Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Replace the power brake booster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 01:51 PM
mogulmike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replace the power brake booster?

I have a hiss when I apply the brakes and I have to stand on them to stop. Since the brakes still work and no leaks I assume this is a booster only that needs replaced. Has anyone done this? How long should it take? Do I have to take out the dash? Any experiance is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:52 PM
62C1
Instructor

Default Re: Replace the power brake booster? (mogulmike)

Sounds like your booster is gone. I did this several months ago. Took about 4 hours. Hardest part was getting to the nuts up under the dash that hold the booster on. The shop manual outlines the procedure real well. I had to buy the replacement booster from Chevrolet (couldn't find one aftermarket). I got mine for aboput $260. new. IM me if you need help.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:02 PM
C-4 Cross Fire
Pro

I bought mine for $106!!! Check CSK on the web--they still have them but THEY HAVE JUST NOW GONE OUT OF PRODUCTION!!! Get 'em while they're hot...er...cheap!
Old 10-15-2003, 05:11 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 186 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Re: Replace the power brake booster? (C-4 Cross Fire)

Just did mine. Got it from advance Auto for $ 98 with lifetime warranty. It's metal so maybe it will handle the heat from my headers better. If you are of large proportion like myself, do youself a favor and take the seat out. Also, make sure you have 1/4" extensions.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:13 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yup, undoubtedly a brake booster. :yesnod:

If it gets worse, it can stall your engine upon hitting the brakes. How'd you like to have no power brakes AND no power steering! :eek:
Old 10-16-2003, 04:44 AM
MaSTeRofDZaSTeR
Drifting

Location: "Drive like Hell, you'll get there faster." Tucson AZ
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a hiss when I apply the brakes and I have to stand on them to stop. Since the brakes still work and no leaks I assume this is a booster only that needs replaced. Has anyone done this? How long should it take? Do I have to take out the dash? Any experiance is greatly appreciated.
Yep I had this done two weeks ago. Got mine at auto zone. $140 with a $38 core charge so it actually cost me $102. Same hissing prob and my brakes were like a rock. I even sprained my leg one day on em and then I was like F*** this I'm gonna get it replaced. LOL. Works awesome now with toe-touch on a dime stopping. Took my mechanic an hour and a half to do, but then again he's got superior facilities. Do yourself a favor and save yourself a hundred bucks or so by goin to a local auto parts store and getting the part rather than ordering it through MID or Chevrolet. You'll save about 50%. BTW, I doubt your Master Cylinder is leaking, but you can usually tell if white starts coming out of the exhaust when you're driving. I had the same exact probs you're currently describing and my master cylinder was fine. Only PBB needed to be replaced. Only reason why they sell the Master Cylinder with the PBB in packages now is that if your Master Cylinder leaks...it's pretty definite that the PBB will go regardless if it fails or not. But it doesn't work necessarily the other way around. :seeya
Old 10-16-2003, 06:49 AM
Charlutz
Racer

That's it! I am blaming you guys. I never even heard of a power brake booster and now I think I caught the disease from this post. Last night when I got in the car and started it, I heard a hiss. Sounds like air escaping under the dash and the pedal gradually sinks as air escapes? Is that the PBB? I had my master cylinder replaced about 6 mos ago. Damn. And they say vettes are inanimate...
Old 10-16-2003, 08:05 AM
mogulmike
Racer

Ordered my booster last night from andvanced auto for $98. If I just take the plastic cover of the under dash will I be able to get to everything ok or do I need to take out my instrument cluster also? My buddy has my book "somewhere in his garage" so any tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:31 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you all say hiss, is it occurring when you let off the brake pedal and its more like a sucking sound? My brakes seem to work fine but every so often I hear a hissing or sucking sound as I release the pedal. Wondering if I should order the parts now antisipating this to be the next item on the list.

Old 10-16-2003, 09:15 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Yea, on my list, hard peddle, but no sounds yet, so better order one now and do it....
Old 10-16-2003, 09:19 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: Replace the power brake booster? (jerkyboy)

Do you have the web add for advance auto...?
Old 10-16-2003, 09:29 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Replace the power brake booster? (vinnies87)

The cluster does not have to come out, only the composition hush panel. The trick is getting to the nuts which hold the booster. I found it much quicker to take the seat out to give me enough room. Extensions are a must as is a good light source. Not a hard job just a PITA.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:48 AM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Replace the power brake booster? (jerkyboy)

:iagree: or a Cirqu de Solile performer....(spelling de jour) thats french.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:35 AM
mogulmike
Racer

Default Re: Replace the power brake booster? (93JetJocky)

My hiss is a sucking sound but only heard while the brake pedel is pushed so while sitting at a red light the sound is constant. If I push the pedal to the floor the noise goes away. I assume the hiss is a break in the vaccum and since I have to remove the "hush panel" is why it is only heard inside.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:36 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 186 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Re: Replace the power brake booster? (Southern Comfort)

After donating some blood to the underdash area, I found an extension at Sears the is like a spring. Once I hooked that up, the underdash nuts were a 5 minute job. Pays to have the right tools!!
Old 10-16-2003, 06:05 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Replace the power brake booster? (vinnies87)

I went to AutoZone last night to order the BB and their suppliers are both out. I then went to O'Reilly and the price matched Autozone. Both have lifetime guarantees. If I can get someone to post pics after I get done, I will try to take pics while I do the job this weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace the power brake booster?

Quick Reply: Replace the power brake booster?