C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:03 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
He was single and wanted to hook up some tail. Today he is not and doesn't need it for that anymore? When I was single, I shopped for nicer shirts. Today, other than work attire, if the T-shirt isn't free, I don't want it (unless there is something significant)
Some of us choose not to give up on life just because we've got a girl at the moment. I have a friend that chose to give up when he met his current girl. She owns him now, because he got fat(ter), and over the years she has manipulated him into selling all the toys he liked. Now he's fat, in huge debt, and generally has no chance of finding another girl. SHE OWNS HIM.

You shouldn't change ho you live because you have or don't have a woman. Be yourself, and if the girl doesn't like it, there's plenty more of them. And don't ever get complacent about taking care of yourself, because there's plenty more guys out there too. And for the love of all that's holy, never EVER trust a THOT. Learn to spot the difference between a girl who likes you, and a girl who likes what you can do for her.

One final thing... this girl likes to travel with you, so you're worried about mpg... doesn't she have a car? There is NO shame in driving your girl's car, especially if its more efficient.
The following 2 users liked this post by FAUEE:
1993C4LT1 (11-05-2017), 2LZ (11-15-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 02:50 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

park it somewhere. I wonder how many times I have heard " I wish I had such and such that car I had back when I was young.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:29 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

If you like to travel, join the Navy and see the world..........
Old 11-05-2017, 08:39 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
If you can find the guy with money burning a hole in his pocket, life is good. OTOH, if I have to take a loan out and the bank won't finance it, well, it could be a long road I might not wish to take. That cuts down your chances. Salesmen have been good enough to sucker someone into falling in love with the item and pay more than it is worth. BTDT myself but I wouldn't count on it.
Bottom line is always the same: A car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. Two months on CL - in the off season no less!

I like FAUEE's thought. Drive HER car on the trips.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:04 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

You have a lot going on in your life, so recommendations from others may not take into account all of the things you have a priority about.

That said, your mileage issue is really pretty minor. Just doing some math can tell you how much of a difference there can be. For example if you Corvette gets about 28 mpg on the highway vs a car that gets 35 mpg, if you drive 15k miles per year at $2.75 per gallon the economy car would save you about $295 per year. In my case I got closer to 30 mpg and the fuel cost was less than that, so for me the difference was under $200 per year. Pretty trivial in an overview.

The talk about your girlfriend and ages is something you need to judge. It can be good or bad. In my case we were young and when we married she was 18 (I was a couple years older). We have been married for about 39 years so far and it was the best decision we have made. However, it does not work out for many people to marry this young.

The number of things you need to balance are many, your budget (cars, travel, women, school, hobbies, entertainment, setting up your household, etc) not to mention the things you find important. You need to think about a plan to balance your goals.

The bottom line is that you need to look at your priorities and budget to decide.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:14 AM
gdgeorge
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

>>Member Since: Apr 2016 Posts: 760 Thanks: 2
>>Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
>>
>>If you like to travel, join the Navy and see the world..........

Or join the men's department of the Navy and be a Marine... <running, grinning, and ducking>

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker
Old 11-05-2017, 10:18 AM
gdgeorge
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

See exotic foreign lands.
Sample exotic fare.
Try exotic foreign sex.
Meet exotic foreign people. (And kill them.)

OK, I'm done. Apologies for going o/t. Lack of sleep, maybe?

Old 11-05-2017, 11:19 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Some of us choose not to give up on life just because we've got a girl at the moment. I have a friend that chose to give up when he met his current girl. She owns him now, because he got fat(ter), and over the years she has manipulated him into selling all the toys he liked. Now he's fat, in huge debt, and generally has no chance of finding another girl. SHE OWNS HIM.

You shouldn't change ho you live because you have or don't have a woman. Be yourself, and if the girl doesn't like it, there's plenty more of them. And don't ever get complacent about taking care of yourself, because there's plenty more guys out there too. And for the love of all that's holy, never EVER trust a THOT. Learn to spot the difference between a girl who likes you, and a girl who likes what you can do for her.

One final thing... this girl likes to travel with you, so you're worried about mpg... doesn't she have a car? There is NO shame in driving your girl's car, especially if its more efficient.
I wouldn't but try tell that to myself at 18.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:22 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gdgeorge
>>Member Since: Apr 2016 Posts: 760 Thanks: 2
>>Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
>>
>>If you like to travel, join the Navy and see the world..........

Or join the men's department of the Navy and be a Marine... <running, grinning, and ducking>

Old 11-05-2017, 01:09 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Just to make some things clear and give a little more details, when we go places we take her car, a 2016 Honda civic which gets 35 mpg and is a awesome little car for daily driving. My trucks averaging between 13-16 and the corvettes currently getting 18 mpg given where I drive the car (little highway travel for both vehicles) so basically both of those combined isn't getting me even 35 mpg, not to mention the Vette takes premium.

I'm in no way considering selling my car based on my girlfriend, she knows I love the car and is actually one of many telling me NOT to get rid of it because she see's how much I enjoy it, she actually thinks I should get rid of the truck. Yes, the truck was my grandfathers, only reason I'm the owner of it because it was left to me. I was hoping my dad would take ownership of the truck because he could afford to maintain the truck better, but instead fixed his truck and still has it. If I could afford to have 3 cars I would, and had the room to park them. The truck is also getting to the age (11 years) that i'm starting to worry when somethings going to really go and cost me a lot.

A lot of the information given so far has been very helpful, but many blaming my girlfriend for me considering selling the car just isn't the case. Any more feed back would be greatly appreciated, looking at cheaper new cars is slightly intimidating, even a base model kia or hyundai starting at 13-16k once it's optioned out decently its 20k+ before taxes for what I assume to be still a pretty shitty car... now I know 20k isn't much when looking at cars in general, but I still think it's a lot for a car.

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 11-05-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:50 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

What kind of 11 year old truck has you worried? I see 20 to 25 year old trucks driving around all the time around here. Trucks are the most reliable vehicles on the planet, and easiest to fix.

I bought 2 new cars in my life, one was a giant mistake, the other was dumb but not a mistake. About 2 years ago I bought a super nice f150 platinum. I was sick of the (minir) issues my daily driver was giving me. I traded that and my 2010 grand sport on it. It was a huge miatake. My F150 was super nice, did everything, was super luxurious and comfortable, and had every feature on the planet (it would even park itself). It also was absolutely no fun, made me feel.like an old man, and was just too big to park or tow my jet skis. I ended up trading it (at a huge loss) after a year on my next new car.

I then bought a 2017 STI. It was awesome. Drove great, was fun, and made me happy to drive again. I traded it after a short time on my current centennial GS, which was my dream car. I don't regret buying the sti new, as used ones were basically the same price. I traded it for a very significant loss too.

Point of all that was don't buy new cars. I could have bought a whole other car with the losses I took trading those cars. If you really feel the need to get something to commute in, buy a cheap used economy car
Old 11-05-2017, 04:33 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

You can get other cars, but you will never get back what you had. Sometimes prices go up, sometimes go down.

I ended up being a single dad at age 33, raising 2 kids on my own. Had to sell my '65 ragtop that I had restored. I sold that car for $15,500 in 1990'ish. Today, well you know what they cost, especially one that is not beat to death.

You know, hindsight is foresight and you never know what the world and time will bring. But most everyone (not EVERYone, but most) I talk to at the cruise-ins and car shows still lament about the one they sold, lost, somehow don't have it now as it got away.

Once you get into school, you may or may not get a good job. You will have (unless you come from a wealthy family) accumulated college debt that will have to be paid off. Then time rolls by and unless you land a good high paying job and keep your pecker in your pants, along comes a family and a house and all those financial responsibilities.

Then you have to make a decision. Corvette or pickup truck and camper, braces for the kids, soccer mom van, some or other always comes up etc etc. You get my drift.

When I sold my car, I really thought I was OK with it. But it turned out that 25 yrs later when my buddies starting getting Corvettes and such and it was back in my face again, that I really did miss that car. Even though it was just metal and fiberglass, I had a lot invested into it as I do all my own wrenching, always have.

So think long and hard. The folks here on the forum shared your search and the satisfaction you felt from finding that car it would be awful in 6 months or so, you posted you wish you never sold it.

Last edited by drcook; 11-05-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:54 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If that truck was your grandfathers he passed on to you hang onto it;try not to ever look at transportation as an emergency savings account
Park it, always nice to have it when you want it;as time passes youll be glad you did. Parts are cheap on CL....hell, mines 15 yrs old rely on it for everything dont worry too much;sure if something broke Id dread it as Im flat busted thats life youll find a way.
PLenty of guys parting them out on CL so pick up that $200 alternator for $20.

Know youre having fun but dating costs $ live within your means.

Last edited by cv67; 11-05-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

What kind of 11 year old truck has you worried? I see 20 to 25 year old trucks driving around all the time around here. Trucks are the most reliable vehicles on the planet, and easiest to fix.
I just sold a '96 1500 that runs like the proverbial "raped ape"...with 300,000 miles on it.

I've changed my mind. Fauee is knocking it out of the park w/his advice.

I had a Trans Am years ago that I put 12 years worth of ME into...and it was pretty awesome, but could have gotten even better. I sold it in a situation sort of like yours. Seemed like the smart, "mature" thing to do at the time, but I didn't get a meaningful amount of money for it (in the big picture) and now I wish I never sold it. So...there is that.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:29 PM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Don't forget to look into what the annual vehicle property tax is going to cost you. Just ask someone who lives in your town what they are paying on similar valued vehicles.

Gary
Old 11-05-2017, 10:03 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by yd328
Don't forget to look into what the annual vehicle property tax is going to cost you. Just ask someone who lives in your town what they are paying on similar valued vehicles.

Gary
Can you start a thread about what this means, or simply PM me ? I am curious, here in Ohio we simply pay for our license plates yearly, no added on taxes etc. I have heard out west they have that, in Wyoming, so they keep their old vehicles running as long as possible, as the newer they are, the more expensive the tax.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
Can you start a thread about what this means, or simply PM me ? I am curious, here in Ohio we simply pay for our license plates yearly, no added on taxes etc. I have heard out west they have that, in Wyoming, so they keep their old vehicles running as long as possible, as the newer they are, the more expensive the tax.
The amount is based on the MSRP of the car, a member here (Zeek) just paid over $600/yr in tax on a Jeep he bought.

Last edited by Patsgarage; 11-05-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for advice.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
Just to make some things clear and give a little more details, when we go places we take her car, a 2016 Honda civic which gets 35 mpg and is a awesome little car for daily driving. My trucks averaging between 13-16 and the corvettes currently getting 18 mpg given where I drive the car (little highway travel for both vehicles) so basically both of those combined isn't getting me even 35 mpg, not to mention the Vette takes premium.

I'm in no way considering selling my car based on my girlfriend, she knows I love the car and is actually one of many telling me NOT to get rid of it because she see's how much I enjoy it, she actually thinks I should get rid of the truck. Yes, the truck was my grandfathers, only reason I'm the owner of it because it was left to me. I was hoping my dad would take ownership of the truck because he could afford to maintain the truck better, but instead fixed his truck and still has it. If I could afford to have 3 cars I would, and had the room to park them. The truck is also getting to the age (11 years) that i'm starting to worry when somethings going to really go and cost me a lot.

A lot of the information given so far has been very helpful, but many blaming my girlfriend for me considering selling the car just isn't the case. Any more feed back would be greatly appreciated, looking at cheaper new cars is slightly intimidating, even a base model kia or hyundai starting at 13-16k once it's optioned out decently its 20k+ before taxes for what I assume to be still a pretty shitty car... now I know 20k isn't much when looking at cars in general, but I still think it's a lot for a car.
Once you start talking about gas mileage and upkeep costs, you are talking about quantifiable items. You want to talk about the truck or the C4 and your feelings, that is emotional. I'm not saying you can't have your emotional needs met. Problem is we have too many kids that want to cater to their emotional needs today and well, when the bill comes due tomorrow, they have regret and lots of time to wallow in the regret.

Can I justify dumping my built up C4 and get the newest C7? Nope. Can I swing it financially? Sure. It will feel good today till the bill comes due tomorrow. Does it suck to have to choose between what is practical today vs what the proverbial heart wants? Absolutely. Does it suck that I have to stay in my dorm studying for the finals tomorrow when that hottie I have been chasing the last 3 months is available for a good time tonight? Absolutely. Let me flunk that class and I have a whole semester to regret it, not to mention that failing grade on my GPA that haunts me for life, etc.

If I were in your situation, I'd dump both the cars and get something for less than 20K that is reliable to do your schooling, get a good job and by then, you might not have to settle for whatever you sold and instead find something way better. You might be able to afford several somethings even. IDK about your financial situation so you need to decide with your head first and if the situation allows, your heart.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Point of all that was don't buy new cars. I could have bought a whole other car with the losses I took trading those cars. If you really feel the need to get something to commute in, buy a cheap used economy car
Wait. You didn't like that new car smell and knowing you were the first to pop it's cherry? Seriously, it depends. If something happened to me, I'd want my wife to buy a new car every so often or get a leased one. She doesn't know the first thing about car repair or maintenance so she will need a warranty and when that extended warranty is done, dump the chump. As everyone knows, once titled to you, the car instantly loses value BEFORE you drive it off the lot. The only value is that you have a warranty.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:32 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I had a Trans Am years ago that I put 12 years worth of ME into...and it was pretty awesome, but could have gotten even better. I sold it in a situation sort of like yours. Seemed like the smart, "mature" thing to do at the time, but I didn't get a meaningful amount of money for it (in the big picture) and now I wish I never sold it. So...there is that.
I had a brand new 91 Firebird. I didn't know the first thing about maintaining a car. Put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into getting it the way I wanted. I enjoyed the power I could afford to put into it and when it got wrecked and totaled in 04, it was salvage. While I put quite a few years of ME into it as well. Didn't miss it one bit. Moved on to the next thing. I put 480K on my 99 E300 and can't afford to sell it since it would be a waste of time and advertisement for what I can get for it. Sits as a dog park car. When the day comes where it dies, I sell it for scrap. I won't shed a tear. It don't owe me any money and when the time is up, the time is up.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice.