift but usually only one gear. First I will let off the gas and let DFCO and engine braking slow the car a while, then downshift into 4th (or 3rd) doing a double-clutch rev-match, use the brakes some more, then glide it into neutral at the appropriate speed and use the brakes to stop completely. Around town I never get out of 5th gear, so after using DFCO I usually downshift to 3rd or 2nd with rev-match, more braking, then glide into neutral and brake to a stop. It has become 2nd nature and is very easy to drive the car this way.

I skip gears all the time, both up and downshifting. I only upshift sequentially when I want max acceleration. These engines have such a broad torque curve, there is no need to use every gear in normal driving. In my opinion. I rarely give it any gas letting out the clutch in 1st gear. But once the clutch is out...

Also I use the DFCO and engine braking a lot, it's very effective. We have a long hill nearby that I do every week in my normal schedule... simply letting off the gas in 6th gear will actually cause deceleration on the downhill run, and the temp usually drops from 198F to around 190F because no fuel is burning. Very "cool" lol.

Quick Reply: Downshift or put in to Neutral to stop? POLL