Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bought my first Vette 3 weeks ago...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 04:26 AM
weo89vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bought my first Vette 3 weeks ago...

I finally bought my first vette. Its a RED 1989, with black leather interior, only 49k original miles, and a 6-speed. I love the 6-speed. Even in the CA bay area where I commute about 75 miles round trip each day. I can't believe how many of these cars came with the automatic. Anyway, I got a great deal on it, and I didn't even buy it on E-bay. I bought it from a local guy who took such great care of it that the car just sat in the garage all the time. I guess since he wasn't driving it he decided to sell the car.

I bought this car to drive ( of course, I will be taking good care of it as well). I wanted something fun to drive, so I could keep some miles off my Dodge Ram truck. I couldn't have made a better choice. I can't believe I'm getting 23mpg in a V8 powered car. Let alone a corvette.

Everything about this car is excellent, except for one thing that has been driving me nuts.... the BOSE stereo hums like crazy. Has anyone else had this problem, and can you tell me how to fix it???????? I really don't want to replace the factory stereo. I'm even thinking about digging out my old cassette collection of 80's and early 90's heavy metal/hard rock to listen to while I drive. Any help with this would be greatly appriciated.

One more thing, are there any corvette only shows/events in the CA bay area, or within a 1-2 hr. drive. I've been a reqular attendee at the Alameda county fairgrounds for the 'All American Get togethers', and I've driven out to Turlock for the Swap meets, but I've never heard of anything vette specific in the area.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:32 AM
Midnite 88
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.

The humming you hear from the factory installed "Blose" system is leaking "caps" (capacitors) in the amplifiers. The system has an amplifier for each speaker. The replacement amps are quite expensive.

I have had the 2 rear amps fixed by a local stereo shop for $15.00ea.

There is a "Tech Tip" here on the forum that shows which caps to replace if you are a diyer.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Mike.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:23 AM
DriveIt
Intermediate

Welcome the the world of C4!

'Midnight88' is probably right about the Bose problem.

Can't help with local show info, but crank up a web search engine and look for Corvette clubs in your area. Most clubs will have an event schedule and links to other groups. Also look at local charity events. In my area, they often hold open corvette shows when they want to bring in lots of people. The National Council of Corvette Clubs (NCCC) has lots of club links also.

Loud road music - Most of the good stuff is available on CD now. Dump the tapes; even a Bose cassette can't match a CD.
A couple of my favorites:
AC/DC Back in Black disc.
MC5 Kick out the Jams disc.
Corvette exhaust sound.

Terry
Old 07-22-2004, 08:29 AM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Welcome aboard!
Old 07-22-2004, 08:37 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome aboard
Here is some bose repair info
http://12.212.62.128/old_proj15/old_proj15.html
http://www.zr1.net/amp.html
http://www.zr1.net/Bose2.pdf
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=91&TopicID=2
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=58&TopicID=2
Old 07-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Stv50
Melting Slicks

Welcome
Old 07-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

congrats and welcome! you have a real gem. having an '89 AND ZF-6 is VERY desireable, way to go!
Old 07-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! `89s are a great year, last year of the digital dash and first year of the 6-speed.
Check out CFs events & regional forums for the pacific area. I didn't know the section existed until a couple of weeks ago. I found it in time to join some other members for a rally from Denver to Estes Park and the Stanley Hotel (aka Stephen Kings hotel from The Shinning). We have lots of pictures posted in the Mountain section. Its a blast to drive down the road with a bunch of other Corvettes.

Last edited by Z-07 freak; 07-22-2004 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:48 PM
weo89vette
Advanced

Default Remove the Cassette player? Replace with CD?

AC/DC Back in Black would have been my first choice too.

Are there any factory style CD players available that are exact replacments for the BOSE cassette player in my '89. I put an aftermarket pioneer in my truck when the factory system died, and I have never been happy with the way it looked.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought my first Vette 3 weeks ago...

Quick Reply: Bought my first Vette 3 weeks ago...