C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'95 Aging Issues/Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Ruouthere
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default '95 Aging Issues/Concerns

Looking at a '95 convertible with 58K miles on her, trying to understand what aging concerns I should be aware of if we purchased her. With the car 23 years old it will need attention...for something big or just normal routine maintenance? Not talking about weather stripping or upholstery, carpet but mechanical.

Trying to do a trade-off, buy this '95 C4 at a good price and have money in my pocket for replacement parts as needed or buy a very low mileage 2000 C5 at a much high price.

I'm new to all this and looking to buy my first Vette at 60+ for enjoyment with my wife.

Thank-you,
Old 07-10-2018, 12:54 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruouthere
Looking at a '95 convertible with 58K miles on her, trying to understand what aging concerns I should be aware of if we purchased her. With the car 23 years old it will need attention...for something big or just normal routine maintenance? Not talking about weather stripping or upholstery, carpet but mechanical.

Trying to do a trade-off, buy this '95 C4 at a good price and have money in my pocket for replacement parts as needed or buy a very low mileage 2000 C5 at a much high price.

I'm new to all this and looking to buy my first Vette at 60+ for enjoyment with my wife.

Thank-you,
Bose system
Old 07-10-2018, 01:04 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Get a C5 they are great road cars, 2004 if possible.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:22 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

The overall drivetrain on a 95 is pretty solid. They aren’t known for any major mechanical issues. If you search around you’ll find horror stories about the distributor (optispark) used from 92-96 but the frequency of actual optispark failures is highly exaggerated. Of course they all have age related problems like you mentioned with rubber bits such as weatherstripping and bushings deteriorating and some of the interior plastic gets brittle, and perhaps some electronic gremlins here and there. The bose stereo system is a common failure point, but that’s not mechanical and certainly won’t effect driving it at all. One thing to consider on the convertible though especially for road trips is luggage space. The C4 vert doesn’t have a traditional trunk and is very limited on space in the back. The C5 vert is a big improvement in this area with an actual usable trunk.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:40 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Always try to look at the underside up on a rack, even if you have to pay someone a token amount to put it up. especially look at the frame under the battery as a leaking battery could damage the frame BAD in a critical area.

C4 Corvettes are uni-body cars, so you do have to look for rust on the frame.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:27 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

A 2000 C5 is 18-19 years old and can is no more immune to issues that older cars can face that the C4. The optispark and adjustable suspension and heater core are a few of the known issues that can get pricey. i believe the 95 had the vented opti which supposedly helped with some of the moisture related issues

C5s have their own known issues and with more electronics than the C4. as they age they might become much more of a headache to own than a C4

good luck
The following users liked this post:
ETM (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 06:11 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

A little easier to find C5 parts. I stopped by my dealer today and he said that they weren't going to service anything over 20 years old. Something to consider.

Last edited by RIC96; 07-10-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Ruouthere
Instructor

Thanks guys, all the input helps point us in the right direction, we're looking at (2) C5's tomorrow before the C4.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:27 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by RIC96
A little easier to find C5 parts. I stopped by my dealer today and he said that they weren't going to service anything over 20 years old. Something to consider.
I've never once had a problem finding parts. Why do you think it's hard?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:35 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

I haven’t been in a regular “dealer” for years. Can’t stomach paying $95 flat rate hour to a “parts changer” that knows less about the older cars than I do.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:33 AM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

Thank-you,
I purchased a 1995 convertible about 2 years ago with 58K miles. I will share my experience so far and I hope it helps lead you in the right direction. The biggest issue you will run into on any C4 at 60+ years old is getting in and out of the car. My wife and I are in our early 50's and my wife really struggles getting in and out of our '95. Luckily I anticipated this issue and we have other fun cars so we just take another car when we are heading together for a weekend or evening drive.

Another big issue with the C4 convertible is storage space. It is a major issue if you plan on using the car for overnight to long trips. I mostly take the car out to shows and meet up with friends and even though I am driving by myself it has been a issue at times just bringing stuff like fold up chairs and smaller coolers etc. just for day outings.

As far as mechanically the '95 is pretty solid but again you are talking about a 23 year old car. If the intake manifold gasket has not been replaced yet you can plan on getting that done as they tend to leak and mine at 58K was seeping. You will want to check the steering wheel column for play because not uncommon for drivers getting in and out of the car to use the steering wheel for leverage and this can damage the lower joint in the steering column causing excessive play. Mine is tight so not an issue but something to check.

I really like my '95 vert and fits exactly what I was looking for but if I were in my 60's I would be checking out the C5 vert because getting in and out is a breeze compared to the C4 and you actually have a trunk to put your stuff in. There are issues with any older car but I think you will find the C5 will be much easier to grow older with. I have heard that there are some computers/modules no longer available on the early C5's so something to be aware of.

As in any older car condition and proper maintenance are big factors in predicting how well your ownership experience will be. Do not I repeat do not underestimate the cost to bring a tired or poorly maintained example back to acceptable condition. Good luck with your search and let us know how it all plays out. I have no regrets joining the Corvette ownership family.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:21 AM
Ruouthere
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95tealconvert
I purchased a 1995 convertible about 2 years ago with 58K miles. I will share my experience so far and I hope it helps lead you in the right direction. The biggest issue you will run into on any C4 at 60+ years old is getting in and out of the car. My wife and I are in our early 50's and my wife really struggles getting in and out of our '95. Luckily I anticipated this issue and we have other fun cars so we just take another car when we are heading together for a weekend or evening drive.

Another big issue with the C4 convertible is storage space. It is a major issue if you plan on using the car for overnight to long trips. I mostly take the car out to shows and meet up with friends and even though I am driving by myself it has been a issue at times just bringing stuff like fold up chairs and smaller coolers etc. just for day outings.

As far as mechanically the '95 is pretty solid but again you are talking about a 23 year old car. If the intake manifold gasket has not been replaced yet you can plan on getting that done as they tend to leak and mine at 58K was seeping. You will want to check the steering wheel column for play because not uncommon for drivers getting in and out of the car to use the steering wheel for leverage and this can damage the lower joint in the steering column causing excessive play. Mine is tight so not an issue but something to check.

I really like my '95 vert and fits exactly what I was looking for but if I were in my 60's I would be checking out the C5 vert because getting in and out is a breeze compared to the C4 and you actually have a trunk to put your stuff in. There are issues with any older car but I think you will find the C5 will be much easier to grow older with. I have heard that there are some computers/modules no longer available on the early C5's so something to be aware of.

As in any older car condition and proper maintenance are big factors in predicting how well your ownership experience will be. Do not I repeat do not underestimate the cost to bring a tired or poorly maintained example back to acceptable condition. Good luck with your search and let us know how it all plays out. I have no regrets joining the Corvette ownership family.

Thank-you, great input on the lack of storage and difficulty getting in and out, it re-enforces some of the comments above. Whichever car we purchase (C4 or C5) our plan is to do a lot of touring together so some storage is important. We've been on the fence between the two models, we're going to focus only on the C5 now.

Again, thank-you!
Old 07-11-2018, 06:35 AM
Charsel
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank-you, great input on the lack of storage and difficulty getting in and out, it re-enforces some of the comments above. Whichever car we purchase (C4 or C5) our plan is to do a lot of touring together so some storage is important. We've been on the fence between the two models, we're going to focus only on the C5 now.

Again, thank-you!
Bought my C4 Conv 6spd with 88k last November. Replaceed water pump and opti same time, but pump was about due. Watch your LED. Batee is the place to get parts for LED, and if not handy at soldering (my small motor reflex is not good). easy to remove. I like the fact that you "wear" a C4. Using soft duffles to travel. Clean fuel system and throttle body, mileage and performance will improve.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:43 AM
FWC
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15-'16,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Just another thought on the storage. Since a C4 vert has almost none that was ruled out plus we wanted a newer model. So when I was looking for a newer vette a few years back I did some homework at Carlisle, because I really wanted a vert. Everyone was great and all said the vert had room just not as much as a coupe and this was important because along with driving it as much as we can we take it on vacation. Three times to Myrtle Beach last year with 2 beach chairs, coolers, clothes, shoes, my golf clubs and the ability to reach back into the storage area while traveling. Did I sacrifice using a vert all the time for a handful of trips , yes but it works for me. Do I still want a vert , yes and I will get one in a few years and hopefully I will no longer be living in this god awful state. Btw I ended up with an 09 because I really don't like the C5 after driving a few.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:03 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

at 60+ getting in and out will be a pain. reliability is pretty solid with these cars. the SBC (small block chevy) is bullet proof. only thing that may go wrong is the optispark. replace it and youre golden.

edit: once in the car its pretty comfy
Old 07-11-2018, 03:01 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Youll know what you want once you drive it. Both cars are good, have their + and -
Your other half will probably like the interior and ride of the C5 better. Personally like the interior (except the seats ) way more.
Ck that C5 for any codes before hand or have someone you know plug into it. If thier electronics werent so complex Id have one as a DD/beater..the lsx engines are pretty robust, probably never have to touch it.
180k on mine never had the valve covers off.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:55 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I've never once had a problem finding parts. Why do you think it's hard?
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I read that original GM opti's weren't available anymore.

Get notified of new replies

To '95 Aging Issues/Concerns

Old 07-11-2018, 04:11 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I read that original GM opti's weren't available anymore.
go with the better MSD optispark
Old 07-11-2018, 09:49 PM
Newtomevette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

From everything I've read the C5 has more power more room, easier to get into etc.. My budget was limited and in our area C5's were 12k with around 100k mileage. The day I bought my '94 coupe I was going to look at a '04 drop-top later in the day... never got to it. I liked the closer ties to the C3 as it seems each generation moves further away from the type of style I grew up with. The clam shell hood, revolving headlights leather seats, well you get the picture, it was love at first drive. Mine had never been modded, was $9k with 64k mileage, new tires garage kept. My local Chevy dealer replaced the lower front ball joints, starter, battery and oil pan gasket, nothing had to be special ordered or anything. At age 56 I'm still relatively limber but entry/exit is comical at best. Just offering some of my motivation if it helps any.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:19 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Buy the C5.....

Quick Reply: '95 Aging Issues/Concerns