Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

95 LT1 auto: ASR, am I doing it wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 12:44 PM
jayjones
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts
Default 95 LT1 auto: ASR, am I doing it wrong?

Sorry for the dumb question, but is there another system other than ASR that manages traction control? I can spin the tires from a stop if I turn off ASR, but not if I'm turning. The throttle shutdown still activates and doesn't allow the rear end to slide out. I can't tell if brakes are activating, but the throttle shut down is blatant. Is there some other button I'm supposed to push?
Old 05-10-2018, 01:38 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jayjones
Sorry for the dumb question, but is there another system other than ASR that manages traction control? I can spin the tires from a stop if I turn off ASR, but not if I'm turning. The throttle shutdown still activates and doesn't allow the rear end to slide out. I can't tell if brakes are activating, but the throttle shut down is blatant. Is there some other button I'm supposed to push?
The petal become hard the same way? Does the ASR light illuminate when ASR is off and your in a turn attempting to break loose?
Old 05-10-2018, 01:46 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Go to get a little wild, forget to disengage ASR, be like:

Name:  u8dZqOS.png
Views: 27
Size:  765.5 KB
Old 05-10-2018, 04:15 PM
jayjones
Racer

Originally Posted by AgentEran
The petal become hard the same way?
No the pedal doesn't get that resistance like when ASR is on. But the fuel gets cut or something for about half a second.

Originally Posted by AgentEran
Does the ASR light illuminate when ASR is off and your in a turn attempting to break loose?
Hmm not sure. I'll take a look at that tonight after work.

Last edited by jayjones; 05-10-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:33 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

the ASR is always turned on by default. once you push the button above the headlight switch the ASR will turn off and a light will show in the driver control center saying "ASR OFF" but even then a stock LT-1 with good tires will have a hard time spinning the tires on clean dry roads. if you have a manual you could dump the clutch at 4K and it should spin them or you could do with a auto too. but that is very hard on the drive line and is a good way to break something
Old 05-10-2018, 05:43 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
the ASR is always turned on by default. once you push the button above the headlight switch the ASR will turn off and a light will show in the driver control center saying "ASR OFF" but even then a stock LT-1 with good tires will have a hard time spinning the tires on clean dry roads. if you have a manual you could dump the clutch at 4K and it should spin them or you could do with a auto too. but that is very hard on the drive line and is a good way to break something
Im inclined to think this is whats happening too.. not enough power.. or TOWAK as Tom400 would put it.

But OP stated that he can peel out when the wheels are straight. Wouldn't it be easier to break the tires loose with the wheel turned?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:20 AM
jayjones
Racer

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
In my original post I said the asr is turned off at the switch. At my local track there is a tight turn that even a miata can get the *** to break lose. The c4 feels like traction control is kicking in at that turn, but i've turned off asr. I'm not trying to figure out how to do a donut in the walmart parking lot, just wondering if there is another system interfering in these conditions at the track.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:47 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jayjones
In my original post I said the asr is turned off at the switch. At my local track there is a tight turn that even a miata can get the *** to break lose. The c4 feels like traction control is kicking in at that turn, but i've turned off asr. I'm not trying to figure out how to do a donut in the walmart parking lot, just wondering if there is another system interfering in these conditions at the track.
I've raced spec miatas with the scca. Miata has less tire and less weight. The miata is extremely neutral right out of the box and once so you might be seeing a drift not a "*** broke loose" situation. In fact, while easy to drift a miata its somewhat difficult to get it to break loose the rear moreso than the front unless under 30 mph or so.

Some of this comes down to driver skill Im sorry to say with no disrespect intended. It took me a long time to understand vehicle dynamics and then use what I learned in a racing environment.

As drivers of a big v8 we need to really concentrate on your skills. We are secretly made fun of in miata circles if you arent able to keep up through the turns

I went though schools where large parking lots were coned off specifically to teach vehicle dynamics. Was really helpful.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:31 AM
fredk
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Whats your fuel level. happened to me when it was low.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:54 AM
novaks47
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 94 Posts

Very strange. I've got a '96 with an auto and the 3.07 rear end, and I can break 'em loose anywhere, just about anytime. Just yesterday when I was on the mountian road portion of my commute, I had ASR off, and had no trouble getting them to spin on corner-exit.

Last edited by novaks47; 05-11-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:12 AM
flannel_man
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Fuel tank low, pickup dry?
Old 05-11-2018, 09:26 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

sounds like fuel starvation to me, try with a full tank and see what happens. I have no problem spinning my 92 around.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:39 AM
thurman_merman
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fredk
Whats your fuel level. happened to me when it was low.
Originally Posted by flannel_man
Fuel tank low, pickup dry?
Originally Posted by kimmer
sounds like fuel starvation to me, try with a full tank and see what happens. I have no problem spinning my 92 around.
This is what I thought reading the first post. In my 91 anything under a half tank would starve the pump. There is an easy fix by using an octane booster bottle or something similar and cutting it to fit around the fuel pump assembly allowing the return line to fill the bottle. Search the forum, there are a couple of how to threads. I've had mine on the racetrack until the reserve light comes on and no starvation.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:39 PM
jayjones
Racer

Originally Posted by thurman_merman
This is what I thought reading the first post. In my 91 anything under a half tank would starve the pump. There is an easy fix by using an octane booster bottle or something similar and cutting it to fit around the fuel pump assembly allowing the return line to fill the bottle. Search the forum, there are a couple of how to threads. I've had mine on the racetrack until the reserve light comes on and no starvation.

Thanks guys the fuel was the problem. Fuel starved when turning at 1/4 tank. I feel like that discussion was shifting towards "Is my car powerful enough to slide the rear out" which was absolutely not my question. Filled the tank up this morning and the issue disappeared. Now to find that oil leak....

Last edited by jayjones; 05-11-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 LT1 auto: ASR, am I doing it wrong?

Quick Reply: 95 LT1 auto: ASR, am I doing it wrong?