Grabbed another C4

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:47 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by daverulz
A blue tag in a 92, guess that means someone replaced the transmission...

My vote is also for converting your yellow car to stick, bringing over whatever parts on this car are better and then parting the rest. You'll probably come close to breaking even and your nice car will be nicer at a fraction of what the parts would have cost individually.
Hrmm.. I made an assumption on the tag, I thought all LT1's were blue tag.. Now I need to look at it again lol.

So yesterday I put a 6 foot bar on a 5/8" socket and I couldn't rotate the motor with all 8 plugs out, so i'd say it's locked up hard. I looked the body over really well. No cracks, but it needs to be stripped completely, sanded, sealed, and repainted. Not just a re-spray. I'd estimate over 200 hours if I was doing it (perhaps less if it was a pro) to prep and paint it. This includes media blasting and repairing any rust/rot on steel parts.

It's a parts car. Just not worth it to restore. I think I'm gonna swap the ZF6 and Dana44 over to my '94, keep a few misc things as 'spares' and part out the rest.

Do people still do bumper swaps ? (I did one in 2006 and it was still popular) ?

If I can keep the trans/rear/etc and make my $1200 back on some other things I'll be happy.

I'm also half tempted to delaminate the body from the birdcage, stick a solid axle and a powerglide in it along with an 8.5 cage and make a vette-kart (Thanks for the idea Tom!) lol

Old 05-03-2018, 09:58 AM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

My understanding is that they were black tags 89 through 93 and some 94's (mine is one of them). Then blue tags from then on with the crash through shifter. Your 92 should have a black tag in it, so at the very least between the rear end and the transmission you've probably got 1500-2k in parts.

Like I said, I'd swap em into your yellow car. Vettes were meant to have stick.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:04 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

My understanding is that they were black tags 89 through 93 and some 94's (mine is one of them). Then blue tags from then on with the crash through shifter. Your 92 should have a black tag in it, so at the very least between the rear end and the transmission you've probably got 1500-2k in parts.

Like I said, I'd swap em into your yellow car. Vettes were meant to have stick.
Yeah I agree. I like my '94, but I miss shifting. I'll stick to automatics in the 9second NHRA stuff where it's more important to concentrate on not hitting the wall lol.

I'm keeping the most expensive parts, but heck, where can you get a complete ZF6 and Dana44 for $1200 ? I think I did good.

The only thing I wish was that my '94 was a ragtop.. But the only ragtop 92+ C4's I ever see for sale are colors I just couldn't live with.

Maybe in a few years when it's time for a re-paint I'll .. Do something stupid with the sawzall.

-- Joe
Old 05-03-2018, 10:11 AM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

There are places I'd rather have an automatic, but in most cases, with what I do with my cars a manual is more enjoyable.

I agree, the whole car was worth it for just those two parts. The fact of the matter is you can probably make your money back just on the little stuff off the car. How's the halo and rear tray trim? those parts command a premium because they always break.

Don't cut the roof off! That would be taking it a little too far
Old 05-03-2018, 10:18 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Great project. ZF6 should have a 3:45 rear gear
Old 05-03-2018, 12:35 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

There are places I'd rather have an automatic, but in most cases, with what I do with my cars a manual is more enjoyable.

I agree, the whole car was worth it for just those two parts. The fact of the matter is you can probably make your money back just on the little stuff off the car. How's the halo and rear tray trim? those parts command a premium because they always break.

Don't cut the roof off! That would be taking it a little too far
Good question. I should probably check mine too. I know a lot of my rear plastics are cracked where the screw holes are. Which I think is typical sun damage.

I wish the dash was the same, like the controls and buttons and such. They are in way better shape than my '94.

I read that a '92 with a ZF6 should be a 3.45 rear, so that would be nice.

-- Joe
Old 05-14-2018, 07:42 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

So what's the difference between a black tag and a blue tag on the transmission?
Old 05-14-2018, 10:09 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Raidmagic
So what's the difference between a black tag and a blue tag on the transmission?
Black tag are stronger, but make a little more noise.

I had a black tag in my last C4, with a single mass flywheel and it rattled a bit at idle.

-- Joe
Old 05-14-2018, 02:33 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthes
Black tag are stronger, but make a little more noise.

I had a black tag in my last C4, with a single mass flywheel and it rattled a bit at idle.

-- Joe
Thanks.

Also I vote for swapping your other car and turning this one into another Vette Kart
Old 11-03-2018, 11:46 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I ended up parting this out. I kept the trans, rear end, engine, steering column, pedals for my yellow C4.

Oddly enough, it was a blue tag zf6.

So maybe the original trans blew up once. From what I could tell, it is an original 6 speed car though.

-- Joe
Old 11-04-2018, 11:41 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthes
I ended up parting this out. I kept the trans, rear end, engine, steering column, pedals for my yellow C4.<br /><br />Oddly enough, it was a blue tag zf6.<br /><br />So maybe the original trans blew up once. From what I could tell, it is an original 6 speed car though.<br /><br />-- Joe
<br /><br />did you dump the car then?

Last edited by pologreen1; 11-04-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:13 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pologreen1
<br /><br />did you dump the car then?
Sold the body/interior for $700 the other night.

So over the winter I'll be putting the ZF6 and dana 44 in my yellow '94. What I'm contemplating right now is if I should do anything else to the motor. I need to fix an oil leak (front seal maybe) and some other minor things.

-- Joe

Quick Reply: Grabbed another C4