C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Where is mass airflow grounded at? FRUSTRATED IN INDIANA

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 01:03 PM
Pete Quella
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where is mass airflow grounded at? FRUSTRATED IN INDIANA

i HAVE REPLACED THE MAF, ECM, TPS, AIR IDLE CONTROL, THE BURN OFF RELAY AND THE MAF RELAY AND I STILL GET CODE 33 PLEASEHELP!
Old 04-19-2021, 05:42 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 553 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Quella
i HAVE REPLACED THE MAF, ECM, TPS, AIR IDLE CONTROL, THE BURN OFF RELAY AND THE MAF RELAY AND I STILL GET CODE 33 PLEASEHELP!

Since you seem to be replacing random parts in the hope you strike it lucky, try new fuel pump, injectors and maybe air conditioning compressor. If that doesn't do the trick, my only other suggestion would be to buy a FSM and use the diagnostic charts to find your problem.
The following users liked this post:
Toy96CE (04-22-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 06:01 PM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

Received 595 Likes on 447 Posts

Sorry you had to replace all those components unnecessarily. Code 33 is pretty much useless. Programming that error out via a chip will “solve” the problem.

If you want to try your hand at “fixing” it, then as arbee says, go buy a factory service manual. They’re about $20 on RockAuto (look under your year in the Literature section). But plenty have tried, failed, disabled the code, and kept on driving without further issue.

Best of luck.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:27 AM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

There were a lot of issues with the ECM causing erroneous Code 33s. I am attaching a write up I saved years ago which will give you some good insight into ECM caused 33 failures.

As for a factory service manual(s), go to ebay and find the correct GM manual(s) for your year car. Generic manuals purchased over the counter are just that, "generic", and will more than likely be a waste of money for diagnosing most problems. They are way to general.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Corvette CODE 33 PROBLEMS.pdf (824.0 KB, 48 views)
Nomake Wan (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 09:32 AM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red86Z51
There were a lot of issues with the ECM causing erroneous Code 33s. I am attaching a write up I saved years ago which will give you some good insight into ECM caused 33 failures.

As for a factory service manual(s), go to ebay and find the correct GM manual(s) for your year car. Generic manuals purchased over the counter are just that, "generic", and will more than likely be a waste of money for diagnosing most problems. They are way to general.
The $20 FSM on RockAuto is the real GM Factory Service Manual. Far better deal than spending five times that for a greasy old book on eBay. Just a heads up.
Red86Z51 (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 12:41 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
The $20 FSM on RockAuto is the real GM Factory Service Manual. Far better deal than spending five times that for a greasy old book on eBay. Just a heads up.
Roger that. I've never shopped their literature section, so I missed they have those. Ebay can still be your friend for the hard-copy version of the FSM if your patient Smoking deals come across from time to time. Another option is to post a WTB ad in the parts section. You never know who might be willing to give a forum member a good deal on some manuals they no longer need.
Nomake Wan (04-20-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 01:57 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 258 Likes on 215 Posts

Have you done anything to the car that could increase the airflow relative to the tps position or have you adjusted the tps? Aftermarket throttle body, increased displacement (383), heads/cam/intake, blower, driving in a mine/below sea level, whatever?

Here's a log which includes startup showing normal MAF flow in relation to the tps and rpm: https://datazap.me/u/elijah/gas-stat...-2619-2701-199

Note: The code 33 threshold is 45 gm/sec, so I've added some markers near the 45 gm/sec threshold for reference.

Some cars simply flow more air within the given rpm (<2000) and tps (1/4 throttle) constraints and may require threshold adjustment in the tune to avoid setting code 33.

Get an aldl cable or scan tool and scan it yourself for the answer. An open circuit on the maf signal wire will also cause a code 33 since the signal is pulled up by the ecm (10k pullup resistor).
Nomake Wan (04-21-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 05:55 PM
Pete Quella
4th Gear

I solved it 2 bad mass air flow sensors back to back.
Nomake Wan (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 09:09 PM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

I solved it 2 bad mass air flow sensors back to back.
I have a used Bosch on the way. 3rd one.The aftermarket ones are all Chines junk..
Old 05-01-2021, 08:22 AM
Pete Quella
4th Gear

After 2 weeks of driving bliss code 33 showed back up on the way to work this morning, Another bad sensor?
Old 05-01-2021, 11:46 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 553 Likes on 359 Posts

After 2 weeks of driving bliss code 33 showed back up on the way to work this morning, Another bad sensor?

You have two choices. Buy an FSM as you have been told to do and follow the diagnostic chart and DETERMINE the cause of the code OR you can pull out your wallet and start chucking more parts at it. Your call.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:58 AM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
Sorry you had to replace all those components unnecessarily. Code 33 is pretty much useless. Programming that error out via a chip will “solve” the problem.

If you want to try your hand at “fixing” it, then as arbee says, go buy a factory service manual. They’re about $20 on RockAuto (look under your year in the Literature section). But plenty have tried, failed, disabled the code, and kept on driving without further issue.

Best of luck.
Originally Posted by tequilaboy
Have you done anything to the car that could increase the airflow relative to the tps position or have you adjusted the tps? Aftermarket throttle body, increased displacement (383), heads/cam/intake, blower, driving in a mine/below sea level, whatever?

Here's a log which includes startup showing normal MAF flow in relation to the tps and rpm: https://datazap.me/u/elijah/gas-stat...-2619-2701-199

Note: The code 33 threshold is 45 gm/sec, so I've added some markers near the 45 gm/sec threshold for reference.

Some cars simply flow more air within the given rpm (<2000) and tps (1/4 throttle) constraints and may require threshold adjustment in the tune to avoid setting code 33.

Get an aldl cable or scan tool and scan it yourself for the answer. An open circuit on the maf signal wire will also cause a code 33 since the signal is pulled up by the ecm (10k pullup resistor).
Hi there.

Get notified of new replies

To Where is mass airflow grounded at? FRUSTRATED IN INDIANA

Quick Reply: Where is mass airflow grounded at? FRUSTRATED IN INDIANA