C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Fuel Problem

Old 06-06-2019, 03:45 PM
alanliang
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Problem

Hi guys,

I have a 1991 Corvette with an L98 that I've picked up not too long ago. I'm in love with the car. However, I'm currently going through some tough times with it right now.

Long story short, the car will run, then it will stall. I would start the car and it will crank and won't turn over. I did a spark test and there is spark. There are no vacuum leaks.

Once in a blue moon, it will turn over and run normal as if there's absolutely no problem. The car will even run up to 30 minutes before it stalls again. Afterward, it will crank and won't turn over.

I confirmed that fuel to be the issue by spraying starter fluid into the throttle body while cranking; It will turn over for a few seconds before it stalls again. So there is no fuel coming in.
The fuel pump and fuel filter were replaced not too long ago. I replaced the fuel pump relay. Fuel rails and fuel injectors were tested good. Can't be a clogged fuel line if it runs for 30 minutes. Fuel pump does seem to prime. What could it be? (Yes, there is gas in the tank of course)
When the car runs, it would run as if nothing happens with normal performance. One time, I was able to turn the car over and let it run for ten minutes, as soon as I turned off the vehicle and try to start it again, it would crank and won't turn over.

I appreciate any help and advice guys!

Thank you,
-Alan

(P.S: Will do a fuel pressure test soon)

Last edited by alanliang; 06-06-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:13 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by alanliang

Do that.

Because all WE can do, is:
1. Make wild assed guesses, (my GUESS is that you have a bad or intermittent connection to your fuel pump)
2. Tell you to put a gauge on it so you can SEE what's going on with your fuel pressure.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:25 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by alanliang
... Fuel rails and fuel injectors were tested good. ...

How did you test the fuel rails and injectors?
Old 06-07-2019, 08:35 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Do that.

Because all WE can do, is:
1. Make wild assed guesses, (my GUESS is that you have a bad or intermittent connection to your fuel pump)
2. Tell you to put a gauge on it so you can SEE what's going on with your fuel pressure.
What Tom says.

OP: REPLACING A PART DOES NOT ELIMINATE THE POSSIBILITY OF FAILURE. OPERATION MUST BE VERIFIED (preferably BEFORE replacing the part in the first place!!!).

Don't take me as being all superior or preachy or anything. I used to write and teach technical training in a previous life, and troubleshooting was on the menu. One of the most common traps ppl get caught up in is (1) first assuming symptoms are caused by a particular part and replacing it before even verifying that it has actually failed, and (2) assuming the replacement part is working properly without VERIFICATION, and (3) if the issue persists, assuming "it can't be "that widget" b/c it was just replaced...'blah, blah, blah..." I hate to see you (or anyone) fall into that old trap!
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Workman:
3D-Aircrew (06-07-2019), marines (06-07-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 08:00 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by 3D-Aircrew
How did you test the fuel rails and injectors?
That would be my question. All he can do is see if there are leaks which is fine for the rail. The original injectors are worse than junk because of today's fuel having ethanol.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Problem