C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Leaking C 4 roof

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:04 AM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking C 4 roof

Iknow this is an issue with most C 4 Corvettes. I have recently replaced the ECU and the car is running great. Possible old ECU part failure due to ingress of rainwater. I have spent several weeks getting the interior bone dry again. I keep the car covered with a Stormforce breathable cover which blew of the car last night during a period of high winds and heavy rain. This weather is normal during the winter months in the UK. I am sorely tempted to take the roof panel off, dry everything out and then silicone seal the roof back in position to stop a repeat of the above. I can live with the roof being non removable which to me is a price worth paying for a dry car. The roof seals look in good condition but are not doing the job, but there seems to be little point in changing them, if that probably wont cure the problem long term. Any thoughts guys?.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:32 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

If your sure its the top, You could try to remove the top and treat the seals with di-electric grease or a like product actually you should do all your seals at least once a year.

personally I would not seal the top on the car.

This is what I am referring too.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/che...c-grease-18218
Old 01-15-2018, 12:29 PM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Thanks for that. I have used silicone grease in the past which seems to be what most of the C 4 owners in the UK use. Some of the UK owners seem to put up with the leaks and one suggested I wear a waxed jacket.Not a sensible solution. I guess some of you guys in the US don't have issues with a lot of rain. I still think a watertight roof is a must to protect the somewhat delicate electrics.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:10 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

I know this may seem like an almost sinful thing to do, but, would you consider just permanently sealing the top to the body. Since I hated driving the car with the top off due to incredible amount of body shake and had water leakage issues, I finally gave up and sealed the top to the body. Its been dry ever since.
I used a professional product purchased on line that seals the windshield to the windshield frame.
The following users liked this post:
i987c0sw0rth (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 02:54 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

How about try using a thin foam strip 1/8x1 inch wide as a trial something that will compress well.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:00 PM
NavAir
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

My '89 has a leak driver's side upper front corner that has been there since new. I have tried silicone grease, RTV under the weatherstrip to no avail. The car is stored in a hangar now, and doesn't get driven intentionally in the rain, so I'm willing to let it ride for now. Good luck on a fix.

Steve
Old 01-15-2018, 10:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
I know this may seem like an almost sinful thing to do, but, would you consider just permanently sealing the top to the body. Since I hated driving the car with the top off due to incredible amount of body shake and had water leakage issues, I finally gave up and sealed the top to the body. Its been dry ever since.
I used a professional product purchased on line that seals the windshield to the windshield frame.
I took my roof off once several years ago. That said, I wouldn't dare to do that. The first day after it was sealed, I will bet any money that I will find an absolute need to take it off. DOH!!!
Old 01-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
I took my roof off once several years ago. That said, I wouldn't dare to do that. The first day after it was sealed, I will bet any money that I will find an absolute need to take it off. DOH!!!
I hear you, but having done it over 5years ago, I've had the seats, carpeting, console, etc. out and never needed to take it off.
To each his own.
i987c0sw0rth (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 10:44 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
I hear you, but having done it over 5years ago, I've had the seats, carpeting, console, etc. out and never needed to take it off.
To each his own.
Perhaps but if there were 10000 lottery tickets and I bought 9999, the last one would be the one that came it. Last year I plugged the slot machine. Sure it paid but overall I lost. Some asszhole came in and within a couple of spins won a huge jackpot. Can't win for losing.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
Perhaps but if there were 10000 lottery tickets and I bought 9999, the last one would be the one that came it. Last year I plugged the slot machine. Sure it paid but overall I lost. Some asszhole came in and within a couple of spins won a huge jackpot. Can't win for losing.
Sounds like my experiences. Murphy's law follows me around and slaps me in the back of my head often. I swear the Mayhem Guy from Allstate lives in my basement. Gotta love it!

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 01-15-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:07 AM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Thanks guys. I think I am going to seal the top to the body. Have driven it with top off in the past but wind turbulence and noise , and vibration not a pleasant experience. Even if roof did not leak, I would not be in a hurry to take it off again.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:41 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by i987c0sw0rth
Thanks guys. I think I am going to seal the top to the body. Have driven it with top off in the past but wind turbulence and noise , and vibration not a pleasant experience. Even if roof did not leak, I would not be in a hurry to take it off again.
I used DOW U-418, Betaseal, Windshield Urethane Adhesive. Don't use the U-418 HV (High Viscosity version) -it is THICK.
Can be applied using a caulking gun. One tube should be enough, make sure you clean off whatever is on the mating surfaces. Can be found on-line for about $10.00 plus ship. PS there is a "Use By" date on the top of the tube. Make sure you get one before that date.
Good luck

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 01-16-2018 at 07:57 PM.
i987c0sw0rth (01-17-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:28 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

If it were me, I'd use 1/8" butyl sealant. It comes in a roll. Used for campers and such. Butyl stays soft so someday you, or the next owner, can remove the top and clean it up again if you want. Urethane is great stuff, but removing it won't be so great.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:47 AM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

OK, I have sealed the roof panel . I first took it off, cleaned everything, added a compressible self adhesive tape to the underside and re-fixed the panel in position. I then used a super duper windscreen mastic joint to seal between the top of the windscreen and the front edge of the roof panel. We have had heavy rain and snow since, but the car interior is bone dry. I know I could remove the roof panel if I wanted to, but I can't see that happening. Thanks again to all you guys for your help and advice.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by i987c0sw0rth
OK, I have sealed the roof panel . I first took it off, cleaned everything, added a compressible self adhesive tape to the underside and re-fixed the panel in position. I then used a super duper windscreen mastic joint to seal between the top of the windscreen and the front edge of the roof panel. We have had heavy rain and snow since, but the car interior is bone dry. I know I could remove the roof panel if I wanted to, but I can't see that happening. Thanks again to all you guys for your help and advice.
Hope the leak was really the top.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:14 PM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Sealing the top prevents access to the bolts holding the visors so make sure you’re not gonna have to replace them afterwards.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking C 4 roof

Quick Reply: Leaking C 4 roof