C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

everyone wants to race

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 11:52 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pacoW
you didn't indicate what C4 you have, but assuming about 3300lbs & 300hp, there's a lot of new stuff that'll smoke a C4, that could easily have 4 doors or and/or 8ft bed.

You funny ....
Old 05-13-2019, 12:52 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
You funny ....
Funny?? How?? Am I a clown to you??

Old 05-13-2019, 12:56 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 73DBG
Thats not what I got from 856’s post....just sounds like he’s well aware of the capabilities of a C4 compared to what’s out there today....even a modded C4 is gonna have a lot of problems against a lot of cars....a new civic type R makes 330hp....Kia Stinger GT even more...what I find more ridiculous is the comments of calling the cops and sending in tag numbers on guys just trying to have a little fun with other car guys....and the people encouraging those posters to video record these guys and call 911.....that’s just embarrassing, ridiculous and sounds like something a hippy liberal Prius or smart car driver would do.....not a vette owner...

Correct! Spot on! Thanks!
Old 05-13-2019, 01:01 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,946 Posts

:be cool about it or be a dbag about it.....not sure why so many people choose option B honestly.
Because people are basically bad?
Old 05-13-2019, 01:12 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
You funny ....
Also interested in how he’s funny? He’s pretty spot on about the weight including driver and probably generous on the HP....sooooo....yeah....
Old 05-13-2019, 01:21 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
Because people are basically bad?
Unfortunately true....just expect a little better from vette folks I guess....it’s much more work to choose option B.

I’m late 30’s had a kid in his mid 20’s roll up on the interstate on me a few months ago....he was in a 2000 something colbalt SS that he’d done work to....I honestly had no clue about those cars or what they are capable of or what power they make. I chose the easy route...option A and gave him what he wanted...easy day...we both actually pulled of a few exits down stopped in a Cracker Barrel parking lot and talked cars for a good hour or two....we’ve been friends ever since and now he’s in the market for a C5z maybe a C6 if he can swing it.

Last edited by 73DBG; 05-13-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Unfortunately true....just expect a little better from vette folks I guess....it’s much more work to choose option B.
I just accepted that you will be basically bad and if that is how you play out, no disappointment. If you don't, pleasant surprise. Lowered expectations, less disappointment.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:33 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Funny I never have anyone revving their engines wanting to race me. But I wouldn't race them even if they did.
The last time I saw a spontaneous street race (Camaro SS vs Corvette), it ended very badly
No thanks.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:40 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

It's funny. Rarely did anyone want to race any of my C4's or even my C6's. My LS1 Camaros? A few here and there. My slow as hell automatic 98 Mustang GT? Every time I drove it there seemed to be someone who wanted to run. The GT looked and sounded good but man was it slow....and it ran perfect. lol

I believe people who think everyone wants to race them has that in their own mind. Most people do not give two hoots in hell about a Corvette, let alone a 30 year old one that has the image the C4 does. If you go out with that mentality you will think lots are trying to race when in face they just want to pass you to cut you off to pull into MacDonalds to get a large #3 with two apple pies for $1 and a "diet" Coke. They are not racing, they are just rude.
The following users liked this post:
DGXR (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 01:52 PM
Steves LS6
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

I learned a lesson about 5 years ago. I was driving my Charger SRT8 and this kid in a beat up GTI pulls up next to me. I rolled the throttle when I took off thinking I was going to pull away like he was standing still. He was on my bumper the whole time. At the next light I told him to roll down the window and he gave me the tough guy look......I was laughing and complimented his car. He smiled and told me he had a turbo VR6 under the hood. I guess everyone wants a measuring stick to see what their hard work has accomplished.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:23 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Steves LS6
I learned a lesson about 5 years ago. I was driving my Charger SRT8 and this kid in a beat up GTI pulls up next to me. I rolled the throttle when I took off thinking I was going to pull away like he was standing still. He was on my bumper the whole time. At the next light I told him to roll down the window and he gave me the tough guy look......I was laughing and complimented his car. He smiled and told me he had a turbo VR6 under the hood. I guess everyone wants a measuring stick to see what their hard work has accomplished.
Thats usually how it happens lol....those sleeper guys love that type of ****. Honestly I don’t even know how I got in this thread lol...probably a late night “new post” click....never been on the C4 section but glad I stopped by, seems like some cool cats....some not so much but that’s everything.

Kid in the Cobalt wasn’t anything for me to worry about....honestly nothing just rolling up on the highway is for me....I need to search out runs and even those haven’t been close so far but that’s not the point honesty. I gave the kid what he wanted...to see my 800+whp C6z let loose a little(he had no clue of actual power numbers at the time) and at night high rpm pulls it shoots serious flames and that’s always a crowd pleaser lol. I’m glad he did what he did...pulled up rev’d his turbo 4cyl and took off....I down shifted to 4th and it was game over in seconds....but I made a pretty good friend and I’m pretty sure that specific encounter is gonna make this kid a vette owner sooner or later. That’s what it’s all about in my opinion for what it’s worth. 🇺🇸

Last edited by 73DBG; 05-13-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:52 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
I My slow as hell automatic 98 Mustang GT? Every time I drove it there seemed to be someone who wanted to run. The GT looked and sounded good but man was it slow....and it ran perfect. lol
That reminded me of one of the only times I bended to temptation. I had a 88 5.0 Mustang 5speed hatchback and was driving home from work and another fox body around the same year, but really ratty looking pulled behind me. Was riding my bumper so I decided to see what he wanted. I downshifted and mashed the accelerator and sure enough he did the same and looking in my mirror so much blue smoke poured out of his Exhaust I couldn't help but laugh as I pulled away. After showing that he was out of his league I slowed down to speed limit and smiled the rest of the way home.

As for my Corvette a few have given indication they wanted to play, but for me I just want to enjoy the trip and don't take their bait.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:06 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

EH, had a bimmer pull up next to me on the 405 fwy late at night, cruising at 80. He obviously wanted to go I wasnt up for it. Besides that tpi isnt doing anything excpet groaning like a cow that just got hit on the snout with a bat. Ok so finally hit passing gear which immediately resulted in the sensation of letting off the gas (that good ol TPI wall) and off he went. Thought what a pos lol.
Most know the c4 as "the slow ones" so they get picked on. Had some guy in a Coyote riding my bumper for a mile while in the El last mo. Wasnt really interested especially on narrow streets. Eventually I gave it a good stomp in 2nd left him a long ways back algon with a couple black stripes following me.
One day Ill grow up...nah probably not.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:26 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

This is spot on 👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

Now for the guys talking about calling the cops and video recording a dude who revs his engine....🙄 makes a quick pull....🙄 unbelievable.....maybe sell the vette and get a hybrid....
LMAO... yeah, some people just like to feel like they have a sense of conviction for something or stand up for something. Some on the other hand are taddle tales and cry babies... Those are my favorite snack.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:36 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

My daily driver is a truck, 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 crew cab. I got it with the 5.7 Hemi and the 3.92 towing package. It's a great truck, rides nice, gets ok mileage if I drive it sanely, and to me is just a good looking truck. However, more people want to race my truck than all of my cars combined, ever. That includes 5 V8 Camaros, 1 GTO, 6 Corvettes, 1 Mustang GT and a Capri 5.0.

It's amazing what people want to race. lol
Old 05-14-2019, 05:41 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

My daily driver is a truck, 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 crew cab. I got it with the 5.7 Hemi and the 3.92 towing package. It's a great truck, rides nice, gets ok mileage if I drive it sanely, and to me is just a good looking truck. However, more people want to race my truck than all of my cars combined, ever. That includes 5 V8 Camaros, 1 GTO, 6 Corvettes, 1 Mustang GT and a Capri 5.0.

lol - they like to race my Avenger, no contest.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

My daily driver is also a Ram 1500 5.7 , but 2014 Express crew cab with 3.55 and can say from a rolling start might embarrass my 91. While the truck has a weight disadvantage the 395 ponies does a great job of getting it rolling.

Get notified of new replies

To everyone wants to race

Old 05-14-2019, 08:39 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

The Ram 1500 is a good running truck. All the new trucks are quick for what they are.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:28 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I did so much stupid stuff with my '67 Vette back when I was young and foolish, I figure I've used up all my good luck. I've had the '92 almost 11 years, and have hit 100 ONE time. Out west, limit was 75 and not a car on either side of the Interstate for as far as I could see. Wife had never been 100 so we went up to 102 for about a mile, then back down.

The only time I've ever flogged it on the street was one night we were coming home about 1AM and somebody started following us through the subdivision. Was a bit concerned about getting mugged as we got out of the car so I was not about to show where our driveway was. I took several turns until it was obvious they were following, then put my foot in it. Probably didn't get over 50, but then on the brakes, turn, accelerate etc until they vanished.

Sure, I'll make a blast up the on-ramp (that's what they are for, to accelerate to merging speed, right? ) and the cloverleaf exits are fun, but my street racing days are decades behind me and I'm glad to say it. You could put a tall stack of 100's on the table and I would NOT do some of the stuff I did back then.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:00 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Railroadman
I did so much stupid stuff with my '67 Vette back when I was young and foolish, I figure I've used up all my good luck. I've had the '92 almost 11 years, and have hit 100 ONE time. Out west, limit was 75 and not a car on either side of the Interstate for as far as I could see. Wife had never been 100 so we went up to 102 for about a mile, then back down.

The only time I've ever flogged it on the street was one night we were coming home about 1AM and somebody started following us through the subdivision. Was a bit concerned about getting mugged as we got out of the car so I was not about to show where our driveway was. I took several turns until it was obvious they were following, then put my foot in it. Probably didn't get over 50, but then on the brakes, turn, accelerate etc until they vanished.

Sure, I'll make a blast up the on-ramp (that's what they are for, to accelerate to merging speed, right? ) and the cloverleaf exits are fun, but my street racing days are decades behind me and I'm glad to say it. You could put a tall stack of 100's on the table and I would NOT do some of the stuff I did back then.
Stateside....I would never.....Mexico....completely different story lol 🇲🇽👍🏻 No rules down that way🤣

Quick Reply: everyone wants to race