C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Mouse getting into interior of a 96

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:17 PM
ErrrrCar205
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

A layered defense seemed to work for me this winter (the first I've owned the 'Vette).

We hired a pest control company who, among other things, came out and sprayed expanding foam into every crevice they could find. Of course they may miss some, but it shut down a lot of obvious entry points. You could probably do this yourself, I suppose.
Then they put kill traps with bait along the walls, especially near doors. (Mice will run along walls and not out in the open).

Then I put cotton ***** soaked in peppermint oil in ziplock bags, with some holes punched in to let it seep out. I'd never heard of this before but my father in law swears by it, and I know for a fact his 12 year old Ford has never had any mouse problems. One in the engine compartment, one in each tailpipe (which I then covered over with shopping bags & tape, thinking I'd be able to see if somebody punched through), a couple more just tossed under the car. (I was worried about having a minty fresh engine, but the smell didn't linger once I pulled the bags in the spring). The last ditch: snap traps with peanut butter by the tires.

I also parked the car on a tarp for the winter which I'd seen recommended in one of the "hibernation" threads (for condensation prevention, not mouse control). I doubt that had any real deterrent value, but if even one mouse said, "What's this weird stuff, I'm going back to the concrete" then it couldn't hurt.

Happy to report that a few little intruders got picked off by the outer traps in the fall, and nothing after that. It either worked great or I have exceedingly bright and secretive mice.

Quick Reply: Mouse getting into interior of a 96