Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How much $ part out car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:26 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Senior Forum members and above have an advantage when parting, because they can do it here.

But even so, if you page through the used section you will see part outs that have been going on, literally, for years.

And all that time it's just sitting there, looking bad. Seems like a PITA to me.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon318

It is a Z07 with under 60k miles so don’t think 8k is a stretch although you very well maybe right about the 8k being too much but it would be worth that or close to that as this car is really clean, you could or at least I would eat off the undercarriage as it’s mint under there.
You sound like my dad. His 99 F350 is immaculate. He has under 200k on the motor Well taken care of and the transmission is an excellent one with aluminum trans pan and rear end cover with nice aftermarket exhaust. Waxed and washing whenever it is dirty. Never seen snow. Wanting 20k or more. It's still sitting. Check what they have sold for or be one hell of a salesman and whip up the Corvette Fever in the buyer if you want more than it sells for
Old 05-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
..... What makes you think that parting this car out will be easier on your bad knee than fixing it ... You make it sound like a very clean 'vette ... it would be a shame to part it out ... and you expected someone to pay 5G's for a broken car ? ... 3G's for a roller that needs paint ... where are you getting your pricing from ?

I take it you have never driven a manual C4. The problem with my knee is not an issue working on my own car but with being in traffic and having to depress the clutch continually. I know I can’t get 5k for the car which is reason I’m asking what can I expect to get parting it out. I am not asking 3k for a roller I’m asking can I get 3k+ in parts after I remove engine for my truck.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

Originally Posted by aklim
You sound like my dad. His 99 F350 is immaculate. He has under 200k on the motor Well taken care of and the transmission is an excellent one with aluminum trans pan and rear end cover with nice aftermarket exhaust. Waxed and washing whenever it is dirty. Never seen snow. Wanting 20k or more. It's still sitting. Check what they have sold for or be one hell of a salesman and whip up the Corvette Fever in the buyer if you want more than it sells for
gotcha I’m being stupid thinking 8k with trans fixed, but wow your dad a complete dumbass think 20k for a 200k mile ford truck.

so maybe 6k at most with trans fixed?

Last edited by Dragon318; 05-14-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Add new est.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:14 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

With those posting 8k is ridiculous amount for car fixed I’m starting think parting out most logical thing to do. Thanks for all the replies as really thinkn I’m stupid thinking get any return selling fixed.

so how’s these estimates for what I could get for these parts? Any items I’m missing?

2000 Engine

400 Springs/sway bars Shocks

50 Ecm with memcal

50 Ccm 60k miles

50 Radio and speakers + misc

250 Trans/ clutch pedal /shifter/trim

750 Dana 44 3.54 ratio

50 Glass targa

150 Solid top targa

100 All other trim pieces

100 Door panels

50 Steering column has play

100 2 9.5 sawblades no rash l/r

100 Engine harness

150 Front brakes

100 Side panels (3) 2 left side

50 Front plate cover

150 Non sport seats leather

350 Corbeau seats and brackets

Any of these amounts out of line? Asking too much or too little? This is not a for sale post these numbers just trying add up what would get if part out. All input welcome even pointing out my stupidity.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:15 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

6k? Probably close.. Maybe a little high, depending. I haven't seen yours.

Paint is a big deal on a Corvette.

They're horribly expensive to have painted and, as you may have noticed, (Because they all wind up here to post and ask questions.) seem to attract people with little mechanical skill who place emphasis on finding a cherry example.

If you look through the used section there are part outs all over the place. If you look at yours with a critical eye, and look at what things go for in those threads, it should give you a ballpark $$$ amount.

Last edited by confab; 05-14-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:34 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

With those posting 8k is ridiculous amount for car fixed I’m starting think parting out most logical thing to do. Thanks for all the replies as really thinkn I’m stupid thinking get any return selling fixed.

so how’s these estimates for what I could get for these parts? Any items I’m missing?

2000 Engine

400 Springs/sway bars Shocks

50 Ecm with memcal

50 Ccm 60k miles

50 Radio and speakers + misc

250 Trans/ clutch pedal /shifter/trim

750 Dana 44 3.54 ratio

50 Glass targa

150 Solid top targa

100 All other trim pieces

100 Door panels

50 Steering column has play

100 2 9.5 sawblades no rash l/r

100 Engine harness

150 Front brakes

100 Side panels (3) 2 left side

50 Front plate cover

150 Non sport seats leather

350 Corbeau seats and brackets

Any of these amounts out of line? Asking too much or too little? This is not a for sale post these numbers just trying add up what would get if part out. All input welcome even pointing out my stupidity.

PM sent.

Last edited by pologreen1; 05-14-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:42 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

Originally Posted by pologreen1
PM sent.
no no no, this is not a for sale thread. I won’t be ready to part out for another month or so. Please hold any comments as such as will post in for sale section if allowed when ready part out.
  • I just want know are these estimates of parts in above post accurate for quick sale?

Last edited by Dragon318; 05-14-2018 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-14-2018, 08:49 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

Originally Posted by confab
Senior Forum members and above have an advantage when parting, because they can do it here.
How do I become a senior forum member to be allowed to sell my car parts?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:50 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

How do I become a senior forum member to be allowed to sell my car parts?
Not sure? I never really paid attention and mine just went up?

I think it's based on time here and post count..

It is a good place to sell if you want to.

The specific rules (and there ARE some very specific rules) are posted in the used section..
Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Otherwise, there's ebay and such..
Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

no no no, this is not a for sale thread. I won’t be ready to part out for another month or so. Please hold any comments as such as will post in for sale section if allowed when ready part out.
  • I just want know are these estimates of parts in above post accurate for quick sale?
I get that, I addressed your question in a pm.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:57 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

FYI, from what I have seen, you are quite a bit light on the Dana 44 assembly. Most of them I have seen go for $1200.00 plus, when you include the batwing, c-beam etc. In fact, there have been complete assemblies, control arms, drive shafts, half shafts etc, listed in the $1800.00 range around the web lately. As far as your parts are concerned, it is the complete Dana 44 assembly that carries a good part of the value.

Sure people might want this little part and that little part, but from a performance view/standpoint, the engine isn't worth anything. The body parts are only worth it to someone when they break their car.

Earlier you had mentioned sticking in an auto. That is actually not a bad suggestion if you still want a C4 Vette.

Of course, except for the Dana 44, the rest is just my opinion. The junkyards around here want $1200.00 for the diff and batwing, not the rest of it. For C4 folks looking to convert to a Dana 44, it is the diff and batwing that are the hard parts to get, the c-beam can be redrilled and the driveshaft shortened if need be.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:07 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcook
FYI, from what I have seen, you are quite a bit light on the Dana 44 assembly. Most of them I have seen go for $1200.00 plus, when you include the batwing, c-beam etc. In fact, there have been complete assemblies, control arms, drive shafts, half shafts etc, listed in the $1800.00 range around the web lately. As far as your parts are concerned, it is the complete Dana 44 assembly that carries a good part of the value.

Sure people might want this little part and that little part, but from a performance view/standpoint, the engine isn't worth anything. The body parts are only worth it to someone when they break their car.

Earlier you had mentioned sticking in an auto. That is actually not a bad suggestion if you still want a C4 Vette.

Of course, except for the Dana 44, the rest is just my opinion. The junkyards around here want $1200.00 for the diff and batwing, not the rest of it. For C4 folks looking to convert to a Dana 44, it is the diff and batwing that are the hard parts to get, the c-beam can be redrilled and the driveshaft shortened if need be.
I’m keeping complete engine other than maybe accessories which I value at 2k. It makes sense maybe put automatic trans in it. Right now my options are part out or make auto. ...but parting out probably as also have really nice truck as toy vehicle and don’t need two toys. Thanks everyone for input even if it’s info don’t think good just writing all this here and listening to feedback giving me lots of insight.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I take it you have never driven a manual C4. The problem with my knee is not an issue working on my own car but with being in traffic and having to depress the clutch continually. I know I can’t get 5k for the car which is reason I’m asking what can I expect to get parting it out. I am not asking 3k for a roller I’m asking can I get 3k+ in parts after I remove engine for my truck.
What would you have left if you remove the trans? A maybe ok D44? The rest would take work, aka $$ to remove so either you do it and sit on the parts till they sell or pay someone to consign them, again $$ so how long are you willing to wait for the money? Like I said before, get the cheapest repair and sell the whole thing for a fast move. Break it down slowly if you want to get your $3000 if you don't care how long it takes.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

gotcha I’m being stupid thinking 8k with trans fixed, but wow your dad a complete dumbass think 20k for a 200k mile ford truck.

so maybe 6k at most with trans fixed?[/left]
Here is his math. New diesel dually with similar options, $60K. His truck looks almost as good and his mileage with a diesel means the engine is "just broken in"and everything is well maintained or better aftermarket. It looks good so in his mind, it is a steal. It would be the proverbial sin to use that truck as a hauling truck since it would dirty the spray in bedliner and probably mess up the wax he has been putting on. So, it would only be sold to someone who thinks like he does and use that truck GENTLY and admirers how shiny the body is and clean the underside is. He's 80 years old so he is used to the idea that you keep the thing forever and that mindset won't change. You know what they say about teaching old dogs new tricks.

Have you researched what they have SOLD for IN YOUR AREA?
Old 05-14-2018, 11:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

What is your time worth to part them out and you also forgot to factor in the percentage you might have to pay to eBay.

Assuming the D44 is in good shape and not cracked, I'd definitely have paid more than $750 if I was local to you.

Get notified of new replies

To How much $ part out car?

Old 05-14-2018, 11:15 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I’m keeping complete engine other than maybe accessories which I value at 2k.

It makes sense maybe put automatic trans in it. Right now my options are part out or make auto. ...but parting out probably as also have really nice truck as toy vehicle and don’t need two toys. Thanks everyone for input even if it’s info don’t think good just writing all this here and listening to feedback giving me lots of insight.[/left]
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Chevro...p2047675.l2557

I think you might be right. Make it auto.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:18 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

Originally Posted by aklim
What would you have left if you remove the trans? A maybe ok D44? The rest would take work, aka $$ to remove so either you do it and sit on the parts till they sell or pay someone to consign them, again $$ so how long are you willing to wait for the money? Like I said before, get the cheapest repair and sell the whole thing for a fast move. Break it down slowly if you want to get your $3000 if you don't care how long it takes.
It cost me nothing to take parts off car. I have all tools needed even engine hoist. I already broke parts down in post above and with someone suggesting can get over 1000 for just Dana 44 assy. So I’m 95% gonna part her out. Probably start posting some items next week classifieds here and on FB groups.

Last edited by Dragon318; 05-14-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-14-2018, 11:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

It cost me nothing to take parts off car. I have all tools needed even engine hoist.

I already broke parts down in post above and with someone suggesting can get over 1000 for just Dana 44 assy. So I’m 95% gonna part her out. Probably start posting some items next week classifieds here and on FB groups.
As someone suggested, if your TIME is worth under $10 and you are willing to let stuff sit for a couple years till it sells, IF it sells, sure. You'd spend time taking it off CAREFULLY so you break as little as possible, clean it up, take pictures, answer questions and ship it out. Hopefully you mark it so you can be sure that I don't buy it and claim "It was broke" or the electronics didn't work (after they trialed installed it), etc. A wetsuit I sold was said to "Not be as good as the picture" and I was so eager to get rid of it finally, I split the cost with the buyer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-1996-C...AAAOSwE7Jac1r-

Quick Reply: How much $ part out car?