C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Checked code cycled through and stayed on

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 06:36 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Checked code cycled through and stayed on

Was pulling codes for my fan running on initial start and high idle,pulled the 12 code,t it just stayed on after the first 3 12s..I disconnected the battery after and tried again same thing..scratching my....lmao but it starts, then after a little ride come home wants to start cranks strong but...
Old 04-07-2019, 11:21 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 85vegasvette
Was pulling codes for my fan running on initial start and high idle,pulled the 12 code,t it just stayed on after the first 3 12s..I disconnected the battery after and tried again same thing..scratching my....lmao but it starts, then after a little ride come home wants to start cranks strong but...
So...IOW, you have an intermittent "NO START"; turns over but will not run. When you checked the codes you got a "12" code, even after disconnecting the battery (to clear old code history). Now the "12 code" remains, the starter cranks the motor well, but the motor will not "fire". Is that what you're trying to say???

FUEL - AIR - SPARK! Begin with the basics...AND an FSM. IDK what a "12" code means for sure w/o a model year. But, due to the intermittent experience, just as a precaution, I'd want to do the simple routine thing and service the ground terminal lugs (as so often these elusive gremlins are rooted at those multi-lug ground terminals! (Always a good idea to coat the ground lugs with dielectric grease to ward off oxidation/corrosion.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:40 AM
85vegasvette
Racer

Yeah it's an 85, it starts when cold but after it warms up it will crank but nada, I'm thinking I got the wrong thermostat, code 12 is the check code before giving you actual codes, it went through the 12 and then stayed on, also on cold start the fan is on right away and high idle I can smell the rich fuel mixture..off to the races.. lol
Old 04-07-2019, 02:12 PM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

If the fan comes on at start, wouldn’t that mean the AC is on? Have you tried starting it with the HVAC off? Just thinking of the basics. Not sure why no hot start though.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:52 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

Okay I'd swear my ex wife cursed this car..lol, started up nice , fan still on, drive it around about 20-30 minutes, pulled in garage sat about 1/2 started right up no seat off and on all day,smells right h and the idle calmed down Abit, now I did replace the coolant sensor connector that crumbled when I was doing my Inectors , that had I start 2 black wires on one side and a pink wire in the other..I can't make this crap up..lol but that's where I'm at pulled the code got the 15th code and then the sees light stayed in, it didn't cycle though to the 12 completion code, but it starts...lol
Old 04-07-2019, 02:53 PM
85vegasvette
Racer

I did put a 196 degree thermostat in you know that while I'm there, I do recommend if you pull the duel rail by the gasket kits mine where very hard and the fuel line Ines where crumbing when removed

Get notified of new replies

To Checked code cycled through and stayed on

Quick Reply: Checked code cycled through and stayed on