C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Does the airfoil work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Darth Vader
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the airfoil work?

I was looking for some cheap modes to do on my 1996 coupe LT1.
Does the airfoil and K&N filter really work? If they dont are there some cheap modes that do work and what are they??
Old 12-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

From what I have heard no the air foil is NG
Old 12-08-2004, 03:39 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For the hundredth time this week
Old 12-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
LOL... Being new is fine - the quesitons are always the same, but the people are different. Not everybody comes from other message boards, so they might not know about the "Search" feature (hint-hint, Vader).

HOWever...it is generally accepted here, DV, that the TB AirFoil doesn't do anything for our cars in moderately stock trim. If you had a race-built machine that was pushing 600-700hp - sure, couldn't hurt. However, for you...save your money.

As for the K&N filters, they can be had new from parts stores, catalogues (Eclkers, MidAmerica, etc.), or used in the "For Sale" section here on Corvette Forum or on eBay. I got mine off eBay for $20...a major savings there over new. Re: the lid, you can either cut your current lid yourself with a dremel or sawzall, or you purchase one from the above-listed companies (Ecklers, MA) for a small price. It's worth doing...you won't necessarily feel a huge kick in the pants, but your car will breathe better. Best of luck!
Old 12-08-2004, 03:54 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by Perfusion
LOL... Being new is fine - the quesitons are always the same, but the people are different. Not everybody comes from other message boards, so they might not know about the "Search" feature (hint-hint, Vader).

HOWever...it is generally accepted here, DV, that the TB AirFoil doesn't do anything for our cars in moderately stock trim. If you had a race-built machine that was pushing 600-700hp - sure, couldn't hurt. However, for you...save your money.
Just playin Perfusion... I figured after our PM thread I had to say that...
Old 12-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kwik_ta
Just playin Perfusion... I figured after our PM thread I had to say that...
LOL...right on.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:33 PM
MinnesotaWhite
Le Mans Master

It was actually funny...Horsepower TV had a Camaro strapped to a dyno and did a couple of pulls...then all they did was put the airfoil on and did a few more pulls...identicle numbers!

Myron made his dough on that (TPIS) years ago...I'd bet when it first came out there were people all over the place swearing they felt something from installing it!
Old 12-08-2004, 08:40 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

I washed my car the other day and could have sworn i picked up 5 or 10 horsepower. With a wax job i bet it would have felt like 15.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:39 PM
jerryL98
Instructor

Looky here

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=956100
Old 12-08-2004, 10:10 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Gordon Killebrew and Ron Kane during one of their Bloomington Gold classes were asked the same question. The answer: "They are a waste of money. Don't you think that GM would have put one on the car if it helped?" Also: "Some of my customers have had carbon build up on them causing performance losses."
Old 12-08-2004, 10:11 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

junk
Old 12-09-2004, 03:17 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
I've noticed quite a few threads lately where people ask a question and are greeted with nothing but flames and extreme harshness.
A guy goes out and gets his first Corvette, finds the forum and and wants to share his enthusiasium with the brotherhood. He starts reading about these neat horsepower gizmos and pops the questions to his new found friends.

Hey, I did the same thing! And shared my humility getting scammed on an Ebay TB bypass kit. Now that I've been here on the forum for a year, Its easy to see the cycle of questions as the new members begin their quest.

Now its winter time and most are either storing their Vettes or replacing the heater cores. Some are preping or pulling motors or polishing suspensions. Next spring we'll see the problems with keeping batteries charged and why won't my Vette start? Well, that one is around all year long. And during the summer we'll share great stories of gatherings and shows and races.

Noob's are what keeps the cycle going. Lets try to remember where we came from....... -JRC-
Old 12-09-2004, 03:45 AM
ClarenceT
Drifting

Originally Posted by MinnesotaWhite
It was actually funny...Horsepower TV had a Camaro strapped to a dyno and did a couple of pulls...then all they did was put the airfoil on and did a few more pulls...identicle numbers!

Myron made his dough on that (TPIS) years ago...I'd bet when it first came out there were people all over the place swearing they felt something from installing it!
That's because they didn't know what they were doing. They used a dyno that measure RWHP. What they needed was a dyno that measures PHP (Placebo horsepower)... As somsone on here said earlier, placebo horsepower is closely tied in with how much money you spent on the part, and increases exponentially if blood was involved during the installation
Old 12-09-2004, 04:53 AM
Bruthish
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'06-'08-'09

I wish it did something...but it don't. Spend your money elsewhere!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:46 AM
USA-VET
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Justardnck
From what I have heard no the air foil is NG
Old 12-09-2004, 06:46 AM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

sure it works, but for the money I would go with the more traditional style

Old 12-09-2004, 08:10 AM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
A guy goes out and gets his first Corvette, finds the forum and and wants to share his enthusiasium with the brotherhood. He starts reading about these neat horsepower gizmos and pops the questions to his new found friends.

Hey, I did the same thing! And shared my humility getting scammed on an Ebay TB bypass kit. Now that I've been here on the forum for a year, Its easy to see the cycle of questions as the new members begin their quest.

Now its winter time and most are either storing their Vettes or replacing the heater cores. Some are preping or pulling motors or polishing suspensions. Next spring we'll see the problems with keeping batteries charged and why won't my Vette start? Well, that one is around all year long. And during the summer we'll share great stories of gatherings and shows and races.

Noob's are what keeps the cycle going. Lets try to remember where we came from....... -JRC-

Well put!!

Get notified of new replies

To Does the airfoil work?

Old 12-09-2004, 09:01 AM
SilverBeast
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

It works for the people who manufacture and sell it - after they get your money
Old 12-09-2004, 09:39 AM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
A guy goes out and gets his first Corvette, finds the forum and and wants to share his enthusiasium with the brotherhood. He starts reading about these neat horsepower gizmos and pops the questions to his new found friends......

Very well put... I want to state that I have no intentions of bashing the person who started this thread... or anyone else who has done this, but this exact same question was addressed on Monday. I have seen several instances where there is the exact same question posted within as close of a time frame as hours of each other... that gets a little absurd.

Now in the same token... When I owned my Trans Am, I was one of the idiots who wasted senseless money on useless parts... and yes I bought an airfoil. I am glad that there are forums like this one where people can go out and ask... "Hey have you tried this?" Hell I posted a thread asking if a Viper rear end would "bolt up" to a vette as easily as it is to install a 9" rear in a Camaro. I thought it was a stupid question, but CFI-EFI and Bogus saved me $800+ if I chose to give it a shot.

This forum has been established to bring Corvette performance enthusiasts together to share thoughts and ideas... and I for one am glad to be a part of it. I do however believe that everyone, including myself, needs to read the sticky threads that Bogus slaved over and learn how to use the search feature.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:45 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by MinnesotaWhite
I saw that show and believe it was an Impala SS (LT1), but the results were the same: no measurable gain on the dyno.

Larry

Quick Reply: Does the airfoil work?