1989 convertible price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:54 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
Tires = $1k.
Your estimate states $1000.00 divided by 4 tires = $250.00 a tire. What kind of tires are you pricing out? Excellent quality Firestone Firehawk tires can be had for about half your estimate.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:17 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I have an 89 vert and can quote prices on most of what that car needs.
Top - $1,500 installed, with a conversion to a glass rear window.
Tires - $600 installed, for a good set of all seasons.
Weatherstripping - The kist run from $500 to $1k, depending on what you need.
Headlight motors - ~$50 if they just need new "pellets".
The low coolant sensor is a common problem, new ones are cheap, but check the level in the radiator.
If the seats are shot that can get very expensive, as can the paintwork. As that car sits I would think anywhere from $2,500 on the low end to $4k if you are feeling very generous. If you just want a 20 footer that is fun to drive and can work on the car yourself I would go for it, but if you are going to pay someone to fix everything that is wrong with it then you will be upside down before you know it.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:36 AM
BostonCoral
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I have an 89 vert and can quote prices on most of what that car needs.
Top - $1,500 installed, with a conversion to a glass rear window.
Tires - $600 installed, for a good set of all seasons.
Weatherstripping - The kist run from $500 to $1k, depending on what you need.
Headlight motors - ~$50 if they just need new "pellets".
The low coolant sensor is a common problem, new ones are cheap, but check the level in the radiator.
If the seats are shot that can get very expensive, as can the paintwork. As that car sits I would think anywhere from $2,500 on the low end to $4k if you are feeling very generous. If you just want a 20 footer that is fun to drive and can work on the car yourself I would go for it, but if you are going to pay someone to fix everything that is wrong with it then you will be upside down before you know it.
Thank you for the pricing. I can do most stuff myself and kinda just want it to be a nice beater that is fun to drive and fun to work on. I own a boat detailing buisness so cleaning it up will be the easy part. The paint is 99 percent perfect. No dents or rust, just some minor scratches that will buff out. Im more or less worried about the convertible top costing an arm and a leg. I could swing 1500 but i have a feeling it might be more lol but if its 1500 or less thats cool. I highly doubt it would be less lol. 46k seems like its worth keeping. Not my favorite car design and i didnt really seek to buy one, but its there sitting wasting away and she wants to clear up some space on the property, so.....lol who knows i might just love the car after i start bring it back.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:41 AM
BostonCoral
Navigator

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I wouldnt even consider it by nature of whose car it is. No good can come from it. You offer her 4000 under her perceived value, you're a cheap ***. You fix it up and you took advantage of her. If it has more issues than you go into, it's going to cause resentment. If you dont take care of it, you will never hear the end of it.

Just don't do it. Nothing about the car, but the WHOLE SITUATION is a bad idea.
I appreciate your opinion. Im not looking to steal it or resell if for profit...just looking for a fair value on the car. 99 percent of who i ask say under 3,000. Not a very desirable car from what i can tell. I appreciate its history as Americas sports car and have had many muscle cars and classic cars. Never a vette, but hey i wouldn't mind tinkering w it and making it look good
Old 03-26-2019, 08:17 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Just be aware, people here always think these cars are worth less than they are. They price cars based on the cost to make them perfect, which isnt how cars are priced. That's why you don't make money on restoring cars unless someone pays you to do it.

Pull a KBB on it in faor condition. This sounds like it's fair to slightly better since it runs, everything works, and the paint is good.

If you're serious about getting the car, dont try to say "it's worth x", try to make the conversation about what you're comfortable paying. Trying to convince someone their car is worth 30% what they think it's worth is what craigslist buyers think they can do, and just doesnt work. You just push people off.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:55 AM
BostonCoral
Navigator

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Just be aware, people here always think these cars are worth less than they are. They price cars based on the cost to make them perfect, which isnt how cars are priced. That's why you don't make money on restoring cars unless someone pays you to do it.

Pull a KBB on it in faor condition. This sounds like it's fair to slightly better since it runs, everything works, and the paint is good.

If you're serious about getting the car, dont try to say "it's worth x", try to make the conversation about what you're comfortable paying. Trying to convince someone their car is worth 30% what they think it's worth is what craigslist buyers think they can do, and just doesnt work. You just push people off.
Thanks. Yes btw i was trying to get a kbb price, buti couldnt figure it out. It looks like they changed how the website works or maybe im doing something wrong? I remember it was a lot easier on kbb.com years ago..
Old 03-26-2019, 03:06 PM
Y-bodluvr
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

A few months ago I paid a little over $6k for an 89 vert with half the mileage in MINT condition new tires etc aside from some paint oxidation on the hood, a completely yellow back window, and running a little WEAK...
well after some wet sanding and buffing and and a complete tuneup which I both did myself car runs and looks GREAT now but I think I got a GREAT deal, look around though an 89 with similar mileage and in great shape needing nothing is probably worth about $10-11k so I don’t think $6500 is totally unfair for that car I think $5k would be great though especially since it looks like it needs new leather seats too?
Also, white vinyl plastic window tops are roughly $200 for these cars and a shop Ive had install a couple tops for me over the years is going to charge me $300 for the installation for mine so I think some of those prices quoted are

Last edited by Y-bodluvr; 03-26-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:43 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Your estimate states $1000.00 divided by 4 tires = $250.00 a tire. What kind of tires are you pricing out? Excellent quality Firestone Firehawk tires can be had for about half your estimate.
The tires on my 92 without last years discount (30% off) would have been $1,200 total.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:41 PM
Y-bodluvr
Racer

The tires on my 92 without last years discount (30% off) would have been $1,200 total.
You can find NEW 275/40/17 tires just about anywhere for $400 set
Old 03-26-2019, 08:43 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

What'd you get for that much? Sounds like you got ripped off...
Old 03-26-2019, 09:30 PM
Y-bodluvr
Racer

Originally Posted by BostonCoral
Couple hundred for the top? I was quotesld 2 to 3k for s new top. Its brilltle and dry rotted. The seats are another lg expense and tires almost $1000.
OP shop around like I said you can get a white vinyl top with plastic window which is exactly what the car had online for $209 shouldn’t cost you more than $500 to install I have gotten estimates from $300-$600 labor or you can take a stab at installing it yourself tires mounted and balanced should be under $500 so figure $1200 for BOTH top and tires

Last edited by Y-bodluvr; 03-26-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:25 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

I hope they put that "special" performance air in them for that price.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:53 AM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

OP, here is my suggestion on how to proceed on this deal. I would let her know that you will help her sell the car and be earnest in your help to do so.. I would list the car for what she thinks it is worth, in this case $6500.00 then I would list it for $6500.00 and see what happens. If the car sells for anywhere near what she thinks it is worth you will be her hero for helping her sell it. If on the other hand you get nowhere near an offer close to what she thinks it is worth than let her hear the low ball offers and then you can tell her you will pay her more than the lowest offer and you will still be her hero.

Perception is a funny thing. If she really feels this car is worth $6500.00 you owe it to her to see if she can get that or close to that amount. If she gets a few legit low ball offers she will know what the market will bear on this car and then you can decide if you want to pay over the low ball offer. At least she will respect that you helped her either way and will not feel like you took advantage of her.

My guess is the few people who will be willing to come out and look at the car will try and talk her way down on price but it is only fair to see what happens first before you make an offer.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:50 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My guess is that you would have >$3k w/o touching the engine/drive-train.

BTW, is it an A4 or MN6?
Old 03-27-2019, 08:55 AM
puterami
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 290 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (stock)

Not to beat you up about it, but just last month I bought Falken Raptors from Tirerack, had them delivered to a Firestone here and they mounted and lifetime balanced.
$500 total.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:09 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

I hope they put that "special" performance air in them for that price.
Goodyear Eagle® F1 GS-D3

https://www.goodyear.com/images/tire...1_GS_D3_56.jpg
Old 03-27-2019, 09:44 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Nice tires for sure. It all comes down to what you are happy with and what you felt comfortable spending on them. I personally would have never spent that much when so many other lesser price tire options are available. I would've wanted to smoke a cigarette after spending that much because I just got fauked. Just kidding.

Get notified of new replies

To 1989 convertible price?

Old 03-27-2019, 09:54 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Nice tires for sure. It all comes down to what you are happy with and what you felt comfortable spending on them. I personally would have never spent that much when so many other lesser price tire options are available. I would've wanted to smoke a cigarette after spending that much because I just got fauked. Just kidding.
Got into them for $900 total.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:15 AM
Y-bodluvr
Racer

Originally Posted by 65Z01
My guess is that you would have >$3k w/o touching the engine/drive-train.

BTW, is it an A4 or MN6?
Pic in post #2 shows it’s an A4, $3k isn’t a bad estimate but maybe closer to $2k if you go cheap on the tires and seats(leatherette) the car has pretty low miles for an 89’ so I would try and keep the car as original as possible and stick with original leather covers and maybe go cheap on the tires now to get the car road-worthy and maybe get a nice set of Goodyear’s on the next set...
Old 03-27-2019, 10:44 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

You should show her this thread.....then show her cars in the for sale section here. Most '89 in FS section will be in great condition and she should be able to get a realistic idea of a fair value

Quick Reply: 1989 convertible price?