Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Tie rod ends, easy to replace as it looks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 01:24 AM
MagikDraggin
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Tie rod ends, easy to replace as it looks?

Got some play in the tie rod ends. The shop wants 2 and a quarter to do the job; of course plus alignment afterwards.

This looks like a really simple job. Is it worth doing myself to save a couple bills? Is the $225.00 estimate at least reasonable?

Old 03-20-2004, 03:12 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Tie rod ends, easy to replace as it looks? (MagikDraggin)

Are we talking about front or rear tie rod ends? Both are equally easy to install, the rear ones cost more.

For the front, figure on around $50 a piece. Simply remove the tire and support the car on a jack stand, remove the cotter pin and nut, and use a tie rod fork and mallet to separate the tie rod end from the knuckle. Mark the threads so that you reinstall the new one in the same position. Unscrew the old one, and it's off. Just reverse the process to install the new one, using a new cotter pin. It's that easy. Will take less than 15 minutes per side.

The rear tie rod ends are exactly the same process, but figure about $85-100 each.

I do recommend a 4 wheel alignment any time you do any suspension or steering work. This should run between $50-75, shop around. There is nothing mysterious about the C4 suspension, so don't let them charge you the "Corvette Tax" to do your alignment.

Total cost for the front:

2 x $50 = $100 for parts
1 x $75 = $75 for alignment.

Total cost = $175 for both front tie rod ends. Spend 30 minutes of your time and pay yourself the other $125

[Modified by Frizlefrak, 1:24 AM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 04:01 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Tie rod ends, easy to replace as it looks? (Frizlefrak)

:iagree:
Well said.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:13 PM
MagikDraggin
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

2 x $50 = $100 for parts

Total cost = $175 for both front tie rod ends. Spend 30 minutes of your time and pay yourself the other $125

I checked back with them and they said it would cost between $100 and $150 for the alignment, on top of the 2 and a quarter for replacing the tie rod ends....and yes they are the fronts.

You're right....they are charging me the dreaded "Corvette Tax".

It did look to be as simple of a job as you mentioned, but I just wanted to check with you guys before trying it. I hate surprises.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

It did look to be as simple of a job as you mentioned, but I just wanted to check with you guys before trying it. I hate surprises.
The only surprise you will get is how quick and easy it is. :cool: :cheers:

BTW, you can borrow the tie rod fork from AutoZone for free, no need to buy one. Have fun, and enjoy your savings. :chevy :chevy
Old 03-21-2004, 09:55 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If your good with a tape measure, you can reset toe yourself
:cheers:
Old 03-21-2004, 10:11 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Tie rod ends, easy to replace as it looks? (AGENT 86)

I just replaced both front tie rods and 1 rear. I got the from Chris @ Superior Chevy. I noticed that they have done away with the cotter key on all 3. They went to a nut with a plastic insert (teflon?). Amyone else come across this set up?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:05 PM
ZD1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just did the rear joint and I didn't even use the tie rod tool...because it was too small for the rear knuckle. Take a peak and make sure that you get the approx size. I just ended up taking a dead blow hammer (steel shot) and rachet to it. I used the racket as the striking surface and whacked it real good with the hammer.

For the front, a safe error would be toe in (the front tires point in). Ever car will have have some toe in to enhance "self centering", some AutoXer's will add toe out to gain twitchness to the car. Either too much of either will cause increased mileage and tire wear.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:00 AM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 x $50 = $100 for parts

[Modified by Frizlefrak, 1:24 AM 3/20/2004]
And the new one don't have the grease nipple anymore. No more regrease every so often.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:01 AM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy is a relative term.
On a lift its easy on your back with 5ins of clearance its a bi-ch.
If you do it be sure and mark the threads on the old tie rods for a 1st setting on the alignment.
The following users liked this post:
skyhawk50 (06-14-2017)
Old 03-22-2004, 02:29 AM
MagikDraggin
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Tie rod ends, easy to replace as it looks? (redwing76)

Thanks Friz and Redwing, I am encouraged by your encouragement.

I'll let y'all know how it went. If it's not any harder than my climbing in and out of the cockpit of this beast at 62, I got it made!
:seeya
Old 03-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Gooseit
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

I just replaced the outer tire rod ends on the front of my 95 last week. It took
less the thirty minutes. I put duct tape around the rod before removing the old tire rod and put the new ones back on up to the tape. Then had it aligned. The man at the shop said I had it very close.

Tire Rods $98.00 for both.
Aligned front end 62.00

Gooseit
:auto:

[Modified by Gooseit, 8:26 AM 3/22/2004]
Old 03-22-2004, 07:15 PM
MagikDraggin
Drifting

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Tie rod ends, easy to replace as it looks? (Gooseit)

Yep! Just as you guys said it would be.....that job was a piece o' cake! I didn't even need the "fork" to break them loose from the knuckles. Just took the castle-ated lock nuts off, broke the jam nut loose, wiggled the rotor a little and the tie rod dropped right out of the knuckle.

Toughest part of the job was jacking the front end up. And mechanics get better than a hundred bucks to do this?.......what an eff'n rip-off!

Not everything that needs to be done on a Corvette is a PITA job. Thanks for all the help and encouragement guys!

Yep, you guys are the greatest

:cheers: :seeya

[Modified by MagikDraggin, 5:50 PM 3/23/2004]
Old 03-23-2004, 04:07 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Toughest part of the job was jacking the front end up. And mechanics get better than a hundred bucks to do this?.......what an eff'n rip-off!
:cheers: :seeya
Very true. Glad you were able to do it yourself and save yourself come cash. :cheers: :party:
Old 06-14-2017, 08:43 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Zombie Thread Alert

Researching this fix for my '96. Naturally, I have a stupid question.

While checking part availability, I'm seeing inner and outer tie rod ends. Are you guys replacing both or just the outer?
Old 06-14-2017, 10:36 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield

While checking part availability, I'm seeing inner and outer tie rod ends. Are you guys replacing both or just the outer?
I replaced both on my 90 this spring. I figured since I'm there I might as well tackle both.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:52 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Pretty sure they are talking about outers: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=451&jsn=451

Also this thread is from 2004. Some people may no longer be with the forum, and those still here may not be following the thread any longer.
To get a definitive answer to your question, you might start a new thread, including a link to this thread as reference.

Get notified of new replies

To Tie rod ends, easy to replace as it looks?

Old 06-15-2017, 12:08 AM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Was estimate including parts, was it just for worn outers? You could do yourself and get alignment if that price is just labor you save about $200 if they quote you just labor. Only replace what is worn usually outers go first, you can get them with grease fitting.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:35 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
Pretty sure they are talking about outers: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=451&jsn=451

Also this thread is from 2004. Some people may no longer be with the forum, and those still here may not be following the thread any longer.
To get a definitive answer to your question, you might start a new thread, including a link to this thread as reference.
Thanks. I'm thinking outer too.

This thread showed up on a google search. Thus the "zombie thread alert" in my post. I would be delighted to hear from the OP, but he was 62 in 2004. Probably he has mastered the C4 and moved on to a C6 by now.

I'm going to take a closer look to try and see where the play is. So far I just did the raise, grab and try to wiggle. No play at 12 and 6, but lots at 3 and 9.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:47 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Thanks. I'm thinking outer too.

This thread showed up on a google search. Thus the "zombie thread alert" in my post. I would be delighted to hear from the OP, but he was 62 in 2004. Probably he has mastered the C4 and moved on to a C6 by now.

I'm going to take a closer look to try and see where the play is. So far I just did the raise, grab and try to wiggle. No play at 12 and 6, but lots at 3 and 9.

Zombie thread alert LOL... now I get it

I have the exact same symptoms (no play at 12 and 6, noticeable play at 3 and 9), thus my interest in this thread. I'm thinking outer tie rod ends but need to investigate further - I don't want to just throw parts at it, I want to actually see where the looseness is before ordering anything. The alignment is correct and the car drives OK but sometimes it wanders more than I think it should, seems like another symptom of loose tie rods.

Quick Reply: Tie rod ends, easy to replace as it looks?