C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

No Start Problem WARNING

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 06:37 PM
jagvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No Start Problem WARNING

Recently I took my baby (1988 Corvette) out for a ride and it started to falter and then wouldnt start, much to my embarrassment I had to call AAA to get me home, after a little while I found that the fuel pump was not working, when I removed it I discovered the problem (see picture), I WAS SO LUCKY that the car didn't catch fire and take me with it, I suggest you all check this (it wont take long) the pump connection had failed and this is in the gas tank and the end result could have been so much worse than my embarrassment .
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2018, 06:45 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Holy Sh*t! Wow? How did that happen? Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-18-2018, 03:52 PM
jagvette
Intermediate

Default Hot corvette fire bomb lucky escape

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Holy Sh*t! Wow? How did that happen? Thanks for the heads up!
I haven't a clue how it happened I can only assume old age for approximately $200 I will be replacing the fuel pump sender and fuel filter, a lot cheaper than having to replace my car.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:56 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

**** man. that could easily have exploded with vapour in the tank.

has anybody else seen this?

Old 02-18-2018, 03:57 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by jagvette
I haven't a clue how it happened I can only assume old age for approximately $200 I will be replacing the fuel pump sender and fuel filter, a lot cheaper than having to replace my car.
I'd consider only the 'bulk-head' connector and an appropriate wiring kit. I'd much prefer that to a sender of 'unknown' origin. Racetronix has changed their offering a bit I believe recently and I've no idea what they consider 'current' or offered. It's not unusual for vendors to sell off some and then offer only the newer. Maybe you reach out to them.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-18-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:09 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

This happens somewhat frequently, and is nothing to be concerned about with the exception that it will cause an intermittent no start, or stalling problem.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:20 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

i produce oil with natural gas in it, and our 1000bbl tanks at surface are highly flammable. BUT as you say, that is the vent gas coming out the tanks into the atmosphere. We are extremely careful not to wear clothing that will spark with static and there are many setback regulations that do an excellent job of keeping everybody safe.

Hearing that you guys have seen this over the years is at least somewhat comforting.

I would have thought that a gas tank has a one way valve to let atmosphere in as the tank discharges to fill the vacuum though?
Old 02-18-2018, 04:38 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
I'm curious: What's the white plastic box on the left of the pic that the wires go into?

I've seen that box on some tank units but most recently only some of the reproduction. If the OP's has a tag wrapped on the pigtail outside of the tank unit it may be possible to ID it as OE or whatever. An '88 was a one year tank unit I believe so there's no telling that it isn't OE unless you've an original to disprove it. It does have the PED ID so it's maybe OE.

Here's a link to a 'reproduction' '88 and it looks just like the OP's snapshot

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...ainer-643251-1

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-18-2018 at 04:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IHBD (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:30 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

It does. But it's a 1/4" hose. Not much area. It goes to the carbon canister for EVAP control.

Even if there is air in the tank, there is still not enough oxygen to support combustion at atmospheric pressure. The mixture is "too rich" to ignite. I may be FOS, and therefore don't intend to drop my guard around hazardous situations, but this is what I recall about fuel tanks and internal sparks.

EDIT: Ok, I did a quick google, and found what I remember learning aboot this decades ago. Sorry for the plagiarism, but this is the explanation, emphasis is mine.

"There is no danger, as mentioned above, not only is oxygen necessary to support combustion, but there needs to be close to 14.7 times more oxygen than fuel by volume for ignition to occur. This will never happen inside a tank, not even an empty tank because the gasoline fumes will displace almost all of the oxygen. Think about it, other than in a collision, how many fuel tank explosions have you heard of?"
thanks dogs, this is a good lesson for all of us to learn.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:37 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

I don't think you were in any danger of exploding and would be willing to bet the farm on it.

Hot connectors like that are typically connections that have become loose and resulted in resistance or crimps at the connector that have resistance or just good old corrosion. You can even see the one terminal was arcing - that's loose my friend.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 02-18-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:31 PM
jagvette
Intermediate

I am no expert but my concern was that each time I re-fuel I allow enough oxygen to give it all the elements for a fire, heat , fuel, oxygen.

either way I am glad it only failed to start and did not ignite.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:12 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

I hate to say it but I have changed out more C4 pumps and sending units than I can remember and that is more common than not.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
This happens somewhat frequently, and is nothing to be concerned about with the exception that it will cause an intermittent no start, or stalling problem.
Originally Posted by corvette95
I hate to say it but I have changed out more C4 pumps and sending units than I can remember and that is more common than not.
X3. In fact, it's so common, many new pumps come with a new pig tail end as part of the "kit", specifically to repair that issue while changing the pump.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:01 AM
3betsvette
7th Gear

Default Jet Fuel fiction from TSB

You're in the oil business, so you probably know more aboot this than I ever will, but I was under the impression that there isn't enough oxygen in the tank to allow combustion. Only instance I'm aware of in-tank vapor igniting from an electrical spark is on 747 Center Tanks (TWA 800 1997). /sarc.

Probably a dozen times over about 20 years. No explosions either.
The TWA flight 800 report was a load of Donkey Dung. Jet fuel needs to be compressed or heated to a state that the vapors will ignite or reach the " flash point " state. In a wet winged aircraft like flight 800 they have transfer pumps that move fuel from section to to section within the wing as balast to balance the aircraft while in flight, and have triple redundancies so such a thing would not happen. Think about this, planes are struck by lighting all the time and the fuell cells don"t rupture and explode. My opinion is the plane was hit by an RPG that was probably sold to Bin Laden while we were supporting his fight against the Soviets, and it was him just returning our weapon after we pulled out of Afganistan. Back to my point jet fuel is probably the most stable fuel we make, but also one of the most toxic to anyoine or thing exposed to it. Gasoline differant story, Actually its probably all the Ethanol in todays fuel that saved you and your car.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:33 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

it cant blow-up,theres too much fuel[gas] in there,even when near empty,,fuel pumps have been inside fuel tanks for 50 years,,when was the last time you heard of 1 blowing-up?
Old 02-25-2018, 11:49 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Most of the new fuel pumps are a turbine style now and do not require the pulse damper like the old gear-rotor style. They usually include a fuel grade piece of hose to replace the pulse damper, so don't be alarmed when you buy the new pump and here is no pulse damper. You MIGHT on the other hand have to fab up a pickup sock or screen.
Just a heads up on what to expect.

Get notified of new replies

To No Start Problem WARNING

Quick Reply: No Start Problem WARNING