Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2017, 11:21 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that tid bit of cooler and marginally denser air will make it worth your while when you are burning more fuel during the winter time, which is where I noticed the mileage difference in my years of logging.

Well, when you warm up air and mix a small spray of gasoline, don't you produce a better vapor from this? There is something to having all those incoming air molecules striking the hot throttle body and blades before making their way to the intake runners and ports for combustion.

since the police love to single my car out for being a sports car! Plenty of people around me drive dull and average cars, I don't see them getting the attention that my slower driving sports car gets from law enforcement!

Well, don't you sound like a smart fellow, removing those dorky air bags for a daily driver? Well, explain to me how more vacuum pressure does NOT relate to fuel consumption! The winning combination, in my mind, is increased low end torque and plenty of vacuum production. Being the dork that I am, I am thinking that pairing the TPI intake with my factory camshaft along with complimentary bolt on parts, shall give me the lame duck performance boost I seek while helping me maintain, IF NOT, marginally increase my fuel economy a bit more.
Did you even notice that your BTU is decreased? IOW, doesn't that mean that you are burning more gallons of fuel to get the same amount of power to move the car?

How much warmer is the air? How much better is the vapor when your injectors are making that vapor?

If you are that afraid of the police singling you out, perhaps you need to drive a car that doesn't look like it is speeding when standing still.

If you have the money, commission such an intake. Being the self admitted dork and mad scientist, do it right. Put it on an engine dyno and do controlled test otherwise, all you got is a SWAG.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

IIRC, while we THINK that means death, in actual situations, it might just be the opposite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_signal

According to Anthony Corbeill, a classical studies professor who extensively researched the practice, thumbs up signalled killing the gladiator while "a closed fist with a wraparound thumb" meant sparing him.[5][6]
Old 12-09-2017, 06:56 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I have seen two cases of iced carbs. Neither had manifold heat. One was when I was working the oil/gas fields in Whoming. Completely (almost)m closed off the throats. The other was when I installed a 4 brl carb on my 6 banger ford pick up. It happens.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 12-09-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:57 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I have seen two cases of iced carbs. Neither had manifold heat. One was when I was working the oil/gas fields in Whoming. Completely (almost)m closed off the throats. The other was when I installed a 4 brl carb on my 6 banger ford pick up. It happens.
Yes it does. Early model s-10 trucks (82-85) with the 2.8 engine actually had heating element as part of the carb gasket. This worked ok until it stopped working. Once heater failed, then that sucker would freeze solid and the truck wouldn't run for 15 minutes until the block of ice formed on the heating element would melt.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:55 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Ban me for what? Having a conversation about fuel economy modification on a performance forum for Corvette owners?! I know I am not the only one asking about daily driving upgrades to their motor, so why am I singled out when I contribute to the conversation?
Because you're not contributing. Your last pile of horse **** isn't worth replying to; either b/c you don't "get it", or b/c you're playing games -same as all your other posts/threads.

I agree with the others. I would give you the boot if I were a mod.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 12-09-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:34 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Because you're not contributing. Your last pile of horse **** isn't worth replying to; either b/c you don't "get it", or b/c you're playing games -same as all your other posts/threads.

I agree with the others. I would give you the boot if I were a mod.
Oh he gets it alright.
This is a game for him, don't think its not. There has been a veritable avalanche of evidence along the way.
Honestly, it was pretty dam funny the way everyone was getting sucked into it, but now he is struggling to find people to play the game on. His original threads are dead, and the number of people willing to engage him is quickly shrinking. This is why he is infecting other threads. He is still playing the game.
The best way forward here would be for him to start participating in an honorable way. He has already made a hell of an introduction for himself, that's for sure.
Eventually, there will be a time to start the game again. In the future there will be people to play the game on. Now is not that time. Now its time to stop.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Well, you certainly sound like you know what my intentions are. I either "don't 'get it'", or I am "playing games". Honestly, you are full of it, and yes, I am contributing to this site!

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Oh he gets it alright.
This is a game for him, don't think its not. There has been a veritable avalanche of evidence along the way.
Honestly, it was pretty dam funny the way everyone was getting sucked into it, but now he is struggling to find people to play the game on. His original threads are dead, and the number of people willing to engage him is quickly shrinking. This is why he is infecting other threads. He is still playing the game.
The best way forward here would be for him to start participating in an honorable way. He has already made a hell of an introduction for himself, that's for sure.
Eventually, there will be a time to start the game again. In the future there will be people to play the game on. Now is not that time. Now its time to stop.
I love how people loosely throw around the label of "troll" for people they have a disagreement with of some kind! I am not playing games, I am serious as can be, and I have a different notion of performance modding than you do! Don't force your crap on me when I am trying to balance which of your suggestions work best for my build goals.

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 12-09-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:41 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Don't force your crap on me when I am trying to balance which of your suggestions work best for my build goals.
Ahhh, I don't think that PDT has "forced crap on you". He very likely gave you sound advice. You likely took that, however, and turned it into crap.

Honestly, you are full of it, and yes, I am contributing to this site!
Between the two of us? I am definitely NOT the one who is "full of it". Like all your other minutia, even this point was covered in ANOTHER THREAD. Similar to this thread, that didn't turn out that well for you, either.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 12-09-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:00 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I love how people loosely throw around the label of "troll" for people they have a disagreement with of some kind! I am not playing games, I am serious as can be, and I have a different notion of performance modding than you do! Don't force your crap on me when I am trying to balance which of your suggestions work best for my build goals.
We don't have a disagreement. We both know what your doing, and now everyone knows what your doing. Don't be a fool. Quit while your ahead.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:33 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Phoenix'97
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
We don't have a disagreement. We both know what your doing, and now everyone knows what your doing. Don't be a fool. Quit while your ahead.
I know you are ganging up on me. This only proves what kind of guys you are and what kind of forum this is for people who are seeking to modify their cars outside of the scope that you modify your cars. I thought this place was going to be different but you are no different! I won't stop commenting because I am not trolling. I have legitimate questions and plans to eventually modify my car. This internet bullying you are engaging in only proves what kind of guys you are! I don't need to belittle and bully people on an internet forum to force them to leave.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:54 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I know you are ganging up on me. This only proves what kind of guys you are and what kind of forum this is for people who are seeking to modify their cars outside of the scope that you modify your cars. I thought this place was going to be different but you are no different! I won't stop commenting because I am not trolling. I have legitimate questions and plans to eventually modify my car.

This internet bullying you are engaging in only proves what kind of guys you are! I don't need to belittle and bully people on an internet forum to force them to leave.
Only reason we are ganging up on you is that someone slipped us money in an envelope to do that. It was "Big Oil". I gave the money back since I couldn't do it in good conscience. I decided to sell some ocean front property in Arizona. From my front porch you can see the sea. I got some ocean front property in Arizona. If you'll buy that I'll throw the golden gate in free.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:09 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I have a different notion of performance modding than you do!
And your notion of performance modding is??? I cringe to even ask this
Old 12-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by TA
And your notion of performance modding is??? I cringe to even ask this
You shouldn't have asked. This thread is going to regret it.

Just do a search for his UN and do a little reading. You'll get the jist of this poster and his idea of "performance"...REAL quick.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:16 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I know you are ganging up on me. This only proves what kind of guys you are and what kind of forum this is for people who are seeking to modify their cars outside of the scope that you modify your cars. I thought this place was going to be different but you are no different! I won't stop commenting because I am not trolling. I have legitimate questions and plans to eventually modify my car. This internet bullying you are engaging in only proves what kind of guys you are! I don't need to belittle and bully people on an internet forum to force them to leave.

going to say it again...Moderators????

Penix is trolling and admits to not owning a Vette after some discussion uncovered it. I think the f body forum handled him already.

Lets have a vote poll.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
going to say it again...Moderators????

Penix is trolling and admits to not owning a Vette after some discussion uncovered it. I think the f body forum handled him already.

Lets have a vote poll.
I'm going with "Snowflake" as the latest one.

Get notified of new replies

To coolant lines / throttle body

Old 01-01-2018, 05:56 PM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I bypassed my 89 L98 with aluminum heads, made a noticeable difference. Idles better, runs stronger and holds a 185-195 coolant temp with stock HD rad and fans. I can have it run for a good drive, bring it home, pop the hood and touch the intake without burning my hand. Cooler air entering the intake and heads is never a bad thing, especially for C4s. One of the main purposes of your EGR system, in addition to burning off more NOx, was to cool head temps so the timing could be advanced and increase fuel economy. Cooler air through the intake only helps that process. Enjoy the "free" mod, you wont be sorry you did it
Old 01-02-2018, 10:12 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JasBass
I bypassed my 89 L98 with aluminum heads, made a noticeable difference. Idles better, runs stronger and holds a 185-195 coolant temp with stock HD rad and fans. I can have it run for a good drive, bring it home, pop the hood and touch the intake without burning my hand. Cooler air entering the intake and heads is never a bad thing, especially for C4s. One of the main purposes of your EGR system, in addition to burning off more NOx, was to cool head temps so the timing could be advanced and increase fuel economy. Cooler air through the intake only helps that process. Enjoy the "free" mod, you wont be sorry you did it
I don't know if it will give you all that just from the slightly cooler air going in. ECM should adjust. TB gets a lot of heat from the engine. If I still had the stock IAC housing, I would connect it back to see what the ECM sees. I'm skeptical about what a person feels since it is so subjective and susceptible to the Placebo effect.

When trying out recoil dampening springs on one of my guns, I did a blind test with the wife. I don't tell her which did and I ask her to rate 3 configurations without telling her anything. I just ask her to give me her opinion on which feels better but she doesn't know what what order she is getting them and what load she is firing with what.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:36 AM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I don't know if it will give you all that just from the slightly cooler air going in. ECM should adjust. TB gets a lot of heat from the engine. If I still had the stock IAC housing, I would connect it back to see what the ECM sees. I'm skeptical about what a person feels since it is so subjective and susceptible to the Placebo effect.

When trying out recoil dampening springs on one of my guns, I did a blind test with the wife. I don't tell her which did and I ask her to rate 3 configurations without telling her anything. I just ask her to give me her opinion on which feels better but she doesn't know what what order she is getting them and what load she is firing with what.
I agree with you about the subjective part, not debating that at all. Back in my competition days, people would swear certain brand rifles/shotguns would kick harder, regardless of action. It was all BS. But, to go from not being able to touch the plenum to touching the plenum pushes a little beyond subjectivity. Coolant temps would run 210-215 on a stock HD rad system. Bypassed the TB and started seeing 185-195. 30 degrees (at the extremes) is enough to feel a difference for sure. Grumpy wrote up a nice article on it, showed some pretty convincing evidence it makes a difference. Not saying its 100 HP, but why not try and run nice cooler air to your engine

Quick Reply: coolant lines / throttle body