C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1985 Corvette Brake Master replaced still Brake light on

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 01:05 PM
Bassman76
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Corvette Brake Master replaced still Brake light on

I had the Master Cylinder in the 85 replaced by my local Mechanic. I did this because the brakes went to the floor and when I opened up the Master Cylinder the rear reservoir was brown and muddy looking the front was fine. Figured this should be the first step.
Picked up the Vette and all seems fine but within 10 miles the brake light went on and the brakes were still holding well but now what I expected..They closed so I could not bring it back right away. Checked the new Master and the front reservoir was only half full..I topped it off and pumped the brakes then took it for a ride and no change. Looked under the car and around the new master and did not see any leaks....The fluid has not gone down at all..It has been 2 days and have driven the Vette about 30 miles just checking if ant further changes in the Brakes
Not sure what could be the issue ?Maybe air in the lines....I plan on bringing it back but want to get some feedback from the group here first.
Any Thoughts? My Mechanic is not a Vette mechanic but brakes are brakes...It wen thru inspection here in PA with no issues...
Thanks, Mike
Old 07-15-2018, 03:55 PM
J W Drew
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey Mike.
Go out and insure your parking brake handle is all the way down. Bet you will be surprised. Let me know.
JW
The following users liked this post:
Bassman76 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 06:09 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This part was the issue on my 90, not sure if your 85 has this part?

https://corvetteparts.com/item/brake...0-1994#details
Bassman76 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 06:09 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by J W Drew
Hey Mike.
Go out and insure your parking brake handle is all the way down. Bet you will be surprised. Let me know.
JW
on my 85, it fades in and out depending on how I hold my left leg against it.....just can't get it quite off.....
Bassman76 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:59 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassman76
I had the Master Cylinder in the 85 replaced by my local Mechanic. I did this because the brakes went to the floor and when I opened up the Master Cylinder the rear reservoir was brown and muddy looking the front was fine. Figured this should be the first step.
Picked up the Vette and all seems fine but within 10 miles the brake light went on and the brakes were still holding well but now what I expected..They closed so I could not bring it back right away. Checked the new Master and the front reservoir was only half full..I topped it off and pumped the brakes then took it for a ride and no change. Looked under the car and around the new master and did not see any leaks....The fluid has not gone down at all..It has been 2 days and have driven the Vette about 30 miles just checking if ant further changes in the Brakes
Not sure what could be the issue ?Maybe air in the lines....I plan on bringing it back but want to get some feedback from the group here first.
Any Thoughts? My Mechanic is not a Vette mechanic but brakes are brakes...It wen thru inspection here in PA with no issues...
Thanks, Mike
Hi Check the brake warning switch on side of the master cylinder, there is a brake bias spring that moves a piston if there is an imbalance.
I usually bleed the brakes with the switch removed, then refit the warning switch afterwards.
I think the spring loaded warning switch can jam the bias piston from returning to normal, unscrewing and refitting it should help. Check for any wet areas on the brake calipers or brake hoses.

Last edited by gerardvg; 07-15-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Bassman76 (07-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette Brake Master replaced still Brake light on

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette Brake Master replaced still Brake light on