HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 06:14 PM
GoodbyeGirl
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default HID Headlights

Does anyone have the HID headlights on their C4 or any of their other vehicles?

I recently moved and have a long commute home from work in the dark :( and my night vision isn't that great. Do the HIDs really make a difference? I was wondering what the cost is and if they're easy to install.

[Modified by GoodbyeGirl, 5:02 PM 10/6/2003]
Old 10-06-2003, 06:26 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Re: HID Headlights (GoodbyeGirl)

My night vision sucks as well and I can only eat so many carrots... :lurk:

[Modified by tobijohn, 6:26 PM 10/6/2003]
Old 10-06-2003, 07:12 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Well, meanwhile I did a search of the archives (I've got to get in the habit of doing that first) and the consensus is try the Syvania Silver Stars (Part # H6054ST) before shelling out the the $600+ for the HID upgrade kits. While they are not as bright as true HID, they might be good enough for your needs and at $20-25 per, there certainly more economical. The only concern seems to be that the additional weight of these over the OEMs (1.75 lbs vs. .75 lbs) might lead to premature wear on the headlight motors...

[Modified by tobijohn, 7:26 PM 10/6/2003]
Old 10-06-2003, 09:58 PM
chaos on wheels
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have HIDs on my Audi and I think they are amazing!

Sylvania still has the xenarc 6054 on sale for 299 on their Website.
I've never installed them so I can't say how they fit.

[Modified by chaos on wheels, 6:59 PM 10/6/2003]
Old 10-07-2003, 03:56 AM
JOliver
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: HID Headlights (chaos on wheels)

"True HIDs" are great I have them on my Lincoln Mark VIII
I haven't researched this but a HID system for the Vette would be expensive and they are nice but I couldn't justify the cost on a C4 ...Try the Diamond cut bulbs or a nice SilverStar ,They are very nice looking and add alot of light.

Jason
Old 10-07-2003, 07:13 AM
Callaway4Fun
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: HID Headlights (JOliver)

Sylvania xenarc sell for 299 they are a true HID system with everything you need .
Old 10-07-2003, 09:44 AM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Default Re: HID Headlights (Callaway4Fun)

Yup, I saw that on their site late last night:
http://orderxenarc.sylvania.com/orde...C=107200394236

My night vision is terrible but I think I'll try the Silver Stars for $20 a piece first...
Old 10-09-2003, 10:01 PM
wirenut3
Instructor

Hi I dont have them yeat but I going to try them I seen them on EBAY heck they are worth A try I think they were 30.00 a set goodluck :cool:
Old 10-09-2003, 10:58 PM
TOO_HOTTVETTE
Burning Brakes

Default Re: HID Headlights (tobijohn)

Well, meanwhile I did a search of the archives (I've got to get in the habit of doing that first) and the consensus is try the Syvania Silver Stars (Part # H6054ST) before shelling out the the $600+ for the HID upgrade kits. While they are not as bright as true HID, they might be good enough for your needs and at $20-25 per, there certainly more economical. The only concern seems to be that the additional weight of these over the OEMs (1.75 lbs vs. .75 lbs) might lead to premature wear on the headlight motors...

You can go with an aftermarket headlight housing (non sealed bean) and use The sylvania silver star H4 bulbs. This housing is plastic so it will not have the weight of the glass sealed beam. I've seen two types of this housing

[Modified by tobijohn, 7:26 PM 10/6/2003]
:) :crazy: :crazy: :) :) [IMG][/IMG] :) [IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-10-2003, 10:20 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 308 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I put the Sylvania Silverstars on last year...yes, they are heavier because they are glass vs. the plastic OEM's but I've had no problems so far...they put out a whiter light and they illuminate much better....I paid $50 for mine at Discount/Autozone.... good luck
Old 10-10-2003, 12:02 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 568 Likes on 443 Posts

FYI

Right after getting my Corvette I determined the lighting is horrible for the speed/distance this car can cover at night. The best word i ahve heard to describe stock C4/C5 lighting is 'criminal'.

So I started working on the problem.

I ran a Matrix Diamond Housing/Matrix 90/100w ultimate white lights and was very disappointed.

I then switched to Hella E-spec housings/Matrix 90/100w ultimate white lights and am disappointed with the low beams, but mildly satisfied with the high beams.

Im disappointed because i cant see very far/or is the light very bright with the low beams. high beams are ok/adequete I'd say to 110 MPH speeds at night.

I dont know whether the bulbs or the housing is causing the problem. I have heard others say the Hella E-spec housing is the way to go....but they have run different (better?) bulbs with theirs.

id love to get something better, but am tired of dropping money into it.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Xenarc system?

Old 10-10-2003, 04:26 PM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HID Headlights (dizwiz24)

Xenarcs are true HIDs with the ballast resistor, etc
Silver Stars are HID look a lives. (super whites)
Old 10-10-2003, 08:15 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I went from standard 6054's to the SilverStar 6054's and they are an improvement, but they still aren't the end all of lighting for the C4. I keep wanting to install a fixed lighting system using HID....maybe in 10 years time though.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Texas CE
Instructor

I do not know the set-up on your car but you cannot switch just switch out the bulbs. The stock headlamps are sealed beams so you have to replace the entire headlamp unit. here is what I did on mine:

- I purchased the entire headlamp conversion kit from Mid America for I think $60.00.

- The kit came with better halogen bulbs. They give you a choice of clear or blue tint bulbs. The blue tint is supposed to mimic the xenon look but all it does is reduce the lighting so go with the white.

- Also get the plastic shields they sell for the kit

There are 2 benefits to this kit:

- The modules are much lighter so it reduces the lifting load place upon the headlight motors & gears.

- It converts your car over to a separate lamp housing and light bulb unit so you can make upgrades in the future.

I found the lighting to be a huge improvement over stock.

Good Luck! :steering:
Old 10-12-2003, 11:29 AM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HID are WAY too expensive for my taste. I've been running the BOSCH headlamp system, with 100/80 watt bulbs, for about 6 years now. Not a single problem yet, and the lighting was improved BIG time. I would think you would get the same results from the HELLA's. I believe the Vette lights are too low for any real good lighting at night no matter what you have. Unless you add driving lights. A headlight can only put out so much light for high and low beam.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:10 PM
c5west
Intermediate

We make a C4R quad headlight system for the C4. the entire kit is direct bolt in and will give you even more light. I have even had customers take the center lights and replace with 4" aircraft landing lights. Talk about high beam! We sell the complete kit on ebay for $495 plus shipping. Check out our website http://www.c5west.com for more pic's and details.

Thanks,
Spencer
Old 10-14-2003, 07:11 AM
jsinga
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try looking at this page. I do a lot of driving at night to. http://lighting.mbz.org/home.html
I put the Cibe lamps and 130/100 bulbs in my 87 and now I have LIGHT!
The lamps make a big difference since they shine the light down on the pavement where you need it on low beam. Another great thing is they don't have a lot of backscatter off rain, since they don't shine light up.
The lamps can be put in with what ever bulb you want. These are real E-coded lamps from europe. They aren't DOT approved. He won't sell you the 100/130 bulbs without a relay kit because they will TOAST your factory wiring. The setup I have pulls 18 amps on low beam. It was about a days work to figure out where to mount things and get all the wiring in.
I have at least the light of HID and it's bright white light. Now I see stuff at night and drive around it instead of seeing it in time to run over it!!!
All total about $200 by the time I got done.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:39 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: HID Headlights (Texas CE)

I do not know the set-up on your car but you cannot switch just switch out the bulbs. The stock headlamps are sealed beams so you have to replace the entire headlamp unit. here is what I did on mine:

- I purchased the entire headlamp conversion kit from Mid America for I think $60.00.

- The kit came with better halogen bulbs. They give you a choice of clear or blue tint bulbs. The blue tint is supposed to mimic the xenon look but all it does is reduce the lighting so go with the white.

- Also get the plastic shields they sell for the kit

There are 2 benefits to this kit:

- The modules are much lighter so it reduces the lifting load place upon the headlight motors & gears.

- It converts your car over to a separate lamp housing and light bulb unit so you can make upgrades in the future.

I found the lighting to be a huge improvement over stock.

Good Luck! :steering:
I have the same kit on my 93. I agree with everything above, except the comment about the blue lights. I went with the highest output H-4 bulb (which happens to be one of the blue style) and it lights up GREAT! I think they are 90/110 watts (L/H). These were not the ones included in the kit. I had one go out and then replaced both with those. Because we are so low to the ground, people don't flash me that they think I have my high beams on. It is very nice. :D
Old 10-15-2003, 07:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have HID's on my Vette - What a difference they make. Also have Sylvania Silverstars on my '00 Blazer ( same bulbe number that would go into a vette) I feel like I can see again at night.

I am looking for some driving lights for the Blazer and to replace the bubles on the vette. Anyone with suggestions??

Get notified of new replies

To HID Headlights

Quick Reply: HID Headlights