Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I say keep the vette in you moms garage if she'll let you, take the truck to school, and the girlfriend's car on long trips. I know I don't know your whole financial picture but I would only sell if the sale would generate "life changing money" or if keeping it would stop you from a major move forward in life (keeping you from going to college or buying a home). You don't seem to be a slave to the car (no large payment or insurance) and with it used sparsely or put into mothballs the operating costs should be minimal. You will always be able to enjoy it later on in life and it's already paid for.

Obviously I'm giving advise based on my experience...I bought a brand new 1988 SS Monte Carlo back in march 1988. I planned on having it forever...to be that old guy with the low mile pristine one owner car. Things changed over the years and in 1995 I needed to buy a home. I needed $17,000 for the down payment so I sold all of my current cars and one van to get the money as well as money to fix the house up. I wound up getting $12,000 for the SS which wasn't bad for a 7 year old used car (was pristine with only 12k miles) that I only paid $15k for new (retained 80% value). I don't regret it as my home has been one of the best investments I've ever made (I still live there) and I would have never been able to do it if I kept the car. However...I always said I'd get another one and I'm still looking...came close twice this year but still eludes me. They are not rare cars but finding the right one...for the right money...right options and color...right condition...etc...not easy.

So...if you feel it will really propell you forward in life then sell...but if only to get a few books and meals on campus (sale of a C4 generally won't pay for an education) and save a small amount on fuel...I'd just keep it for the future because replacement later could be a problem.
The following users liked this post:
BrandensBeast (11-19-2017)

Quick Reply: Looking for advice.