CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 9 Likes on 9 Posts

go auto if a lot of city driving but I prefer 6 speed which is what I have
Old 04-14-2019, 11:16 AM
John A. Marker
CF Senior Member

Recieved 126 Likes on 112 Posts

My 85 was an automatic. Loved it. It was EVEN BETTER when I installed a 2400 stall converter. The only issue I had with the 700R transmission was that it seemed to have a life span of about 100,000 miles. My 95 is a 6 speed and enjoyed that for autocross. But for the 1/4 mile the auto is hard to beat. My C6 was a paddle shift auto and it was the best of both worlds. My C7 ZO6 is 7 speed manual and absolutely love it. 95-100 in third gear and 4 more to go! Sometimes a PITA in commute traffic at 5-10 MPH for 10-15 miles.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:04 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Recieved 788 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Man View Post
I'm looking at C4 Vettes and I noticed that most of them have Automatic Transmissions. Do they suck and are they not fun to drive/as fun? Should I take a chance with an Auto Corvette or should I keep looking until I find one with Stick Shift?
Serious question. Can you say for certain that you don't care what the other boys think of your car? If you cannot, don't buy an auto or you will be miserable when the other boys make fun of your "slush box", "dogamatic", etc, etc. BTDT with a couple of friends with "not true" sports cars who wish they had bought a stick shift, basically to please the other boys.

I guess, what is fun, assuming the above statement is true, really depends on you. Was it more fun for me to shift gears on a "real bike" or have a semi auto trans like the wife's Spyder? Your call. Whatever you do, it is pretty much permanent unless you are willing to make major changes and why bother? Might as well sell the thing and get something you want at that time.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:10 PM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

Recieved 342 Likes on 326 Posts

I had and A4 with the 2.59, I got impatient finding 6 speed. I wasn't very happy with it in town or in the mountains. IMO Corvettes should not have come with 2.59 at all. Now with a 3.73 much better overall performance, but turns more rpm than I would like highway. In Michigan 75-85 mph is the flow of traffic. If I was looking for a A4 I would look for a G92 / 3.07 performance axle car.
The following users liked this post:
Stepps (04-15-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 01:05 PM
mtwoolford
CF Senior Member

Recieved 124 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm looking at C4 Vettes and I noticed that most of them have Automatic Transmissions. Do they suck and are they not fun to drive/as fun? Should I take a chance with an Auto Corvette or should I keep looking until I find one with Stick Shift?
Keep looking; automatic are just "voodoo boxes"; also, with the up and coming generation of car thieves, a manual transmission has become an "anti theft" device.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:15 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Recieved 788 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford View Post
Keep looking; automatic are just "voodoo boxes"; also, with the up and coming generation of car thieves, a manual transmission has become an "anti theft" device.
Best Sunday Funnies I have seen yet. Anti Theft device.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz.../#21a82b1e5258
Old 04-14-2019, 02:26 PM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

Recieved 467 Likes on 394 Posts

It all depends on your use. For me, I like manuals. My earlier c6s were autos, I like them, but my c4 and current c6 are manuals and I prefer that. I enjoy rowing through the gears. If I was just cruising, an auto would be fine.

But that's not what you really asked. You asked us to justify you changing what you want. If you WANT a manual, then get a manual. You are probably noticing they are less common, and when you find them they're a bunch more money. It's the nature of the beast. But I can tell you this, if you settle for an auto and want a manual, it will notbsatosfy you and will cost you more when you eventually get the car you really wanted.

My advice is to save up, up your your budget up a bit more, and buy the car you really want.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:30 PM
fparkin
CF Member

Recieved 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I own a 84 covette auto because I get into bumper to bumper traffic and having a stick sucks been there done that
Old 04-14-2019, 05:28 PM
Cool Runnings
CF Senior Member

Recieved 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Standard axle sucks ..
Old 04-14-2019, 06:46 PM
pologreen1
CF Senior Member

Recieved 207 Likes on 198 Posts

Auto is auto.

Manual.=Experience

Auto with real shift kit, shift point change/ weight changes, high stall, low gears= Not too street friendly to most people=fun to some.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:17 PM
RetroGuy
CF Senior Member

Recieved 50 Likes on 43 Posts

First off, no late model C4 automatic sucks. With that said, I have a '96 automatic O/D LT1 and luv it. How else would I be able to cruise around, look cool, have fun, and enjoy sipping a hot latte in one hand while accelerating through the gears???

Last edited by RetroGuy; 04-14-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:47 AM
Stepps

Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Kevova, how do I know what gears are in my 94 coupe base? I looked at the original window sticker, the manual but don't see anything about the gears. Also forgive my ignorance but when you say 2.59 gears vs 3.07 are we talking tranny or rear gearing??? Did the 3.07 come stock as well? How much would it cost (approximately) to have my mechanic change to the 3.07s? What differences can I expect to feel if I change (pros AND cons)? Should I buy new or chance one from junk yard???
Old 04-15-2019, 08:02 AM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

Recieved 342 Likes on 326 Posts

The 2.59 gear ratio in the standard or base gear for automatic transmission cars. The 3.07 is the only optional gear ratio. There is a SPID label which location can vary by year. Label lists VIN all RPO and Paint codes. It's like a mini "build sheet" Dealer could tell you if you provided VIN. SPID doesn't have VATS or key code
G92 Performance Axle
GM1 2.59 ratio
G44 3.07 ratio
To change from 2.59 to 3.07 isn't practical because only housing and yokes/ flanges are reused. The gear and carrier would but have to replaced. Installing a used 3.07 assembly IMO only practical way to do it. A 3.07 allows for options related to gear changes.

Last edited by Kevova; 04-15-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:12 AM
Joe K
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My 85 base is GU2-2.73 ratio and MD8-4 speed auto, my 85 Z51 is G44-3.07 ratio and MD8-4 speed auto. Just for reference.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Y-bodluvr
CF Senior Member

Recieved 19 Likes on 16 Posts

No and Ive had all 3 types of transmissions in several different C4s and C5s automatic 4+3 and 6-speed my 89 vert is a CRUISER and not a canyon carver and after years of driving sticks there comes a time where shifting gears becomes more of CHORE and not a fun factor and I actually sold my 01 Vert 6-speed last year for my 02 Coupe mainly because I wanted an automatic again 7 years ago when I bought it and specifically wanted a stick..the grass is always greener on the other side and who knows my next car may be a stick again

Last edited by Y-bodluvr; 04-15-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 AM
Y-bodluvr
CF Senior Member

Recieved 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Stepps View Post
Hey Kevova, how do I know what gears are in my 94 coupe base? I looked at the original window sticker, the manual but don't see anything about the gears. Also forgive my ignorance but when you say 2.59 gears vs 3.07 are we talking tranny or rear gearing??? Did the 3.07 come stock as well? How much would it cost (approximately) to have my mechanic change to the 3.07s? What differences can I expect to feel if I change (pros AND cons)? Should I buy new or chance one from junk yard???
the pros are generally a 3.07 geared LT1 is about .2-.3 quicker in the 1/4 mile the cons are maybe a mpg or two less I really wouldnt bother upgrading an LT1 to 3.07s Id go 3.45-3.73
Old 04-15-2019, 12:36 PM
DGXR
CF Senior Member

Recieved 172 Likes on 160 Posts

The automatics are good for what they are. Not quite as tough as the manual but still a good option if you want an automatic sports car. I specifically sought out a manual C4 because this is my weekend toy --- I have an automatic in my daily driver pickup.

Originally Posted by bac22 View Post
The reason you see more auto's for sale has to do more with GM's marketing realizing most people buying new corvettes had reach a point in life that they wanted a sports car, but didn't want a stick. For example in 1995, only 23% of C4's were sticks, 1996 only 29% of C4's were sticks...I believe that ratio is the similar for all prior years of C4's...so it's normal that ~70% of C4's for sale today will be automatics. Has nothing to do with them sucking. If you want a stick keep looking.
This is all true. However I feel compelled to mention that the 1996 auto vs. manual sales numbers are slightly skewed by the LT4 and Grand Sport; those 1996-only options came only with a manual trans.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:06 PM
drcook
CF Senior Member

Recieved 262 Likes on 233 Posts

There are days that I moan and groan about not having a stick and then there are many more days where I am glad I don't due to a childhood right hand injury.

With that said, there are enhancements available for the 1996 and up 4L60E transmissions that can turn them into roadrace/autocross capable trans. There are now valve bodies that restore engine braking such as this:

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/4l60e-valv...e-brakinghtml/

and Sonnax makes some kits capable of holding high HP/high torque applications.

Granted it will cost money, but options are there. Coupled with a good fan equipped cooler back where the spare tire goes and you can have a great setup.

This is what I am going to build. Additionally there are mentions on the web about paddle shifter applications, I sent an email to one of the companies, but have not gotten a response yet.

Sonnax 4L60E Level 3 Transmission Build
Old 04-15-2019, 04:07 PM
ErrrrCar205
CF Member

Recieved 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's just a trade-off of how bad you want that feature vs. can you stand the wait. I wanted a stick, but my car found me instead of the other way around (no kidding, it showed up at a dealer across the street from my office) and I took the Corvette in front of me rather than waiting for the "perfect one" with an M6. I'm very glad I did because it definitely hasn't sucked. It's been a blast, and I'd have missed out on those miles if I kept hunting for a stick shift.

Would I swap to a stick if I could? Sure, I love rowin' the gears. (There are days I miss my '03 Neon because it was a stick...but those were dire days and I don't miss it that often!).
But I'm not going out of my way to make the switch. The ride would be the same, the cockpit is essentially the same, and it sounds like the 4L60Es are easier to maintain anyway. And regardless of the trans, when you push that right pedal STUFF HAPPENS.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:19 PM
383vett
CF Senior Member

Recieved 681 Likes on 506 Posts

My car started out as a manual. I swapped in an auto for bracket racing. No regrets.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: