C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Died after new fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 06:30 PM
marrober9
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Died after new fuel pump

I have an 86 vette that I put a new fuel pump in. It ran great for the first day. Then while I was driving it started to lose power. It died on me and now it will not restart. Anybody have any ideas what may be wrong?

Last edited by marrober9; 06-15-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:32 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by marrober9
I have an 86 vette that I put a new fuel pump in. It ran great for the first day. Then while I was driving it started to lose power. It died on me and now it will not restart. Anybody have any ideas what may be wrong?
Why did you change?
Old 06-15-2018, 09:26 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Fuel pumps fail. Sorry. You need to pull a pressure reading from the fuel rail at the schrader valve. If you have no pressure, you have your answer.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by marrober9
By "restart", do you mean it is cranking but won't catch? If so, check the fuel pressure, spark and injector pulse.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:29 PM
jsmcol
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts

I just posted a new thread because the same thing happened to me, it turned out to be the ignition coil. Was running fine and just stopped and would not restart. I don't know that this issue throws a code though, they found it putting it on a diagnostic machine after I had it towed in.

Good luck, sucks to break down while driving...
Old 06-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jsmcol
I just posted a new thread because the same thing happened to me, it turned out to be the ignition coil. Was running fine and just stopped and would not restart. I don't know that this issue throws a code though, they found it putting it on a diagnostic machine after I had it towed in.

Good luck, sucks to break down while driving...
You changed the fuel pump and it quit?
Old 06-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Fuel pumps fail. Sorry. You need to pull a pressure reading from the fuel rail at the schrader valve. If you have no pressure, you have your answer.

OP: Statistics text books, in the chapter(s) on "MTBF" (Mean Time Before Failure), talk about "infant mortality" as being THEE most vulnerable period in a device's lifespan for failure. It happens more often than you might think.

Bill is right. Do a pressure test at the fuel rail and CONFIRM whether the pump is working, or perhaps discover that something else is failing...like the COIL, as suggested. But, do yourself a favor and DON'T just start "changing stuff until the problem goes away". Ya ALWAYS, ALWAYS should verify a failure if possible. Otherwise, by flooding the problem with assorted new parts, your chances for "infant morality" doubles and triples with the addition of new parts, and that's a FACT.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:30 PM
jsmcol
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
You changed the fuel pump and it quit?
No, in my case, I meant that the car died while I was driving it. I had not changed the fuel pump. When it happened, my initial thought was it could be the fuel pump because it would crank but not start. Turned out to be the ignition coil.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:54 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jsmcol
No, in my case, I meant that the car died while I was driving it. I had not changed the fuel pump. When it happened, my initial thought was it could be the fuel pump because it would crank but not start. Turned out to be the ignition coil.
Same thing that the OP is talking about didn't happen to you

Get notified of new replies

To Died after new fuel pump

Quick Reply: Died after new fuel pump