Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Handling

Old 10-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Hammerhead69
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Handling

So my son & I took my ‘89 C4 to Deals Gap for the first time earlier today. There were a couple of tight curves that “snuck up” on me & I went in a little hot (or so it seemed to me) but the car went around them like it was on rails. Is the C4 known for its handling abilities?
Old 10-06-2018, 05:10 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead69
So my son & I took my ‘89 C4 to Deals Gap for the first time earlier today. There were a couple of tight curves that “snuck up” on me & I went in a little hot (or so it seemed to me) but the car went around them like it was on rails. Is the C4 known for its handling abilities?
Yes.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:12 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,920 Likes on 4,770 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Compared to he 63-82 suspension and tires the C4 is light years ahead. But compared to newer Vettes there’s a little left on the table. But compared to other 80’s early 90’s cars it’s one of the best
Old 10-06-2018, 08:24 PM
chevyman_ky
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been there a few times in my 85 great handing car
Old 10-06-2018, 08:27 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Is the question for real? "Is the C4 known for handling?"

IDK how someone could own one -someone who's old enough to have a son who owns one with him....and not know this.

Yes....the handling was legendary in the 80's, class dominating in racing, and record setting for street cars when it was introduced.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:42 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

IDK how someone could own one -someone who's old enough to have a son who owns one with him....and not know this.

Yes....the handling was legendary in the 80's, class dominating in racing, and record setting for street cars when it was introduced.

after I bought my 94 one of the first things I did was find off and on ramps or long sweeping turns to find the limits of the car/driver.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Hammerhead69
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

Its my first Corvette & the first time I've ever even remotely "pushed" it.Btw, my son is 12, he doesn't " co- own" it.

Last edited by Hammerhead69; 10-06-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Its my first Corvette & the first time I've ever even remotely "pushed" it.Btw, my son is 12, he doesn't " co- own" it.
drive anything from the 80's on back and then drive your C4 you realize how fair GM came
Old 10-06-2018, 09:01 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

O.K. I got you. You're younger then....too young to be around or "paying attention to cars" when the C4 was out. Yes, the handling for the time was ground breaking.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:07 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

LOL, he had a valid question.

I get your point, but my question is why did you buy a vette, especially that one? If I don't know the back ground of a car it makes it hard for me to buy something if I know nothing about.

Wait until you find out out how good the new ones are... You are F'D!!

On a serious note, it seems you are very naive to the car. Be ready for car shops to rip you off, and be totally screwed when it breaks. I would say start researching.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:54 PM
Hammerhead69
Drifting

Originally Posted by pologreen1
LOL, he had a valid question.

I get your point, but my question is why did you buy a vette, especially that one? If I don't know the back ground of a car it makes it hard for me to buy something if I know nothing about.

Wait until you find out out how good the new ones are... You are F'D!!

On a serious note, it seems you are very naive to the car. Be ready for car shops to rip you off, and be totally screwed when it breaks. I would say start researching.
I bought a Corvette because I’ve always wanted one.

I bought “that one” because I was initially looking for a C3 but I found the C4 to give better bang for the buck. Most C3s in my price range were in marginal to poor condition while the C4s in the same price range were much nicer.

I do most maintenance on all my cars & motorcycles myself so I don’t look to be ripped off too often.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:38 AM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought a Corvette because I’ve always wanted one.

I bought “that one” because I was initially looking for a C3 but I found the C4 to give better bang for the buck. Most C3s in my price range were in marginal to poor condition while the C4s in the same price range were much nicer.

I do most maintenance on all my cars & motorcycles myself so I don’t look to be ripped off too often.
Good call on the C4. Similar priced C3s are absolute turds. Last year I was seriously considering a C3 after buying my C4 and it was pretty disappointing. I wasn't looking for chrome bumpers or anything, I was trying to be realistic. Most of them looked nice but had lots of hidden costly issues. Maybe I should have expected this as they are a lot older. And in the northeast I have to seriously worry about frame rust that the C3s are really prone to. Not really a concern on a C4. Basically got to the point where I would rather buy another C4.

Also this:
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...being-too-good
Old 10-07-2018, 08:54 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

And in the northeast I have to seriously worry about frame rust that the C3s are really prone to.
As are the C2's, especially at the box in the rear kickup. Here in Ohio, people that have driven the cars in winter, or left them exposed to the elements risk having the frame break at that spot. Years ago when I had my 65, I spoke to another C2 owner in a parking lot. We discussed frames and he said his was broke there

BUT

the car was still drivable. He said he got a gap behind the doors, but that was OK. I remember this from the mid 80's and I still shake my head.

If buying a 2 or 3, you should always take an awl and press it into the frame there as a quick check before an inspection up on a rack.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:59 AM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

IIRC I read somewhere a while back that the C4 was the first car developed that could pull 1 G on the skid pad. Anyone know if that’s true?
Old 10-07-2018, 10:23 AM
rblakeney
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Roys92BlackRose
IIRC I read somewhere a while back that the C4 was the first car developed that could pull 1 G on the skid pad. Anyone know if that’s true?
That was the cornering target on the car when released and they did indeed reach it. But it made the 84 hard to live with. You will see various suspension changes throughout the model years that attempt to keep the 1g target but have the car ride more comfortably. This aspect of the C4 makes interesting reading from an engineering perspective if you are curious.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:20 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

SCCA banned it from competition because it beat everything else, so yes. My buddy bought a used 89 6spd back in 1992, I had never driven in one. I had driven in a number of C3's. He approached a circle/rotary (depending on where you live) and I was sure we were going over the curb and into the weeds, I even braced myself. The tires never made a peep, I became a C4 fan that day.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:24 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 623 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by pacoW
SCCA banned it from competition because it beat everything else, so yes. .......
In SCCA racing it won every race for 3 or 4 years. SCCA kicked them out and created the Corvette Challenge series for a few years where only Corvettes would compete with each other. After a few years they let Corvettes back into SCCA races and although they didn't win every race they won the championship for the season for (I think) 2 more years.

So yes it is a great handling car and was dominant in racing.

Get notified of new replies

To Handling

Old 10-07-2018, 06:08 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

the damn things handle like they are go- carts or on tracks. I love it. Back in the 60s, my brother had a 61. Talk about handleing like a boat. We (he) even turned it up on its side one day when we were riding around and he wanted to show off for some cheerleader.,
Old 10-16-2018, 01:36 PM
mfowler
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My 90 is the first Vette I have owned and I have been AMAZED at the handling capabilities! Full circle off ramps are the best. it almost feels like you have to hold the car out of the curve instead of into it. Having said that, a man has to know his driving limitations (and the cars) or that could be so damn messy! lol
Old 10-16-2018, 01:48 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Roys92BlackRose
Yep, that's a fact, 1st production car to pull 1 G lateral acceleration on the skid pad...it was groundbreaking...

D.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Handling