Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Thinking of getting back into a vette...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 06:36 PM
kingsey
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thinking of getting back into a vette...

I had a 1999 when I was a younger guy. Did a ton of mods to it. Long tubes, cam, 3.73 gears, etc

Times changed, looking to get back into a vette but this time around planned on keeping it stock.

Thinking about getting a grand sport coupe with the idea of keeping it stock ( possible to put a shorter throw shifter, easy to change back?). Black interior would be what I would aim for, red is more rare, but a little loud for my taste.

Not looking for something with 5k miles,but not looking for something with over 100k either just a Sunday cruiser to car shows. What's a realistic price on these? Do you see them going higher with time or staying the same? Lets say a car with between 35 and 65k miles.

Anything I should I look for? Was thinking with either buyavette.net or gatewaycassiccars.com.

Thanks for your input guys
Old 01-16-2019, 07:10 PM
Brooks94Z07
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Do it up brother!

I'm assuming since your posting this in the C4 section that your looking for a C4 (didnt see you mention that your looking to stay within a specific gen)

if your looking for a c4 GS...be ready to shell out a good amount of money. C4 GS is only going to rise in market value even from where it currently is. So much that it's on Hagertys magazine cover for best bull market buys for 2019...

Are you located in Atlanta ? Asking because you mentioned buyavette. I myself am located in Atlanta and I will tell you buyavette is great but is a little on the high side, you may be better off buying privately or CF classified boards. Gateway classic cars is stupidly overpriced for most Corvettes IMHO and really no need overpay at a consignment place like that when there is an abundance of c4 and on corvettes..

good luck on your search and welcome back to corvette !
Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Hagerty may be onto something but hard to say. They also had an old article from 2017 that pegged the C4 ZR-1 as on the cusp of becoming investment grade but prices are still in favor of buyers for sure. The Grand Sport is an excellent choice. Swan song of the C4 with all the best possible improvements. Buyavette has a GS but I think it’s pending sale.

Red interior versions command a premium anyway, so you’re saving yourself some $$$ buy going the black interior route.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:22 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

Real world prices for the c4 gs seems to be in the 30k range depending on miles, condition, and options.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:07 AM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Real world prices for the c4 gs seems to be in the 30k range depending on miles, condition, and options.
That's about right for my area too. A black interior GS at a lot near my house sold for 28K last week. If I remember right, it had around 40K miles on it.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:29 PM
kingsey
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 95LT1ZF
That's about right for my area too. A black interior GS at a lot near my house sold for 28K last week. If I remember right, it had around 40K miles on it.
I was hoping to be between 20-25k. So i hope im not too far off.​ What would be considered high miles for one? 70+?
​​​​
Old 01-17-2019, 12:50 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

I'd say that as far as a collector item, anything over 40k is a lot. The car itself is easily capable of a lot more miles than that.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:27 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
At those kind of prices why not go for for a ZR-1? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...22k-miles.html

Didn't think a GS was that kind of cost adder. At 40K you get into real upward potential C2s.

Last edited by colo63sw; 01-17-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:55 PM
kingsey
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by colo63sw
At those kind of prices why not go for for a ZR-1? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...22k-miles.html

Didn't think a GS was that kind of cost adder. At 40K you get into real upward potential C2s.
the zr1 engine worries me. Ive read over on that fourm. The idea for the GS was a rare car i can enjoy leave stock. And possibly not take a beating IF i were to resell it. Its not about 0-60 times. Its a pleasure car. Plus i love the way it looks.Wanting to stay under 25 grand price point.
40k for a fun car opens up a ton more options but its unrealistic for my budget.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:59 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by colo63sw

I wouldnt buy a zr1 over an lt4 car personally. I know a lot would, but I would rather the simpler car.

Truth be told, I wouldn't buy a 96 GS at 20k+. I would buy a 12kish lt4 car that wasnt a GS, or I would buy a newer (or older) car. I would love a chrome bunper c3, you can get those in the 20k ish range for the non number matching cars.

When I was last looking for a car, I was torn between a 96 gs and a c6 vs. I bought the c6 (for a LOT more money) because i knew i would feel bad driving it much. My 2012 gs has seen lapped sebring, runs mountain roads, does road trips, and everything in between. It may actually be rarer than a c4 gs due to its options, but I dont really care, I bought the car to enjoy. For me, knowing that i paid more for a car for its collector status would prevent me from enjoying it, because that value comes with restrictions.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of getting back into a vette...

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting back into a vette...