C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How much $ part out car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:04 AM
Dragon318
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
As someone suggested, if your TIME is worth under $10 and you are willing to let stuff sit for a couple years till it sells, IF it sells, sure. You'd spend time taking it off CAREFULLY so you break as little as possible, clean it up, take pictures, answer questions and ship it out. Hopefully you mark it so you can be sure that I don't buy it and claim "It was broke" or the electronics didn't work (after they trialed installed it), etc. A wetsuit I sold was said to "Not be as good as the picture" and I was so eager to get rid of it finally, I split the cost with the buyer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-1996-C...AAAOSwE7Jac1r-
Yeah I know all about eBay and how it sucks. I’ve sold over 2k in mustang parts from friends car he cut up. So I know what it takes, and my much younger live in girlfriend is a stripper and she’s down to learn how to work on cars. What better way to teach her than taking apart a corvette . I also have a very good use for the engine as it’s in excellent shape so really only need 3k for parts which if I get 1200+ for the Dana 44 is very doable. I still have mustang parts, t5 trans, tubular kmember, irs out of 03 cobra, black coupe sail panels, manual rack, billet tie rod ends, 5.0 engine, etc. I don’t mind sitting on parts that don’t sell have plenty space. My question again which still hasn’t been completely answered tho is how much are people getting parting out a c4?
Old 05-15-2018, 12:15 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon318
Yeah I know all about eBay and how it sucks. I’ve sold over 2k in mustang parts from friends car he cut up. So I know what it takes,

and my much younger live in girlfriend is a stripper

I also have a very good use for the engine as it’s in excellent shape so really only need 3k for parts which if I get 1200+ for the Dana 44 is very doable. I still have mustang parts, t5 trans, tubular kmember, irs out of 03 cobra, black coupe sail panels, manual rack, billet tie rod ends, 5.0 engine, etc. I don’t mind sitting on parts that don’t sell have plenty space. My question again which still hasn’t been completely answered tho is how much are people getting parting out a c4?[/left]
I have been trying to get my mechanic to take my W210 and part it out. Till then, it is my "Take the dogs to the park for a run" vehicle.

OK. You can't say things like that here without me asking for some naughty pics.

I don't think your prices are out of line ASSUMING they come out in good shape and not beat all to hell. PRobably more if you can get more modules out, dash, DIC, CCM, ABS module, FX3 module, if you have it, etc. ABS Sensors if they are in good condition could net a hundred more. Airbag might be worth a few bucks as might the Airbag stuff.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:16 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

It cost me nothing to take parts off car. I have all tools needed even engine hoist. I already broke parts down in post above and with someone suggesting can get over 1000 for just Dana 44 assy. So I’m 95% gonna part her out. Probably start posting some items next week classifieds here and on FB groups.
Seeing Dana 44's for 1,800 doesn't mean they sell for that. Do yourself a favor and just go look at eBay at *sold* listings and see what things are trading hands for.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:18 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Seeing Dana 44's for 1,800 doesn't mean they sell for that. Do yourself a favor and just go look at eBay at *sold* listings and see what things are trading hands for.
$1100 plus shipping was the last one but it is 3.07 and if he has a 3.54, I'd go to $1200 assuming the clutches are good and nothing is bad in the system like cracks or the gear is showing abnormal wear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173149339129?rmvSB=true
Old 05-15-2018, 02:16 AM
Dragon318
Instructor

OK. You can't say things like that here without me asking for some naughty pics.

Pm sent
Old 05-15-2018, 08:04 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Hey, uh.. for scientific purposes, can..
Old 05-15-2018, 08:07 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by confab
Hey, uh.. for scientific purposes, can..
More accurately, astronomy Study of the heavenly bodies. FBI. Female Body Inspector.

Last edited by aklim; 05-15-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:48 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

such as $1099.00 for just the differential and cover ? that was on the "sold" list of ebay.

there are complete ones out there on eBay for 1500 to 1800. eventually a hot rod project will need a rear end and they will get sold for that. there is a guy local to me that buys up and strips the suspensions from C4's for hot rod projects, he parts the rest out.

it is the law of supply and demand. the OP has one and other people want it. just like the ones on eBay. if you build your car to the point you need a Dana 44, you will end up paying for one.

it is not like he has to give it away. take it out, stick it in the corner, unlike the rest of the stuff, someone eventually will want it.

the other parts that should get taken out is cutting out the tunnel and the pedal assemblies. while in the immediate future they might not sell, eventually another person could want to turn their car into a stick.

there were folks at Carlisle last year selling the whole thing, rearend, trans, tunnel, pedals etc.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:28 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

which still hasn’t been completely answered tho is how much are people getting parting out a c4?
Not nearly enough to make it worth your time trust me on this. Those days are long gone, even the C5 guys are frustrated parting them.
Cheap cars mean cheap pain the azz buyers. Higher end stuff is a little better.

If you got a part listed for $20, costs $10 or 15 to ship, endless emails timewasters youre not making a damn thing youre losing money.
Engine rearend few parts will go fast, then you got a hulk sitting around. Just being honest

Got acouple nice sets of heads and intakes Im practically giving away been listed for months now not 1 inquiry. Yrs ago different story.
Ill never try to sell any vette parts again.

Last edited by cv67; 05-16-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:50 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

5-600 quick sale is more like it. If you can get 1000 more power to ya.
Thing is, wil they pay freight, is there C4 fanatics in your area?
not discouraging you but you have to get paid for your time. Once the first few parts sell youll be pissed looking at that thing rotting in your yard. Iroc, mustang parts etc are cheap. Copart and shipping costs f it all up.

I have been trying to get my mechanic to take my W210 and part it out.
Haha. Those cars are so cheap its not funny. Almost jumped on a 1 owner 93k mi 02 E430 primo for 1800. Talk about bang for the buck, but once something goes wrong you throw them away. Those trans conductor plates will go bad over and over. $$$$
If my other half wouldnt have split leaving me in a $$ lurch Id have bought it.

They are kinda like C4s, either A1 or ragged out with 20 trouble codes.
Guys that have a proper one get the money.

Last edited by cv67; 05-16-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Engine rearend few parts will go fast, then you got a hulk sitting around. Just being honest

Got acouple nice sets of heads and intakes Im practically giving away been listed for months now not 1 inquiry. Yrs ago different story.
Ill never try to sell any vette parts again.
The word is doorstop or boat anchor. But if he's got the space and is willing to budget 3 to 5 years before he tosses it, maybe. If it rolls, maybe some scrap yard might haul it away for a few hundred.

He wants to keep the engine, the trans has a 2nd gear issue, IIRC. Rear end isn't checked but if good, sure. If cracked like mine was, paperweight.

Last edited by aklim; 05-16-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:21 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Talk about bang for the buck, but once something goes wrong you throw them away. Those trans conductor plates will go bad over and over. $$$$
If my other half wouldnt have split leaving me in a $$ lurch Id have bought it.

They are kinda like C4s, either A1 or ragged out with 20 trouble codes.
Guys that have a proper one get the money.
Not sure. I have the original 722.6 trans and it hasn't failed yet in 480K

Mine isn't worth fixing. AC is dead and that is a deal breaker so not a daily driver for me. Radio is dead, not too bad. Sunroof is dead so I can't flip people off. Thing is, it is only good for taking the dogs to the park. NFW would anyone give me any money for it so it is worth more to me, with the bad body and rotten exhaust than the couple hundred I could possibly get for it. If my mechanic would even consent to part it out, I'd have given him a generous share of the proceeds. That or he takes it and removes the motor and trans and has someone tow the rest to the scrap yard.

Last edited by aklim; 05-16-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:34 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

If you got a part listed for $20, costs $10 or 15 to ship
Right, so would charge $15 to $20 shipping and handling. It’s not really that hard to sell, all the mustang parts I’m sitting on haven’t tried to sell yet. Until recently the cobra irs were readily available, not so much now.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

If it rolls, maybe some scrap yard might haul it away for a few hundred.
Not paying to have hauled away, $50 in sawzall blades and $20 rent trailer sell steel for scrap. There’s still places near me buy scrap steel.

Last edited by Dragon318; 05-16-2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

Rear end isn't checked but if good, sure. If cracked like mine was, paperweight.
Rear end is in excellent shape, car still drives.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:24 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Right, so would charge $15 to $20 shipping and handling. It’s not really that hard to sell, all the mustang parts I’m sitting on haven’t tried to sell yet. Until recently the cobra irs were readily available, not so much now.
ASSUMING they are willing to pay what you are asking, sure
Old 05-16-2018, 09:28 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Not paying to have hauled away, $50 in sawzall blades and $20 rent trailer sell steel for scrap. There’s still places near me buy scrap steel.
We had a car break down downtown and we called them to haul it away. They wanted a few bucks. I suspect they knew we were over a barrel so that might be it. I'd definitely ask first.

Get notified of new replies

To How much $ part out car?

Old 05-16-2018, 09:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Rear end is in excellent shape, car still drives.
So was the one I bought. Unfortunately when I sent it to Tom's differentials, they found a small crack and I had to try get my money back.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:31 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

We had a car break down downtown and we called them to haul it away. They wanted a few bucks. I suspect they knew we were over a barrel so that might be it. I'd definitely ask first.
thera a place here victory wreckers that I’ve gotten money for cars be hauled away and they pay but car has to have engine and drivetrain and I’m keeping motor and rear diff and all. I got places lined up to sell scrap but probably just give it away as there’s many junk guys drive thru my neighborhood and take all the scrap metal I give em.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:33 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

So was the one I bought. Unfortunately when I sent it to Tom's differentials, they found a small crack and I had to try get my money back.
cars got less than 60k miles diff. case is fine no cracks like I said car is drivable and no leaks. Why didn’t you just tig where cracked tho?

Quick Reply: How much $ part out car?