C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Odometer help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 04:31 AM
joemactuba
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer help

I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is a way to see the real mileage on a craigslist 84 vette if he says the digidash is not working. When i look at replacements they have a odometer looking gauge at the top right. Is this a secondary mechanical odometer? Could i, in theory, ask him if i could remove the trim to see the actual mileage?
Old 06-11-2019, 06:16 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by joemactuba
I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is a way to see the real mileage on a craigslist 84 vette if he says the digidash is not working. When i look at replacements they have a odometer looking gauge at the top right. Is this a secondary mechanical odometer? Could i, in theory, ask him if i could remove the trim to see the actual mileage?
as far as I know, only one odometer on the (early) C4's. BTW, it's not a pure mechanical movement, but electro-mechanical. the whole thing centers around a small electric motor. there are ways to set back the indicated miles, but it requires replacement with another odometer movement, or disassembly of the original, and re-indexing the internals. unless big money's involved, not sure it's worth it for something on the lower end of the value scale. it is possible, however, that the odometer is working separately from the digital dash. depends on the internal circuitry, and power and grounds to the instrument panel itself. this is one area where you have to go on your "gut" feeling. --

Last edited by Joe C; 06-11-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:43 AM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

My atari dash went out on my 86 and when it was out the odometer still worked. If you drive it make sure it still is working.

PS: the trim has a window cutout for the odometer.

Last edited by 3D-Aircrew; 06-11-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:36 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

As mentioned, the odometer on early C4s are not digital and operate even if the dash is out. The seller should be able to provide you with a picture of the dash and odometer.

Get notified of new replies

To Odometer help

Quick Reply: Odometer help