Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

nyone with the vert considered using the boot release button as a speed brake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 05:14 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default nyone with the vert considered using the boot release button as a speed brake?

Ok, I know this sounds dumb, but Im sure some of you have been thinking about this too.

Youd have to wire it differently, because it normally wont work with the key on, but...

While on a hi-speed run, top down, hitting the console button for the lid release to open acting as a speed brake when the deck lid pops open.

Some people will probably think you'd wreck, or the deck lid would get ripped off, but I dont think youd do either.

Its pretty sturdy

Anyone ever tried this?
Old 10-28-2003, 05:22 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: nyone with the vert considered using the boot release button as a speed brake? (dizwiz24)

The middle pedal or the far left pedal, depending upon your choice of tranny, works much better at scrubbing off speed.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:26 PM
Southern Comfort
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: nyone with the vert considered using the boot release button as a speed brake? (dizwiz24)

Just add a Drag Chute. :yesnod:
Old 10-28-2003, 06:00 PM
SonnyinVA
Melting Slicks

Ok, I know this sounds dumb
:withstupid: :D :D :rofl: :rofl:
Old 10-28-2003, 06:10 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I know you're kidding :crazy:
Old 10-28-2003, 06:15 PM
YellowYbody
Pro

Default Re: nyone with the vert considered using the boot release button as a speed brake? (SonnyinVA)

:skep: :leaving:
Old 10-28-2003, 06:36 PM
flyersfan1088
Melting Slicks

I pray I'm not driving behind you when you try this.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:41 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Ok, I know this sounds dumb, but Im sure some of you have been thinking about this too.

Youd have to wire it differently, because it normally wont work with the key on, but...

While on a hi-speed run, top down, hitting the console button for the lid release to open acting as a speed brake when the deck lid pops open.

Some people will probably think you'd wreck, or the deck lid would get ripped off, but I dont think youd do either.

Its pretty sturdy

Anyone ever tried this?
I am looking at taking this one step further! In addition to the deck lid poping open at high speed, I am thinking of a hydraulic ram that would lift the convertible top up and upright out of the storage area.

This will surely slow your car down!

At first I was concerned about the loss of vision with the rear view miror blocked by the convertible top...but after much contemplation, I have decide you will be able to see through the hole in the top! You might get a little distracted from the vinyly kind of wiping around!

Seriously...I for one have never, ever, contemplated poping the rear deck lid at speed for additional braking!!!

I don't have too! I keep the 30 lb sea anchor and the pail of half inch chain right behinf the seat...in an emergency, just toss out the anchor

:seeya
Old 10-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

:lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 10-28-2003, 09:29 PM
1989redvette
Burning Brakes

i hope your joking!!!!!!! if not don't prove darwins theory any more correct than it allready has been!!! that thing would fold back and lay flat across the back of the car in a split second...... :lol: but if you must prove yourself to be a moron please take pics or better yet a video!!! :thumbs:
Old 10-28-2003, 09:46 PM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Default Re: nyone with the vert considered using the boot release button as a speed brake? (1989redvette)

Hell, I'm afraid to open my console lid while moving with the top down. All my paperwork, registration, etc, blows out.

Mark
Old 10-28-2003, 09:59 PM
jsquared94
Drifting

Default Re: nyone with the vert considered using the boot release button as a speed brake? (C4 Newbie)

Happened to me just today!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=680499

It didn't appear to do anything to the hatch, but I'm sure the turbulence wasn't good for things. It's scary enough when it happens randomly; don't try to do it intentionally!

Jared :flag
Old 10-30-2003, 08:07 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Kandy azzes :rolleyes: If you really wann rub off some speed do one of those gansta turns where you pull hard on the E-brake and whip the wheel hard over so you are goin backwards. THEN (ta-da) pop that clamshell hood! When that baby flips up you got you sum speed brakin bubba! :hat :hat :hat :reddevil :reddevil :reddevil
Old 10-30-2003, 09:01 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

only in your dreams......
Old 10-31-2003, 10:00 AM
Paul Campbell
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: nyone with the vert considered using the boot release button as a speed brake? (corvetteronw)

"...pop that clamshell hood..."

Actually had this happen to me one time when I was at a track day at Waterford Hills in Michigan with my old '86. I had opened the hood between heats to let it cool down and did not close it completely before returning to the track. At the end of the first straight under braking the hood began to rise. I modulated braking to keep it from raising far enought to obscure my vision and returned to the pits. Needless to say, checking the hood became a regular part of my pre-flight.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:29 AM
sgtmadman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: nyone with the vert considered using the boot release button as a speed brake? (Paul Campbell)

Personally, I just drive around with my hardtop on, but not bolted on. I have chained the hardtop to my 6-speed shifter, and when I need to slow down quickly, I just push the hardtop off the back of the 'vette. Nothing like the friction of the hardtop dragging on the asphalt to slow me down.

:party:

PS sorry for the sarcasm, but I couldn't resist
Old 10-31-2003, 11:58 AM
edsalinas
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: nyone with the vert considered using the boot release button as a speed brake? (jackdaroofer)

I've gotta get me a vert so I can try some of these cooool tricks, can't believe what I've been missing out on...........

:D
Old 10-31-2003, 12:08 PM
Caboboy
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22
'23-'24

I wanna sit down and share one o those things yer smokin' Bubba :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To nyone with the vert considered using the boot release button as a speed brake?

Quick Reply: nyone with the vert considered using the boot release button as a speed brake?