C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Training Center Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 11:32 AM
95darkredconvertible
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Training Center Corvette

I have a 1995 Convertible that I have owned for two years. I purchased a copy of the Build Sheet from the Corvette Museum. The Build Sheet provides a few interesting facts: the Charge to Code is 00105 - GM NAO Company Vehicle Operations, PO Box 1738 Warren, MI and the Ship to Code is 00705 GM Training Center #16 12400 Shawnee Mission Pky, Shawnee KS (my research shows that this training center closed in 1999). I contacted the GM Heritage Center and their search of the car's VIN # did not pull up any information from their database (not a common result but not impossible). They speculate the care may have been a company vehicle or maybe used for some type of testing but it is only speculation. The Build Sheet indicates the car was built in August, 1994 but CARFAx doesn't show a private owner until September 1995. Now I am even more curious about the history of the car. Can anyone provide any information or maybe suggest where I may look for information? .
Old 03-09-2019, 11:47 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

I would think that all the while the vehicle was used or assigned to the GMTC it would have remained on the original Certificate of Origin which doesn't change until the vehicle is actually sold at retail/wholesale. I wouldn't think a 1st PO in '95 to be unusual. Was mileage recorded on the 1st retail registration? I don't see anything unusual. Who mentioned it not being a common result? I'd think likely very common result for a vehicle assigned to a GMTC. Pure speculation on my part.
The following users liked this post:
95darkredconvertible (03-10-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 01:14 PM
95darkredconvertible
Advanced

The GM Heritage Center indicated that it is not common for a VIN # NOT to show up in their databases - they can't find any information on the car.. The mileage at the first retail registration does indicate a mileage of 2594 which does seem to confirm the car was used as a company car. Again, I am just curious about how the car was purchased.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:51 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

A possible GM Program vehicle. My Dad worked for FIsher Body in Grand Rapids, MI. He said that each facility would buy several loaded up vehicles each year for use by management and VIP visitors. They would then sell them at the end of the production year and buy more. When I bought my 65 vert in 66 he could not understand why. He said he had been a passenger in an earlier one during a visit to the Muncie, Indiana plant and it rode like a lumber truck.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:40 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

This is pretty interesting. I'm going to follow this thread!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:13 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
A possible GM Program vehicle. My Dad worked for FIsher Body in Grand Rapids, MI. He said that each facility would buy several loaded up vehicles each year for use by management and VIP visitors. They would then sell them at the end of the production year and buy more. When I bought my 65 vert in 66 he could not understand why. He said he had been a passenger in an earlier one during a visit to the Muncie, Indiana plant and it rode like a lumber truck.
I believe there's difference in what you call a 'PROGRAM' vehicle vs 'THIS' vehicle delivered to a Training Center. I'd think that a car delivered to a GMTC would remain on 'Certificate of Originality' until the first retail sale. The 2594 mileage seems appropriate for a 12 month or so visit to a GMTC. Many years ago it wasn't unusual to actually find 'low mile' any brand cars being offered available for sale on the 'Certificate of Originality' mentioning never titled. With all of the various changes in emissions and a '95 being 'Hybrid OBD1 & 2' a hand's on car at a GMTC would make sense. I'd think there was likely a few Buicks that were dropped to these GMTC for diagnostic training.

I would put little to NO FAITH in info from the Heritage Center pertaining to a specific VIN.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-10-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

You got the necessary information. Car was ordered and sent to a training center. It would be there for up to approximately a year. Instructors and staff would have access to cars to " evaluate" them possibly overnight not sure about weekends depending on manager. No incident no foul. You may find pin ****** or tiny plastic pin ***** boxes on wires. Engine management, C68, CCM, SIR maybe. They weren't big on major disassembly, cars were expected to be sold or go to another center. Delivery info makes sense.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:17 PM
95darkredconvertible
Advanced

Thank you everyone for your comments! I believe that you have "confirmed" what I was guessing - the car was either used as a company car or as a training vehicle prior to being sold to the public. I was (and still am) interested in founding out some of the history. This is my first Corvette but I have wanted one every since the late 60's! Again, thanks to all!

Get notified of new replies

To Training Center Corvette

Quick Reply: Training Center Corvette