C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Headlights Issue

Old 02-03-2018, 11:47 PM
krowncues
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights Issue

Hi Guys,
This seems t be a very large issue throughout this and most forums but I can not seem to find an answer to my exact problem. The question is simple but the answer seems to be very hard to find lol. My headlights will BOTH work but they BOTH only go up halfway then stop. No noises from the motor and they will retract just fine as well they will simply not go up 100% and the strange thing is that it is equal for both the right and left lights.......
Old 02-04-2018, 01:14 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by krowncues
Hi Guys,
This seems to be a very large issue throughout this and most forums
Mr. Krown, if you've spent a lot of time on these Forums, you should have noticed that a very big problem is created when the person asking the question doesn't tell us what year Corvette they are asking about. We appreciate the confidence you have in this Forum, but those with psychic abilities are quite rare!

Old 02-04-2018, 05:59 AM
krowncues
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1990 c4
L98
Old 02-04-2018, 06:54 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Disconnect the wire harness to each light and run 12v to each light directly and see if it opens correctly. If it does then the headlight module would be suspect...barring the 90's have that module.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:43 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by krowncues
1990 c4
L98
You know, if we know more about where you newbies are, we can come and steal your soul and sell it for cigarettes.

I wish you people would fill up the profile so we know what car you have and what your location is. For instance, if you are in the Milwaukee area, I might be able to swing by one evening after work to lend you a tool or better yet, lend you one of my spare modules so you can see if your motor has an issue or if it is your module.

The way it works is simple. You turn the headlight on, it sends a signal to the motor. When it hits the end of the run, the motor will still push it to go further. That requires more draw than before and thus the module interprets that spike as "end of the run". Since it is both equally, I might think module. Still, you can turn the **** manually and see if it happens to feel different or is binding half way. For all you know, some dingbat tried to fix it and screwed up the assembly.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:44 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Recommend checking if the dreaded is happening first. Have someone else turn on headlights while you listen up front. Hopefully no thuds, the headlights will stop if bumping into something in the front bays.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:00 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Open your hood and watch/listen while you or somebody else operates the switch. There might be something snagging or bumping a light with the hood down, like a loose harness wire or something down in the light well.
If they work when the hood is up, then you have something in the way somewhere. If they act the same with the hood up, I'd say you have either binding in the linkage somewhere or possibly a bad control module. Try the manual dial on each headlight like mentioned above to feel if there is any binding in the linkages and the 12v jumper wire trick to see if they will go all the way up and down.
If you do jump them to 12v be sure to STOP/remove power when they hit the end of the travel or it might bend the linkage.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights Issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlights Issue